S.NERD.NU Now and Then

Malvagio87

Now and Then  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with my post?

Many people now don't remember my name but I was a regular on these servers for a long time.  S.NERD.NU is the only reason I played Minecraft and I am thankful for that.  Back when I used to play here the game was a lot simpler.  

• ·         Younger kids did not know what Minecraft was and the average age of the player base was probably around 21-25.
  • ·         On S you were only allowed to lock 5 chests.
  • ·         There were no enchantments, potions, or hunger.  
  • ·         You would never think of using diamonds for armor unless you wanted to paint a big kill me target on your back.  
  • ·         Mushroom soup was the meal of choice and you would unload arrows like it was your job.  
  • ·         People would PvP all the time and you generally didn't care about losing your PvP items
  • ·         And when I would break my glass builds MCondom would explode with warnings and I would see mods pop up left and right.

Back then I always bothered Amaranthus to add more plugins and he never did stating that, "We want these servers to be as vanilla as possible."

Those were the good old days. However, the game has developed a lot more since then adding a lot of new features which I both understand and agree with since without them the game would have died long ago.  I also understand the need to go away from being vanilla since the game has become unbalanced over the updates.

When I left I left due to disputes with the staff at that time and created my own server.  That was almost 2 years ago. Now that I am done running my server I figured I would come back to where Minecraft started for me and after playing the past few days I have become disappointed in seeing what S.NERD.NU has become.

What I see now is a server that has lost its identity.

I understand the need to adapt to the changes to the game since if you don’t keep it interesting then no one will play; however, I believe the changes that have been made on S have been made to appease players that want “free stuff” and have discouraged many of the older players that enjoyed playing here from coming back.

Essentially what I see S.NERD.NU as today is a factions-ish server wannabe tailoring to players who don’t want to have to work hard for anything. I understand that grinding for hours is not fun and/or players don’t have time to do that, however, you need to find an appropriate balance that still makes the game challenging yet fun to play.

Simple clans is a nice plugin and I like the concept behind it, however, I believe that since it has no built in chat functionality it is kind of pointless to use. The colored chat tags do not bother me as it does some people.  I would like to see the Clan Tags being enabled under the players’ names as well so that when you are running around you can see who is in what clan. I also do not agree with the fact you cannot hurt your allies or clan members.  In a fight if someone swings their sword or throws a potion they should be mindful of when and how they are doing it.  Giving protection to allies and clan members just causes people to gang up and button mash away at their opponents taking any real skill at PvPing away from the game.

Another thing I do not like is the fact of how easy enchanting is now.  I understand the reasoning behind making enchanting easier which I am assuming is to encourage people to PvP more and be less worried about losing their gear.  That being said making enchanting as easy as it is now you might as well just give people the /kit command.  When you add the XP bonus to mobs + the ability to pick which enchants you want + the ability to remove enchants from items, you take all the challenge out of it.

In regards to the beds being enabled I do like this since I usually build very far away from spawn, however, by enabling beds you make players spread out more which decreases the amount of PvPing that will happen.  If you have beds enabled I think you should make the map size smaller even though I feel that a radius of 2,000 is small to begin with.

Also I am not sure if there are still Arena events held on S but those were some of my favorites to watch and take part in.  Having a set schedule of PvP related events on S would be a nice thing to add if it isn’t already.

I would also think it would be interesting to do a “Spleef League” on S.  I am aware that Spleef is more of a PvE thing, however, I quite enjoy it and just because I am a PvP player doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the PvE elements of the game.

That all being said I wouldn’t mind seeing a factions.nerd.nu that isn’t driven by donation ranks.  It would be nice to see a factions based server where everyone is equal and you don’t get to buy your way to being good.

But these are just my opinions.

• Upvote 1

That all being said I wouldn’t mind seeing a factions.nerd.nu that isn’t driven by donation ranks. It would be nice to see a factions based server where everyone is equal and you don’t get to buy your way to being good.

Due to limited resources avalible on the server, this might be hard to do Edited by coolgamerovr90

That all being said I wouldn’t mind seeing a factions.nerd.nu that isn’t driven by donation ranks.  It would be nice to see a factions based server where everyone is equal and you don’t get to buy your way to being good.

I am confused where you get this from. Nerd has never and will never reward people, or give them a advantage for donating. I don't understand where your getting this from.

• Upvote 3

Due to limited resources avalible on the server, this might be hard to do

It would have to be hosted on a new server which i expressed i would not mind paying for the first month for.

I am confused where you get this from. Nerd has never and will never reward people, or give them a advantage for donating. I don't understand where your getting this from.

That comment was directed towards Factions servers, like my own and most others, that were/are donation rank driven. I think it would be nice for a Factions server not to have donation ranks which i would believe the Nerd one wouldn't.

• Upvote 2

Last time I suggested a nerd factions / raiding server (about a year ago) I was politely told to blow it out my ass.

In regards to enchanting, Mojang have announced some changes to enchanting in 1.8. Basically, there's a level requirement of 30 to do high-level enchants, but they only COST 2 or 3 levels. So once you get to level 30, it's easy to do many enchantments at that level. Hopefully this wil obviate the need for enchantism and XP boost, and make things a bit harder, but still balanced.

• Upvote 3

Last time I suggested a nerd factions / raiding server (about a year ago) I was politely told to blow it out my ass.

In regards to enchanting, Mojang have announced some changes to enchanting in 1.8. Basically, there's a level requirement of 30 to do high-level enchants, but they only COST 2 or 3 levels. So once you get to level 30, it's easy to do many enchantments at that level. Hopefully this wil obviate the need for enchantism and XP boost, and make things a bit harder, but still balanced.

Last time i suggested hosting a server for nerd i was told that i would have to give full control of my server over to nerd if they were to use it lol

I don't know if they will do a factions server, but I think it would be good to try. Could also try implementing the wars into simpleclans: http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/simpleclans/#w-color-1061b3-war-color . Like I said in my previous post on the simpleclans feedback thread "Right now we have rivalries which are fine, but there is no actual war. Survival would be more fun if there was more risk to the server. War doesn't need to be implemented like that, but something with more risk would make survival more fun." Some sort of war would be fun.

Last time i suggested hosting a server for nerd i was told that i would have to give full control of my server over to nerd if they were to use it lol

That doesn't seem that far fetched in the sense that it would be very bad if someone were to essentially hold a nerd server hostage because they own it, and possibly demand various rule changes ect.

Also, an S town tried to do spleef 2 revs ago. Needless to say it didn't end well. It would have to be staff run for it to really be successful, and as you said it's more PvE's thing.

People tend to dislike vanilla enchanting because in when PvP'ing you need your gear to be as good as possible, and having to waste dias and time on crap enchants is worse than letting people pick them. When enchantism was introduced I actually got to do some PvP'ing for once, instead of hiding away in a base not doing anything.

Also, an S town tried to do spleef 2 revs ago. Needless to say it didn't end well. It would have to be staff run for it to really be successful, and as you said it's more PvE's thing.

As a member of that town and person who took part in the spleefing I don't know what you're talking about. We all expected to be attacked, and the only reason the first time didn't go well was because like 20 PvE players joined at once. You would have to be an idiot to not notice that. In the end, some good PvP was caused by it. After that, when we had the postponed Spleef event at a later time, people joined slowly, we had a bunch of great spleef matches, and we were not seriously attacked a single time.

As a member of that town and person who took part in the spleefing I don't know what you're talking about. We all expected to be attacked, and the only reason the first time didn't go well was because like 20 PvE players joined at once. You would have to be an idiot to not notice that. In the end, some good PvP was caused by it. After that, when we had the postponed Spleef event at a later time, people joined slowly, we had a bunch of great spleef matches, and we were not seriously attacked a single time.

I was one of the citizens and can confirm this too; we expected an attack.  The next spleef was impromptu/announced more silently, and that was a greater success.  From a player perspective, the disincentive to holding a player-hosted spleef event on S is the possibility of it being disrupted by an attack; this was exactly what happened the first time, and some players who came out for spleef the first time (unsuccessful) did not return for the second (successful).  

• Upvote 2