PvE: Thousands of entities in Whiteoak!

Asterix1806

Hi! For whatever reason there appears to be thousands of entities somewhere in Whiteoak. They cause crippling lag that leaves me unable to do anything.

hFYHKBSl.png

The previous picture is taken right in the eye of the storm: I am completely unable to move where I am, and it must have taken 20 seconds just to get that picture.

It was hypothesized that arrows in Whiteoak-Port80's Skeleton Grinder could be the cause of this. I find that a credible explanation as the massive lag spike is only detected in a small area in and around where I am in the picture, hinting that the entities are probably deep underground.

Whatever the reason, I hope someone can fix this in a timely manner. I'm absolutely stuck for the time being.

Just to let everyone know that the staff do know about this and will keep an eye out if it persists (it was most perplexing :S).  In the meantime, if you do get stuck there, my advice is to log back in right after the server restarts (15 minutes past even hours in Mountain time) - whatever happens does clear away pretty soon after a restart.

So we reached 1780 entities today. We think it may be something with our skeleton grinder and think it may be the arrows that they are shooting. Other then that though we have no idea.

I'm 100% sure its the arrows they fire at you, which hit the wall in the grinder shute. I have seen the problem before, on s.nerd.nu, and last rev at Praha Way. The despawn rate should be around 5 minutes, but clearly something isn't working. They do appear to despawn on restart, which atleast is a good thing.

On Praha Way's grinder in rev 12 (after we updated to 1.7 and this became an issue) I adjusted the killing area for the skeletons so they could no longer "see" a player as they were grinding and this eliminated the arrows they fired into the wall.  See if you can make a modification to the grinder that accomplishes this.

I've also poked the tech admins regarding the possibility of increasing the frequency of our removal of arrows (see nerdbugs:186) to help with the issue.

On Praha Way's grinder in rev 12 (after we updated to 1.7 and this became an issue) I adjusted the killing area for the skeletons so they could no longer "see" a player as they were grinding and this eliminated the arrows they fired into the wall.  See if you can make a modification to the grinder that accomplishes this.

I've also poked the tech admins regarding the possibility of increasing the frequency of our removal of arrows (see nerdbugs:186) to help with the issue.

I can see if I can make a modification to the grinder to help with this. I also added my suggestion about increasing the frequency of /rem arrows 1000000 to the NerdBugs report.