PvE End Grinder

SwitchViewz

Hey there everyone I think we need to have a quick discussion about the whole end grinder situation. Before I start I have no idea if this has been discussed in admin chat. For those of you out of the loop: TLDR End grinder was built, a second end grinder was built by S players for the purpose of PvP and possibly trolling. Ever since arguments have been rampant and general chat has gotten chaotic occasionally.

I don't know if I know the whole story or not but the conversations that I have had in game and in mumble are a mixture of frustration and annoyance. Players are frustrated that people can purposely screw up the spawning of endermen but it technically doesn't violate any rules. They feel it violates the the spiritual rules of PvE or that it violates the old being a dick rule or something else. They are stirring up a lot of chaos and argument and no official word has come out.

I don't want this post to be long and drawn out but me and many other players are getting really tired of the constant bickering and fighting going on among players about the end grinder. I have tried to ask people to keep things calm and civil and asked players nicely to drop it in general chat. After tonight though and the backlash I got from issuing greentext for the conversation something needs to be said. The padmins need to either open up some sort of discussion on the rules that people are having a issue with or they need to say that nothing is going to happen as it doesn't violate any rules.

I have yet to mute anyone or anything else over the argument but I keeping getting a lot of complaints from PMs and Mumble and people are tired of the arguing in general chat. Something needs to be said so that we can at least try to calm this situation down.

• Upvote 1

Speaking on behalf of the Padmins, we have been following the situation for some time now.  We've noted that there is a lot of drama surrounding it, as well as the accusations of foul play, but haven't arrived at anything firm yet.  We'll get back to you when we do.

For now, as with any excessively negative chat, you have the authority to ask the topic be dropped, as you have been doing.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer than this...we'll do our best to expedite our response.

• Upvote 1

I was actually the mod who ended up doing the protection modreq for it and chatter with FatherSouth about it at the same time. What struck me odd is that it apparently has an on/off switch which he claims to turn into off mode when he's not online and atleast then the switch wasn't public. I'd like to know if this is something against the "all grinders need to be public". Didn't really comment about that to him, since I didn't know.

What it comes to the drama, it's ridiculous and some sort of official response would be great. Mostly it seems like people feel they are not listened to at all since they're getting nothing from staff other than requests to stop the bickering. The discussion is daily and you can feel the effect the whole situation has on the community. When it's not going on in global, it's going on in clanchats and people just generally are unhappy and thinking that people are purposefully trolling P for selfish reasons and going against (as Switch said) the spirit of P. 

The issue today was the castle on the main island. The lamps in it were switched off, and torches in their hallways were broken. This caused endermen to spawn all in there, disrupting both end grinders. It was done intentionally to disrupt spawn rates in the grinders. The situation was getting ridiculous, much to the enjoyment of those responsible I am certain, so I turned off mob spawning in the region until padmins decide what should be done officially about it. I take full responsibility for my actions, and apologize if I've overstepped my authority on the server.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there's anything in the rules against a second end grinder, but can't it be argued making it a PvP area restricts access to said grinder, or at least makes it extremely inhospitable to most people, thereby (sort of) breaking the rules? After all, most people would be scared of having an experienced PvP'er logging in right in front of them and taking all their valuables they were about to enchant, which I guess is the purpose of why they made the grinder PvP enabled in the first place.

Also, I agree we need to have some sort of policy to deal with this. I've used the original end grinder a lot this rev and there were already tensions due to the fact some of the people who created the second end grinder would just cut in line (I'd get a lot of messages and even a modreq or two asking if I can do anything about it), now that they have a second end grinder I can't imagine things getting any better.

From what I've heard, the second grinder was built as a response to dissatisfaction with how the first one is run, and the request for PvP is meant as a means for players to eliminate players that are being rude at the grinder.

That said, to set the record straight, PvP has never been enabled inside that grinder, regardless of what the signs may have implied. 

It's also worth noting that multiple End grinders on P is not new; there have been previous revs where there existed as many as three at once.  The issue, to me, that arose last night was not whether more than one End grinder should be allowed, but whether or not the alleged foul play that happened last night necessitates staff intervention.

Again, we'll get back with a decision as soon as we are able to.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate your kindheartedness buzzie... but the players who were being rude were the ones who created the 2nd grinder, there's no hiding the fact theat they have done this out of pure spite.

But yes... the more serious issue has to do with removing all the lights as retaliation to denying the pvp flag. Thanks for keeping us informed; always.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...