Note Removal Clarity

This topic was inspired by a comment FatherSouth made recently:

I was not aware until recently that we could appeal notes.

I was seeking clarification on note removal across the board. Since SkrapssparkS seems to have started this new note removal request just under a week ago, the three people who have requested notes to be removed have been done so (fairly in my opinion) at admin discretion, predominantly due to the factor of time.

A few questions came to mind after seeing these note removal requests. How long do people have to wait for to request the removal of a note? Are some notes considered permanent? Could notes be automatically be set up to be removed after a selected amount of time?

This topic is veered more towards the admin team but ultimately if I may request a clear guideline on note removal that could possibly be added into this topic.

I'd just like to point out that Skraps was not the first to appeal their note: Eehee was. 

EDIT: If anyone did it earlier, feel free to correct me. 

https://nerd.nu/forums/topic/3078-note-appeal-eehee-mrloud15/?hl=eehee

https://nerd.nu/forums/topic/3081-note-appeal-eehee-anyone-other-than-jchancemrloud15/?hl=eehee

https://nerd.nu/forums/topic/3082-note-appeal-version-30-eehee/?hl=eehee

I cannot speak for the admins, but from what I can see the major reason for keeping notes is to highlight behaviors of trolling/griefing etc, and if those behaviors are consistent or unappealed then they will be kept. 

• Upvote 1

I believe notes should remain for 1 month if in that time the player does not break any rules then they should be allowed to have it removed. Otherwise depending on how much more they do the note should remain from 2 months to indefinitely. I also believe after a player is banned for whatever reason the notes associated with that ban should all be removed and replaced with a "banned for x reason" note which could be removed 1 month after the ban. The reason for this is due to the fact that a note is not meant to be worse than a ban and if someone pops on the server minor griefs or some other small offense that isnt worth a ban and gets a permanent note whenever they log onto another server running mc bouncer / fishbans / whatever, the note will show and damage their reputation on that server. personally id rather a ban for a week on a server i dont plan on joining again than a perminant note that affects other servers.

Timed bans are something that is being investigated by Deaygo.  I will check on timed notes.

Right now, there is no policy on notes other than "If the staff member who added the note is inactive, a head admin will review the removal request."

I personally work off this system:

1.  Is it really old and no longer relevant?  then remove it.

2.  Does it reflect the behavior of the player currently?  then don't remove it.

• Upvote 4

Hey jchance- are you guys going to add an additional forum to the appeals categories on the forums specifically for note appeals? I ask because of the fact note appeals (might) have the ability to clutter the open ban appeals section up quite a bit. Possibly on nerd.nu/appeal, there is a checkbox which lets you choose between the two?

That's my thought if notes which automatically remove themselves wouldn't be feasible.

• Upvote 1

Avada- I doubt we'll make a new category.   I think this is really more of a fad in the sense that we're getting several now and it will calm down in a week or two.  If it continues to be a high volume thing we'll take a look at organizing them in to another forum section.

• Upvote 1

Avada- I doubt we'll make a new category. I think this is really more of a fad in the sense that we're getting several now and it will calm down in a week or two. If it continues to be a high volume thing we'll take a look at organizing them in to another forum section.

I think people saw one person do it and also started doing it. That's why I did it at least lol
  • Upvote 1