Standardized Signs for PvE

Cujobear

So I have always had a few issues with my favorite resource pack (Ovo's Rustic Redemption) but I continue to use it because, well, it's still my favorite.

One of the main issues is signs. I'm bringing this up now because of the Halloween event. When I went to trick-or-treat at spawn of course the signs looked weird they said, "YOUR WILL BE". Knowing my issue I switched to default to read the signs properly. 

This has not been the case for everyone. Last night and again this morning there have been numerous players who have lost stuff to the trick-or-treat Gods. I guess in a way, they got tricked.

Someone even posted about it on the subreddit this morning https://www.reddit.com/r/mcpublic/comments/3qdckj/the_darkest_reaches_of_halloween/

Would it be possible to have standardized signs in PvE? Someone once helped me find a standard banner mod (because they were glitched in Ovo's and all the banners were plain white). This way players could use whatever resource pack they wanted yet we could be assured that's signs were readable by all.  

Thank you,

cujobear

• Upvote 1

The biggest problem is that standard signs would ruin builds in which signs are used for aesthetics (chairs, wall paneling, etc.). An easy fix is to create a resource pack for yourself with signs/banners that you can read. A serverwide solution might resemble the optional Thanksgiving resource pack from rev14. You could allow your client to use it when you logged on.

i think the only way to do it is to have a server resource pack for signs that players allow, otherwise it doesn't sound like something we can do. 

Otherwise players are going to have to be aware of the limitations of their resource packs, and if a sign looks like it's missing words - ESPECIALLY a staff-placed sign - switch to vanilla to read it. 

I don't really think it's up to the admins to customise the server based on a faulty texture pack...

I didn't think I was asking to customize the entire server and I don't consider my texture pack faulty. I was asking if a plug-in type thing was possible, like the dopplegangers or armor stands. That was

Otherwise players are going to have to be aware of the limitations of their resource packs, and if a sign looks like it's missing words - ESPECIALLY a staff-placed sign - switch to vanilla to read it. 

That's what I had been doing because I thought it was just me. It wasn't until the trick or treat signs during Halloween that I realized it was a wider spread problem. 

As for creating a resource pack for myself, I think that is beyond my abilities (thanks for the vote of confidence Herr) I just wanted to hear some ideas tossed around on a good way to fix this. I will keep hunting for another resource pack and switching to default to read signs for now. 

Thanks for reading and discussing. 

I didn't think I was asking to customize the entire server and I don't consider my texture pack faulty. I was asking if a plug-in type thing was possible, like the dopplegangers or armor stands.

The only option we have is to suggest people use <server resource pack> via the texture-pack global setting in our server config. As far as I am aware and after a quick google we cannot force your resource pack not to do stupid things.

It could be wise that in future the color white is simply not used on signs. I think that is a reasonable outcome?

• Upvote 1

The signs were all typed in red text, I think (from the screenshots I've seen) the issue was that it was cutting off words, not ignoring the colors.

Cujo I have a similar problem with soartex, but in the other direction. If I make signs using it I can see *more* text than what vanilla can see, which then makes it look cut off for others other resource packs. I think the only real way to combat something like this is to just spread the word.