Regarding my last thread

cmdrtebok

We haven't had the fallout of someone being promoted too quickly. Please talk about the potential downsides, eg Nerd's reputation (and don't say it couldn't get lower, thats just a dumb move), with less subjectivity than you'd use to argue your side of a point.

Edited by tobylane

To be honest Toby, the only real downside it could have from player to moderator is a lack of knowledge of nerd.nu history... Many big important events happened that lead to how things get done today, and a lot of lessons are to be learned before  in advanced. But otherwise with a short and simple guide book for moderators on the many types of situations they may encounter... Not much really could go wrong... 

• Upvote 1

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhatCouldPossiblyGoWrong

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TemptingFate

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouJustHadToSayIt

And more. 

Can any current or recent (lets say trained in 2015) staff talk about what was missing from training, if any? The closest thing to a comment on this I've seen so far seemed to be someone saying they didn't get all their training.

Links from tvtropes are very off topic, we're not discussing the meaning and reality behind standard phrases towards what could go wrong. we're discussing what actually could go wrong.

there is little to no situational training. so when it comes to advanced concepts such as checking to see if someones edits are exclusively grief and deserve to be completely rolled back, because of this, most moderators on C will only roll back within the visible area of grief, and not the persons entire edit history. 

Server cross training was also not so good, while I was invited to be trained for survival during my time, there were no admin on survival to do so. And looking towards PVE they had not given me anything constructive, so when I went to PVE to help with a hackers grief issue, I did everything I knew to do from C, but I was still getting issues with inventory and redstone machines that were rotated incorrectly, my attempts to fix it were all failed because I don't have permission to edit in modmode on P... But how was I to know that?

• Upvote 2

Guest Former Staff
Can any current or recent (lets say trained in 2015) staff talk about what was missing from training, if any? The closest thing to a comment on this I've seen so far seemed to be someone saying they didn't get all their training.

I can share the other side if that helps somewhat?

I feel that when new moderators are trained, we cover the very basics. That takes around 1 hour 30 - 1 hour 45 minutes. Sadly, there's only so much that can be covered to begin with, given the ton of commands, guidelines, permissions and whatnot that goes on, without overloading people with information.

Shortly following the general training, we co-ordinate with server specific admins who run through how to moderate on a particular server with more confidence. P admins have a detailed document for new (and old) staff to use on P.

With some of the latest moderators, SirTacoface and I have made an effort to follow up with each individually, sometime in their early weeks to see how we can better support / bridge any gaps in training. So far I mainly hear that more practice / more modreqs is the main thing needed.

I think my initial training was adequate; most of my uselessness is totally on me, as I should be taking more initiative to self-study.

If there's one suggestion I'd make, it would be for admins to put together some kind of "handbooks" for us.

Right now, we have access to documents that are like dictionaries of the commands available to us, as well as general guidelines and rules.

It would be cool to have some sort of contextual resources as well, explaining how to handle certain types of modreqs. The chat trolling moderation handbook. The protections handbook. The grief repair handbook. The missing livestock handbook. Simple step-by-step guides as to the basic process of handling specific sorts of modreqs.

I would be willing to help write things like this if there are admins who'd like to work with me; hopefully that would help me learn the processes finally myself. :P

• Upvote 2

Guest Former Staff

I think my initial training was adequate; most of my uselessness is totally on me, as I should be taking more initiative to self-study.

If there's one suggestion I'd make, it would be for admins to put together some kind of "handbooks" for us.

Right now, we have access to documents that are like dictionaries of the commands available to us, as well as general guidelines and rules.

It would be cool to have some sort of contextual resources as well, explaining how to handle certain types of modreqs. The chat trolling moderation handbook. The protections handbook. The grief repair handbook. The missing livestock handbook. Simple step-by-step guides as to the basic process of handling specific sorts of modreqs.

I would be willing to help write things like this if there are admins who'd like to work with me; hopefully that would help me learn the processes finally myself. :P

I'll pm you the pve guide that Silversunset and the P admins put together.