How mods are chosen

Difficult1

Now the last few mod nominations made me a bit curious to how a mod is picked out from the rest of the players. I just want to know how the staff picks out the person and what traits do they look for? Another question i have is when a staff member picks someone to be mod, is it well discussed before voted on? 

Moderators look for players that show maturity and that understand the rules, they then suggest these names in a brainstorming thread, names are also given to moderators to put into the thread by other players or through nerd.nu/applyformod, any points as to why the player would or wouldn't make a good mod is brought up in these threads, then going on the situation of which server requires more moderators at the time and which players had the most support in the brainstorming thread, a list of candidates are made by the head admins, these players are all messaged to see if they are alright with being put into a voting thread, if they are alright with it they are then put into the voting thread where the moderators vote yes, no, or don't know well enough. These votes are then taken into account by the head admins along with any concerns players have with the candidates to help the head admins make a final decision. The mods that are selected by the head admins are then trained up by a head admin and some server admins.

You probably know most of the stuff already diff but if that is the whole selection process. 

• Upvote 2

any points as to why the player would or wouldn't make a good mod is brought up in these threads

Are said threads public? Like, how do we know who's being suggested so we know to tell the staff our opinions on them and such?

edit: Could I get a headadmin to explain this?

Edited by kittypuppet

Are said threads public? Like, how do we know who's being suggested so we know to tell the staff our opinions on them and such?

edit: Could I get a headadmin to explain this?

Ex- Head Admin here, hope that works for you.

As crock said:

No those threads are not public for drama limiting reasons, and a head will respond to you shortly.

This is the reason they are not made public. Many times, there are 20-30 names that are brought up via nerd.nu/applyformod and other sources. Once a name is brought up, any staff that knows the player can give their opinion on them. The reason there is so long between rounds of new mods is that it gives staff a chance to keep an eye on some of the nominated players. Some staff will go up and actually speak with them, while some just observe them from a distance. I know many times I would just watch from a distance, because some people act different if you're directly interacting with them than if they are just chatting with their friends. You can see the way they answer questions in chat, and their general attitude towards things. Some issues with players are not even well known among all staff, so someone may post some chat logs of an incident or something. Staff is not in the business of making every fault a player has done public. It is discussed enough for each staff member to make an informed decision.

Ninja Edit: Figured I'd throw this in too. When the "final list" is made public in the staff voting thread, it isn't too late for someone to be removed. If you ever see a player on the vote thread that you have an issue or concern with, feel free to PM any of the Head Admins. Most of them don't bite, just Cyotie.

Edited by Denevien
  • Upvote 4