How is xray detected?

Darkelmo

Do moderators just fly around spying on random people while they mine? do they have a program that informs when diamond to stone ratio has gone funky? Do they check eachother? Do they only do it to those who beat them? Do they just wait for a player to act suspiciously?

My concerns are that either they aren't checking that many people or if they are spying on me all the time lol.

Like, how does it work guys? And how do you stop yourselves from learning where bases are?

Question for mods not 4 xrayers, i do not wish to hear moderator slander

Just interested :)

No, I meant what is it that leads them to investigate if someone is xraying, I am quite familiar with xray ban appeals, they are quite amusing.

I just want to know when they know something is up, i know how they find evidence of it. Like, how are they alerted to decide upon inspecting someones mines.

You're a few steps ahead of my question, but thx for commenting anyways!

totemo. He's always watching.

But seriously, staff are able to check the ratio of diamond to stone mined, if it's looking suspicious, they'll check it out. They're then able to check the tracks of where people have mined. They can see if people have been mining straight to ores, or if there's anything strange about the way they're mining which could suggest that they're using xray. They won't look at coordinates whilst doing this, and definitely never make note of them.

Edited by TornadoHorse
  • Upvote 3

Alright, for a third time, I'm pretty sure the mods don't just randomly browse everyones diamond edits every morning, I was wondering what causes them to look at this information in the first place.

Here's an example. Police bust these people for pot plantation

evidence: Sketchy movements in and out of the house, past criminal history, dodgey emails to crime lords.

My concern is, what causes the police to park outside the house and watch them, and when do they decide to browse their emails unless thay got a tip from someone who had tipped them off?

Do we get what I'm asking...

I read ban appeals, I read more of them than some banning moderators do. I've seen hundreds of screenshots of xrayers.

What makes them check those things?

Alright, for a third time, I'm pretty sure the mods don't just randomly browse everyones diamond edits every morning, I was wondering what causes them to look at this information in the first place.

Actually this is exactly what we do. We can run a command that will return everyone who has mined a diamond in the last 24 hours and the total amount of diamonds they have mined in thr last 24 hours. It will take me approximately 2 minutes to look it over. We do not single anyone out and check their edits anymore than anyone elses and yes, We will always look through a moderators edits just the same as any other user if their edits look suspicious. No one is above the rules on the servers.

To be clear. We do not target any players. We have commands that return suspicious activity and then we start the investigation process from there. We do not ban without proof and we do not ban on a suspicion.

• Upvote 4

Well, not to seem unconvinced, but we get thousands of people on the servers (I think, unless it's just massive in my mind)

And I've seen that the plugin to check edits is done on an individual basis

there is the stone to diamond ratio plugin (But i'm pretty sure this requires you to type in specific names, meaning alot of typing) and the other one i know is the destroyed/placed block log. They are both individualized (Or maybe you just edit them to show the one ur referencing) so I don't see how you can pick the needle out of the hay stack straw by straw.

To place it in a metaphor (I'm bad with words sometimes) are there ways for you to check allot of straws at once?

Forgive my poor communication skills, but i'm really interested as to how you would find the time to do this.

And I am very aware that you do not ban without proof, especially when xray leaves a tonne of evidence.

thanks for commenting cyotie99

• Upvote 1

Darkelmo,  Feel free to read up on LogBlock and what commands are available for it.  for instance... I can run a command on C that will return all the wool edits.  This took me approximately 10 seconds to type the command, 10 seconds for it to pull the records from the database and another 20 or so seconds for me to post the results here.

Player Created Destroyed

Dumbo52 2130 642

nolanater5711 1211 1034

Ultraimagination 1205 306

CharGB 1055 370

DocQuickDeath 1118 263

stellarjello 1076 83

Diamond_Lover123 667 272

emptyafternoon 601 248

theinada 536 124

Dinostorm 392 142

lehmanster 211 82

N00ble_6 143 139

skiflea 209 58

schererererer 180 54

pspprogramer 184 23

Gerbil_9 159 9

buchanman 85 60

Jakesaur 1 134

HailSaban 95 16

modmode_joshuaherman 52 51

foggy29 0 99

ceegith 44 30

kandoko 42 22

catcake78 31 12

BlackstoneUltd 36 4

OhDamnADog 0 31

KashmirCrafted 13 8

squirrelflight01 8 11

ITSupport_ 0 18

keithkong1 15 2

Trooprm32 0 14

Madman06 6 6

scourge2002 7 2

sweatyballs6982 0 5

OreoToast_QW 4 0

IrishWreckage 2 2

fashionkat99 2 2

Archiuz 2 2

modmode_buchanman 1 1

nickeox 0 2

Bardidley 0 1

• Upvote 2

I can do the same thing on P or S for any block on the server.  I can run the same command and modify it for diamond edits.   There's no way to cheat that system.  If you are going to try to skew your diamond to stone ratio with xray then normally we can tell because we can see a player who finds a ton of diamonds in a short period of time and then mines a ton of stone to try to make up for the ratio. 

By the time a player has to go through all the trouble of trying to not get caught xraying.  It would have taken just as much time to mine diamonds legitimately and you won't have to worry about getting banned either.

• Upvote 1

Anyways.  I'm not going to go into anymore specifics because there are so many different ways to check edits that I could be here all night.  I believe that your original question has been answered.  We don't single anyone out and we have ways to check all the players on the server at once. 

TLDR.  If you xray, you're going to get caught.

So what if I mine 5 diamonds via xray then log off for the rest of the day then repeat.

If the edits above are for a 24 hour time frame and listing by those who have highest diamond breakage counts (This is assuming the placement count being irellevant due to the fact that they are diamonds) then can't I xray in little intervals while being masked by the higher ore counts of legitimate active players throughout that period? After which of course the interval will have been set anew for my diamond count never to accumulate above the natural amount for that time period. Unless you recieve the highest diamond count in relation to stone in one list, then xrayers could simply avoid detection due to their low diamond count even though realative to play time, their diamond count is quite high. For example I could have placed or broken 5 wool today but I would never appear on that list. And assuming the implications of the above counts aren't for greif but rather diamond mining (Where numbers of 1000 are no less banable than an xrayed amount of 45 diamonds) then I as an xrayer would never appear on your list. And you would have no reason to check my individual stone edits to contrast with my diamond edits?

Do I have a valid point?

darkelmo, I didn't say that this is the only way we start off doing xray investigations.  We have other ways also. 

For instance yesterday there were 18 players who mined diamond ore on P.  It takes me literally no time at all to check their stone edits for each of those players for yesterday either.  For any player in that list that has less than a 2% diamond to

However, For what you say.. you mine 5 diamonds today.  It would take you a week just to get 35 diamonds.  I can find more than that legitimately in one evening.  Normally the point of someone xraying is to gather resources using the least effort possible.  That is not the least effort.   Pretty sure that 99% of the people who xray aren't going to do it that way.