Survival Arena League Tournament (S.A.L.T)

Malvagio87

S.A.L.T. Vote  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see S.A.L.T. on s.nerd.nu?

2. 2. Would this make you play on s.nerd.nu more?

3. 3. Do you like the idea of building your own protected arenas?

Even though I probably will at one point do the "Lost Book Event", it is in my opinion a PVE event and S is primarily  PvP Server so i believe players would like to see more events directed towards the PvP elements of the game.

Which got me thinking that we should start a Survival Arena League Tournament (S.A.L.T.)  P has (or at least had when i played on it) Spleef tournaments between cities so why not bring this concept to S.

Since this would be the first "season" of S.A.L.T. I believe that all of the battles should be held in the same admin created arena location, however, with the next revision of the server I believe that the admins should discuss a standard "Playing Field Size" lets say 128x128 for example, and clans could build there own arenas in which to have battles on.  

Each team would play each other twice. One Home game and one Away throughout the week.

Teams would be able to warp to the event on the day and time of the battle so they would not get ambushed on the way to the fight.

Staff would have to setup protections on the arenas to prevent pvp so players could spectate and not break blocks.

Teams/clans would sign up to join S.A.L.T. in different categories for instance 1v1, 2v2, 5v5, etc.  Once the clans signed up an arena schedule would be put together based on the playtime availability of teams.  Over the next few weeks the clans would battle in the different categories and at the end there would be a tournament to see who the winner would be in each respective category.  

Losers of each fight would not be given there items back, the winners would get to keep them.

The season would consist of X*2) of games and rankings would be determined by the win/loss records of each team.

For instance if there was 8 teams in the 1v1 category there would be 8 seeds.  At the end of the league:

Seed 1 would play Seed 8
Seed 2 would play seed 7
Seed 3 would play seed 6
Seed 4 would play seed 5
Winner would move on to the next round until only one remained victorious.

Prizes would be handed out by the admin to the winners.

This would take a great deal of organization on the staffs part but i believe that it would lead to more gameplay and definitely more pvp vs what we currently do plus i also think it would just be a really fun idea to let players build there own arenas and have worry free battles in them since currently if this was done without staff report teams would just setup traps and kill each other or ambush other players before the match started.

If you like this idea please vote and comment and if there is stuff you think should be added then comment.  I didnt put too much thought into this, just thought of the generic concept.
Edited by Malvagio87
  • Upvote 3

Well, we already have SAL (lack of scheduled tournaments so far notwithstanding)—which has fancy prizes as a large attraction. Though I don't see why you couldn't start a completely player-run league using a public arena. That's how FISA works on PvE. There isn't any official staff involvement in the matches or organization of the spleef tournaments, and any awards are entirely fronted by donations or entry fees in the case of the recent Spleef Club event. (One interesting thing to try would be a clan vs. clan league.)

I would recommend using a name other than SALT though, to prevent confusion with SAL.

• Upvote 3

They wouldn't be protected though, as I have never seen anything protected on S except, spawn, the main arena run by admins, the public arena, clan hall, and anything else not built by players. Everything player made remains unprotected

I believe this is a follow-on from the meeting where we discussed letting public builds that fit a strict set of rules be protected.

FYI coolgamer, certain player builds have been protected before. Willravel's note block building (which played a tune in ~rev 12) and my automatic melon farm (~rev 13) were both protected. There may have been others

As Four_Down says, most people who attended the survival meeting thought that protections for "public" buildings (which arenas would fit under) would be fine.

This /could/ be player-run, but it would be nice for an admin to handle applications, schedule the fights, and give out extra prizes. Survival initiatives need just a little push from the admins and the players/clans will happily follow.

Voted no on the first question because we already have the Survival Arena League (SAL).

I was unaware that this existed since i have never heard of it mentioned since the opening of this rev.

Well, we already have SAL (lack of scheduled tournaments so far notwithstanding)—which has fancy prizes as a large attraction. Though I don't see why you couldn't start a completely player-run league using a public arena. That's how FISA works on PvE. There isn't any official staff involvement in the matches or organization of the spleef tournaments, and any awards are entirely fronted by donations or entry fees in the case of the recent Spleef Club event. (One interesting thing to try would be a clan vs. clan league.)

I would recommend using a name other than SALT though, to prevent confusion with SAL.

The reason it could not be player run is due to people ambushing players coming to PvP and other players interfering while PvP was happening.  If those two things occurred players would not do this in my opinion.

I would agree with redwall, If you wan't this to work you're gonna have to do it fully player run. 

relying on staff is going to cause scheduling issues

Not if you schedule it properly.  There are many staff members that could log in to help with these events other than the SADMINS.

Also, I believe Mrloud has plans to paste in and set up a public arena, which would be protected.

Is there any ETA on that?

FYI coolgamer, certain player builds have been protected before. Willravel's note block building (which played a tune in ~rev 12) and my automatic melon farm (~rev 13) were both protected. There may have been others

As Four_Down says, most people who attended the survival meeting thought that protections for "public" buildings (which arenas would fit under) would be fine.

This /could/ be player-run, but it would be nice for an admin to handle applications, schedule the fights, and give out extra prizes. Survival initiatives need just a little push from the admins and the players/clans will happily follow.

I agree with everything barneygale said.

• Upvote 1

Even though I probably will at one point do the "Lost Book Event", it is in my opinion a PVE event and S is primarily  PvP Server so i believe players would like to see more events directed towards the PvP elements of the game.

Which got me thinking that we should start a Survival Arena League Tournament (S.A.L.T.)  P has (or at least had when i played on it) Spleef tournaments between cities so why not bring this concept to S.

Since this would be the first "season" of S.A.L.T. I believe that all of the battles should be held in the same admin created arena location, however, with the next revision of the server I believe that the admins should discuss a standard "Playing Field Size" lets say 128x128 for example, and clans could build there own arenas in which to have battles on.  

Each team would play each other twice. One Home game and one Away throughout the week.

Teams would be able to warp to the event on the day and time of the battle so they would not get ambushed on the way to the fight.

Staff would have to setup protections on the arenas to prevent pvp so players could spectate and not break blocks.

Teams/clans would sign up to join S.A.L.T. in different categories for instance 1v1, 2v2, 5v5, etc.  Once the clans signed up an arena schedule would be put together based on the playtime availability of teams.  Over the next few weeks the clans would battle in the different categories and at the end there would be a tournament to see who the winner would be in each respective category.  

Losers of each fight would not be given there items back, the winners would get to keep them.

The season would consist of X*2) of games and rankings would be determined by the win/loss records of each team.

For instance if there was 8 teams in the 1v1 category there would be 8 seeds.  At the end of the league:

Seed 1 would play Seed 8
Seed 2 would play seed 7
Seed 3 would play seed 6
Seed 4 would play seed 5
Winner would move on to the next round until only one remained victorious.

Prizes would be handed out by the admin to the winners.

This would take a great deal of organization on the staffs part but i believe that it would lead to more gameplay and definitely more pvp vs what we currently do plus i also think it would just be a really fun idea to let players build there own arenas and have worry free battles in them since currently if this was done without staff report teams would just setup traps and kill each other or ambush other players before the match started.

If you like this idea please vote and comment and if there is stuff you think should be added then comment.  I didnt put too much thought into this, just thought of the generic concept.

I like this player run arena better than the staff run SAL. Allows much more freedom in scheduling, glad someone came up with a viable plan for one to happen. 

• Upvote 1