A possible solution to the SafeBuckets problem?

Elephant Parade

Sorry, I was unaware this was a P discussion. Removal of individual server groups in the forums was a brilliant idea whoever did that!

As far as P goes, I still believe the outcome from the thread about this problem on S is also the best solution. I actually believe adoption and incidents of griefing would be less on P, and a lot more manageable than Survival, if anything this plugin should be on P without a doubt.

As far as I was aware, this was just general Safebuckets discussion.

Did you not read the big long winded thread that just recently happened?

The admin said that they were actively looking at alternative solutions, so I figured I might as well post this.

I'm against the idea of "trusted users" as it brings in a rank system, which is something we try to avoid here.

On an unrelated note, I accidentally downvoted this post. Oops. I would remove the downvote, but you can't. I decided to mention this to prevent anybody in the future claiming that I downvoted this post because the poster disliked my idea. Edited by Elephant Parade

The idea that staff has powers that other players don't is risky enough, and I think only survives by basic necessity.  It's hard enough to keep staff positions from becoming, or seeming to become, ranks.

I personally don't think of staff as a rank. Outside of handling modreqs/bans/etc, they play just like we do and follow the same rules. No one here I know considers staff more powerful or having a higher rank or something like that. In my eyes they're just like you and me, although some slight permission boost has been given to them to keep the server in order.

• Upvote 3

As far as I was aware, this was just general Safebuckets discussion.

The admin said that they were actively looking at alternative solutions, so I figured I might as well post this.

On an unrelated note, I accidentally downvoted this post. Oops. I would remove the downvote, but you can't. I decided to mention this to prevent anybody in the future claiming that I downvoted this post because the poster disliked my idea.

‘This might not be true. We don't want to say we will be removing safe buckets from S until we have tested the alternative solutions. Only after we have done that can we say that we will be removing safe buckets from S. As of right now, we can only say that we are actively looking at alternative solutions.’ -mrloud15

https://nerd.nu/forum/index.php?/topic/1503-the-future-of-safebuckets-on-s/?p=11270

I personally don't think of staff as a rank. Outside of handling modreqs/bans/etc, they play just like we do and follow the same rules. No one here I know considers staff more powerful or having a higher rank or something like that. In my eyes they're just like you and me, although some slight permission boost has been given to them to keep the server in order.

Being able to place your own water at will is a great perk...

just sayin'

-gsand

;D

Edited by gsand
  • Upvote 1

I posted a question on the subreddit about region owners having the ability to flow water in the region. I understand there is the chance that the water could flow out of the region and cause grief but that is still greif and shouldnt come up to often. Heres a link to the post: http://redd.it/1ud8e1

Totemo even said he would work on it but then he retired for the beach and didnt finish it.

Being able to place your own water at will is a great perk...

just sayin'

-gsand

;D

To be fair, whenever staff goes into mod mode to flow their own water, they make sure that any other flow requests are completed first(that's assuming that there are any unfulfilled flow requests)

Frequently whenever I flow water I take care of the other various modreqs while I am at it. Which at times has meant that i spent 20-30 minutes before I flowed my own water. So yes, I can flow my own water, but overall I lose a lot more playing time than I gain.

some perk

just sayin'

;P

• Upvote 1

After a read of this, I'm very strongly against ranks. 

As scher posted on page 1, having a tag next to your name is how you are defined. Your playtime, kill count, overall reputation is immediately decided by a tag on your name. That essentially destroys nerd.nu's community policy on reputation. 

Yea, ranks aren't the way to go here.
But I did like what was mentioned about adding sourceblock spawn permissions, just not attaching a visible-in-any-way-at-all rank to it. Players could make an application to be able to flow water; the first requirement would be a specific amount of play time, but in addition, staff would have to approve the application, based on how much the player interacts with others, contributes, ect.
If a person doesn't get approved, it just means that they'd have to make modreqs as usual.

Of course, the grief tracking plug could be changed to something like CoreProtect, which can keep track of water/lava flow based on the player who placed the source (in most cases). Not until a rev transfer though.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow