I am luke_gardner, AMA?

luke_gardner

You suddenly dropped off the HA team, why?

I understand if you don't want to answer :)

It wasn't really sudden, they knew I'd wanted to go for a while.

I owe the community a longer response but it boils down to this: I am not particularly interested in Minecraft and this community deserves someone who loves this game, has time to commit to it and still has energy left over to deal with drama and disputes in a healthy way. I am not that person, so I recused myself.

The real trigger was getting a dog...I realized I needed to be free to take care of him, and it spiraled into thinking I needed to handle a lot of other issues. I just got into college (again) and work 8 hours a day. I think everyone here wants someone who can devote more time and energy than I can.

Head admins need tact to deal with things that are ultimately total nonsense. It's an incredibly frustrating position. I didn't have the energy to have that sort of tact after work and managing all the moving parts of my life. It was time for me to move on for my own sanity. As Skuld said...the servers seem to be situated over a cursed Indian burial ground, and that's why there's so much drama. ;)

• Upvote 5

Do you actually like the cubs? Or were you just at Wrigley Field?

The Cubs are truly awful, and the people who go to Wrigley really weird me the hell out. I took my stepdad there because he'd never been to Wrigley and I think anyone who loves baseball should check out that little rinky-dink stadium. It is so painfully small and shitty, but you've got to respect it for staying true to its roots for so long. It's really the stadium I picture when I think of baseball...the ivy is so iconic.

The Cubs won that game (they were playing the Mets) 8-2. We left early, because traffic is a total disaster after those games. I used to live about a mile from the stadium and Wrigleyville got old very fast - so many drunken bros, so many cops roaming around, so much nonsense. It's a wild place but not one you want to stay in forever.

• Upvote 1

I know your feel Luke, I used to live near Coors field here and it was about the same.  However on another note I am glad to hear you are not taking one of the "breaks" that most other staff members take when they feel what you feel.  I totally get your being worn out thing though, I feel the same sometimes.  Anyways as for a question I would simply ask what is your favorite past-time, aside from Minecraft of course.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1

I know your feel Luke, I used to live near Coors field here and it was about the same.  However on another note I am glad to hear you are not taking one of the "breaks" that most other staff members take when they feel what you feel.  I totally get your being worn out thing though, I feel the same sometimes.  Anyways as for a question I would simply ask what is your favorite past-time, aside from Minecraft of course.  Thanks!

I've been riding bikes since I could walk, so that. I love bicycling. I ride 12-15 miles a day just going to work, and more if I have time.

Skateboarding is a close second. I've been injured (back) for a year or so, making high-impact activities less appealing than before as they hurt a lot.

I'm an outdoorsy sort of person.

• Upvote 2

Where did you hear about mc?

Servers?

When did you join mc?

Servers?

Do you have any pets?

Do you love or like animals?

Do you like sports? Play any?

What's your dream job?

Favourite server other than P?

Biggest mistake you've ever made as a mod?

Ever had a row with an admin? (No names please)

What's the furthest distance you've ever gone on you bike in one trip?

What's been your favourite route on your bike?

Is there a particular ride that you wish to do at some point?

(I love biking too, so I'd be interested to hear anything you have to say about it!)

Edited by TornadoHorse
  • Upvote 1

What was your biggest mistake as a member of staff?

I'd have to say: a really poorly planned treasure hunt at the beginning of a revision, where some guys I played with coincidentally got good loot and some guys I didn't play with got comparably crappy loot. There was no foul play but it looked SO bad. I still regret it.

It was a huge mistake. Beginning-of-revision giveaways are bad juju for S. It really pissed off some people and they were 100% rightfully upset. I got read the riot act by some other admins and deserved it. You live and learn, though.

A close second was removing enchantments on S, though that had far more interesting fallout.

Where did you hear about mc?

Servers?

When did you join mc?

Servers?

Do you have any pets?

Do you love or like animals?

Do you like sports? Play any?

What's your dream job?

Favourite server other than P?

Biggest mistake you've ever made as a mod?

Ever had a row with an admin? (No names please)

I heard about Minecraft through reddit sometime in 2010. I got my start on a small server that used Cuboid (old-school WorldEdit) and had no rules whatsoever. It was an insane server and an absolute blast. I was into just sculpting cool things to look at and devastating the landscape. Skuld went back and looked through the logs for nerd.nu once and I was on the server on first day that he had logs from. I am fairly sure I first played on nerd.nu around October 2010. I remember the first revision of S, but I only played for half an hour or so because I found it too intense (oh, irony). I played a lot of Minecraft Classic.

My dog Tank is in the album I posted in my first post.

I'm a dog groomer by trade, so yes, I definitely love animals. I have a pet bird as well.

Cycling, skateboarding and baseball are fun sports to play.

My dream job is to be a dentist and have my own practice.

P isn't my favorite server (sorry guys!) - I was always a fan of S. My favorite non-nerd server was 2b2t, but it's not always up.

I've had a pretty good track record as far as mistakes go. Definitely have made a few mistakes, a few of them pretty bad, but nothing is impossible to fix or resolve! I think I've mismanaged more than one interpersonal situation on the servers. I definitely fucked up a few land claims really well and pissed some people off. I've also deleted chests and had to deal with the ensuing fallout. Rolling back the wrong player by using tab complete is painfully terrible, and I've done that a handful of times. But mostly my fuckups came from dealing with people, not putting the wrong command in.

I've probably pissed off every admin at some point. I'm opinionated, brash, drastic and can be lazy. That makes for some tensions.

• Upvote 2

What were the biggest screwups you have ever done on the servers ?

My biggest fuck-ups revolve around how I handled some situations with people, probably alienating them and hurting the server community. That is part of being an admin - you cannot please all of the people all of the time and you would be a fool to try. So that sucks, but I'm sure that I made a lot of good calls as well.

In terms of sheer server-breaking nonsense I accidentally set 2.5 million blocks to zombie spawners on S, covering roughly one entire quadrant of the map. I quickly typed //undo once I realized what I did, lagged out, logged back on in fear that I'd totally corrupted the map but somehow EVERYTHING WAS FINE. But for about 45 seconds there were 2.5 million zombie spawners on S. Yikes. That still pales in comparison to some of the other admins' awesome WorldEdit fuckups that have happened during my time.

What's the furthest distance you've ever gone on you bike in one trip?

What's been your favourite route on your bike?

Is there a particular ride that you wish to do at some point?

(I love biking too, so I'd be interested to hear anything you have to say about it!)

I rode about 75 miles in a day recently. It took a long time and I was exhausted, sunburned and very dazed afterward. I didn't eat enough and it made the ride suck a lot more than it should have. I also did it on a single-speed, but Chicago is flat as heck so I don't think that made much of a difference.

I like the Lake Shore Trail, but the North Branch Trail in Skokie makes LST look like a piece of shit. It's incredible. 30 miles of winding hills nestled in the woods with huge ponds, streams and lagoons dotting the landscape. It's amazing that it's only 10 miles from Chicago, too. I commute on Milwaukee Avenue and Damen Avenue, both very busy streets with bike lanes that see lots of car and cycling traffic. I've logged about 2,000 miles on my bike since October.

I want to ride across America and Canada on a recumbent bike sometime in the next 5 years. I really, really want to ride Manteo to Murphy (a route in North Carolina that covers the longest road in the state, about 620 miles) on a road bike to see how fast I can do it...I might even do that this year. I'm really interested in touring and not particularly interested in racing, but all types of cycling appeal to me.

I just bought aerobars and mounted them on my bike today. I went from 18mph averages to 22mph averages just because of the aerodynamic position those bars let you get. It's a little funky to get used to leaning over so far and steering with your elbows, but it's comfortable and fast which is hard to beat. I also just bought some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires to replace my old Gatorskins. Touring tires are a little slower but the confidence and comfort of knowing your tires won't go flat unless God himself intervenes is worth having to put a little more effort in.

I need a lighter bike with gears soon. I'm going to save up for a while to get something that I really want. "Buy something nice or buy something twice."

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If your parents were playing Super Smash Brothers, who do you think would win, and why?

My Dad would easily win. He has years of Pong and Asteroids under his belt and putting my Mom in front of any new controller she is unfamiliar with is a truly comical display of ineptitude.

Would you ever consider becoming a professional landscaping architect?

I have a small urban garden. I mostly grow peppers so that I can pickle them and then put them on foods inappropriate for pickled peppers - though one could contend there are no foods which don't belong with pickled peppers and I would certainly agree with that person while still fully aware that it's a ridiculous position. I would love to be a gardener, but mostly as a hobby and not as a profession. Once you start putting coercion into the equation, hobbies lose their fun.