[Survival] On the subject of planning...

Jauris

Why do we always announce the new revision launch date, and then delay it?

I obviously understand that real life happens, but it seems silly that we continue to do this sort of thing every rev. What is so wrong with waiting to announce the next revision until the map is actually DONE and ready to go?

• Upvote 5

Looking at recent complaints, you can tell many players want new revs ASAP. So, we try to estimate when it will be ready, so that it can roll out ASAP. Would players really prefer a post saying "Hey, we got everything done, so we are going to make you wait a week knowing it is fully ready to go now"? You know we have to give an announcement days in advance, so people can finish any projects they started. We are willing to work with people, people just need to decide what they want.

• Upvote 2

I do like the announcements of when I revision will start. If it wasnt announced, players would constantly ask anyway, causing another headache for staff.

It is unfortunate that Nerd has a history of delaying start dates, however, it is hard for anyone to anticipate problems that may come up. Rather than not announcing, it might be a good idea to announce a date that gives the staff a buffer zone to iron out any problems. It seems like the staff always have a general idea of when the revisions will start, so adding a day or two after that could help avoid this issue in the future.

• Upvote 2

The delayed start is entirely our fault and I'm really sorry for this. When the announcement was made we were totally unprepared and this was wrong. 

"Hey, we got everything done, so we are going to make you wait a week knowing it is fully ready to go now"?

There is absolutely no need for this, it's just down to us to be prepared and actually get most of the work done before the announcement is made to restart. We had plenty of time to build the map but we did very little. RL problems are an issue but we had numerous staff members that could have been working on the build so really that was no reason to delay us, in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

I agree, work on the new revision shouldn't have to wait until after an announcement.  It would make more sense to get most of the work of done, then announce the revision, and allocate a couple days to bug testing.  Then if building takes longer than you estimate, you've got a little wiggle room.

• Upvote 2

I think that a set announcement from a staff member using the text like this would be handy. Perhaps a staff member - every 20~ mins or so - could announce how much time is left until the new revision. Should clear up a lot of the "how long 'til the rev?" questions. 

Edited by EeHee2000

Yep, I agree

The time isn't the problem, the thing that people have the problem with is that an announcement was made before the revision was anywhere near ready for launch, which lead to the map not being complete for the deadline.

What we are asking for is that in the future, the Admins wait until everything is finished, or at least very close to being finished before announcing it.

The time isn't the problem, the thing that people have the problem with is that an announcement was made before the revision was anywhere near ready for launch, which lead to the map not being complete for the deadline.

What we are asking for is that in the future, the Admins wait until everything is finished, or at least very close to being finished before announcing it.

I must have misunderstood that. I didn't think they would actually say "oh, it will be done tommorow, so let's make a subreddit post saying that" while their still building. I thought it was an issue with not having all the admins avalible to launch or similar. Edited by coolgamerovr90