[PMC] 5 Year Anniversary

WayneByNumbers

According to our wiki page, the servers first started operation on June 10, 2009 (I found a possible reference to an earlier date, but it doesn't look all that reliable).

June 10th is only about 6 weeks away, I think we should put some kind of major event together.  I don't think there's another public server in the world that has ever celebrated a 5 year anniversary.

What would it be?  CTF?  That space thing?  Building contest?  Admin hunt?  Twitch broadcast?  Youtube video?  Fundraiser?  Something new?  Any combination of the above? 

• Upvote 2

According to our wiki page, the servers first started operation on June 10, 2009 (I found a possible reference to an earlier date, but it doesn't look all that reliable).

This post by Nat announcing it was made at 2009-06-10T17:41:30-07:00.

And that wiki article is a joke about a build consisting of a single dirt block taking two years to make. Classic came out in May 2009.

• Upvote 1

Well that is pretty good news. I thought I could get the space event done by Mid June/Maybe July, and this fits perfectly, but shortens the time I need to set up. A twitch broadcast could be done as well, along with a fundraiser. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is probably a big let down for all of you reading. I saw my grades dropping (fast) when I was trying to get the event to be created on time, so I've been neglecting the project for quite a while. It's finally to the point where I realized that June 10 is only weeks away, and the map is about 60% done. It is possible I can make it in time (I'm free June 7-12). Either we can delay the time to make sure this event is great, and still tell people that it's been 5 years, or make an entire new event. Sorry for not being able to invest more time into this event, and hopefully I'm wrong about this.

Ok, this is probably a big let down for all of you reading. I saw my grades dropping (fast) when I was trying to get the event to be created on time, so I've been neglecting the project for quite a while. It's finally to the point where I realized that June 10 is only weeks away, and the map is about 60% done. It is possible I can make it in time (I'm free June 7-12). Either we can delay the time to make sure this event is great, and still tell people that it's been 5 years, or make an entire new event. Sorry for not being able to invest more time into this event, and hopefully I'm wrong about this.

No worries, real life is always more important. Some people have been working on a CTF map. If you got done with yours, then we would have had yours for the anniversary, and the CTF later in the summer. But now we can do CTF for the anniversary, and do yours sometime later in the summer. Get things good with school, then let us know when you get finished.

No worries, real life is always more important. Some people have been working on a CTF map. If you got done with yours, then we would have had yours for the anniversary, and the CTF later in the summer. But now we can do CTF for the anniversary, and do yours sometime later in the summer. Get things good with school, then let us know when you get finished.

I was not aware of this. Any way to get involved in such development?

Something that would be really cool, but probably prohibitively difficult, would be to get "everybody" in one spot for a mass group photo. I mean, try to get all the old people who don't play anymore to come on, at least for a little while to celebrate the anniversary. Bring back all the old mods who left, etc. That would be amazing to see, though I don't know if one server could even handle it. I doubt we could get "everyone", but as many current and former players at once would be really cool.

• Upvote 1

I like the group photo idea and the nerd main page could use a refresher. So I would say planning planning planning would be the key to having so many players and perhaps using some of C's amazing builds for background?

• Upvote 1