New Steam Group

d3north

One of the biggest problem that I have with the idea of improving the "Official" Steam group is that whoever is in charge is only adding current moderators to the list. That's completely ridiculous, why are people who got their mod position from their interactions on Minecraft, a game that doesn't even exist on Steam? Whereas the players like D3 and myself who spend the majority of our time online actively playing games on Steam, are brushed off to the side, we would love to organise and moderate ourselves but because we choose not to play boring ass Minecraft, and we don't moderate on the servers, we're exempt from being Steam mods? That's stupid, since we aren't going to play MC just to become mods.

D3 took it upon himself to make a steam group and add active players to it, as well as making events for different games, and suddenly he's undermining staff because we wants to see the community expand and succeed? You guys really need to stop taking every action that someone takes as a personal attack. All we're trying to do is what little we can to do to improve things, and instead we get this shit, the old Steam group sucks, the only reason anything even happened with it was because we raised hell on the forums asking that something be done with it, and while some stuff did happen for a while, like everything else related to nerd, it's only temporary and dies out quick. Because no one ever actually dedicates themselves to keeping it going.

If you really don't want to move everyone to a new group then change your stupid policy to allow players like D3 and myself to moderate strictly on Steam. Although I am personally against keeping the old Steam group because it's counterproductive to have changed our 'brand' and yet still keep something with the old name. Who cares if we lose all the old players that are on there? They don't even play let alone interact with us here. Focus on the newer people that have yet to join, and forget about those that pretty much left us to rot.

Seriously, we're just trying to help, and you make it very difficult to do so when you treat us like children.

EDIT: lel I just saw that slide made the new group, but my post still holds relevancy, regular players like myself can't moderate, simply because we aren't Minecraft server mods, which is silly.

Edited by Magnyus
  • Upvote 7

Maybe appointments specifically for the Steam group could be made in the same way that we have moderators and server-specific admins. It is kind of unrealistic to expect people who aren't exactly part of the Steam community to do regular update posts, host events, ect. We don't even nessecarily need servers for the games, just active organization.
If we really are venturing out into other games with this name change, then Steam will almost inevitably be a major part of that. If anything, I'm glad to see that people are excited enough about it to jump so far ahead. That said, there should of course be cooperation with the staff. Of course...that was the plan from the start, so nothing to say there.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow
  • Upvote 3

Yea, I was around during a few TTT events. Don't really have time for both that and MC, sadly. I wouldn't be one to appoint for this lol, though I'd be willing to give guidance when needed, of course.
I just mean that now is a good chance to change things. We've got the name change going through currently. If the players and staff manage to cooperate, and 2-3 people who can afford to be as active as you in this subject are appointed as Steam-specific staff, preferably less active in Minecraft and more in Steam games, we could make some progress.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow
  • Upvote 2

I think that it would be a good idea to have some people that are essentially steam community managers.  Plan some pickup games, maybe some tournaments, etc.  This is just my opinions, but I don't think that there would be any complaints from the heads, or other staff.  We could arrange resources for planning things like tournaments, etc as needed.

I really do wanna work together with the community on all of this, but I would like to see the group run by staff, trying to ensure the same rules are followed, etc.

• Upvote 3

I really do wanna work together with the community on all of this, but I would like to see the group run by staff, trying to ensure the same rules are followed, etc.

I am not disagreeing with you here as I also think the group should be ran/managed by staff members. There seems to be some revolt though against non staff members running the group/managing the group. I don't think this is the right attitude to have. d3north put good effort into making the group and getting things set up and is showing he wants to get the ball rolling. Why are we trying to crush this? If we intend to go into other games and possibly other servers we are going to have to most likely appoint people that are not currently on staff to manage some things. Whether this be the steam group, a tf2 server admin, or something else, we need to branch out. We can't have a closed mind and only want to appoint people currently on staff.

We need this cleared up though as we can't have two groups called "Nerd.nu Gaming" as it'll only cause confusion.

• Upvote 2

I would be fine bringing on other people to help manage the steam group.  My issue is the fact that there was no (as far as I am aware) co-ordination with nerd.nu on d3north creating this group before just deciding to do it.

I've already said, getting the ball rolling should have been a "hey, what is the plan for the steam group? Mind if I get started on it if none of you are able to"

I can't disagree that he should have attempted to contact someone among the staff, particularly you since you've shown interest in the Steam expansion in the past, though I don't personally know if he tried to contact another member or not.
Switch is right though, the issue now is the existance of doubled up groups. One does need to shut down. D3, perhaps you could remove yours for now (or at least make it private if you don't want to delete it), and then the discussion could continue on how to continue with the new group which is listed as official?

Should pyr0's suggestion above be acted upon (remove d3's Steam group) it would be a fair fallback to then add d3north to the 'official' Steam group as a Moderator, or perhaps another level of staff within that Steam group. 
Not to sound aggressive or anything, but claiming you're willing to have players that aren't staff moderate the Steam group is completely pointless if you won't give the slightest level of authority to the player that actually kicked this entire Steam thing off. 

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 2

the whole steam thing was kicked off in 2011.  I would be happy to consider it, but it would be something that we would have to sit down and discuss.  I don't know d3north all that well, so I can't just say "sure, no problem let's do that".  And I think that it would be more than just one person, would need to be a couple people otherwise people will get burnt out and things will fall to the wayward side again.

• Upvote 1

That actually sounds like a decent compromise. Ranks in Steam groups are rather configurable; to have the ability to do what we've been talking about, all a person would really need is the ability to schedule events. The ability to make regular posts and kick from the group/chatroom would be helpful as well, of course. Bans are something that I could see Nerd.nu management being nervous about handing to 'community' staff, so maybe we could leave that ability to people who're already staff on the server and trusted to use it sparingly, for the time being. There is a secondary rank that could be made use of.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow
  • Upvote 1

The main thing I see is that my group is more developed (has more people, a full curator page recommending common games we play, etc) while the other group was made this morning.

With my willingness to add staff to the group why has there been such a push to delete it? I realize that I should have asked but asking usually ends up with poorer results, and having organic growth with spirited contributions seems to me much better.

Also quick note, I've been recently informed of my twatworthiness from some, and thus ask them if I hated this community as much as you say I do, why would I be willing to do all this?

Edited by d3north
  • Upvote 3

That's a signature, rather than a part of his post. Read carefully :P

no i know about eehee's signature, i was talking about other users who message me calling me toxic and "an endless source of drama" due to my "lowlife nature" and my "rampant desire for seemed importance"

• Upvote 2

Just wanted to pop in and say, while not saying one group of people is more competent than the other, that immediately after creating his group d3 sent out group invitations to all past members who had used steam in the past month/so. I've yet to see anything from the new group created by slide. Had I not looked through these messages, I wouldn't even be aware that a new "official" group existed in the first place.

• Upvote 4

no i know about eehee's signature, i was talking about other users who message me calling me toxic and "an endless source of drama" due to my "lowlife nature" and my "rampant desire for seemed importance"

Well if they're are in IRC most of the time and only see that side of you, yes you are quite the drama llama. Log from yesterday.

• Upvote 1

No, d3north is doing something I'd like to call "quality assurance". He isn't about to hand over the new group to the admins if he has a reason to believe it'll flop like the other official group - which, to clarify; it did.

(You can argue with me about that, if you want, I'm happy to discuss it.)

If the quality assurance is judged by him it is hostage. This is why escrow exists.

it is hostage.

It isn't hostage if it never was yours to begin with! I made the group two weeks ago and anyone could have seen it made, or searched it, or even taken the smallest amount of effort to find it. I publicize the group after the name change and suddenly everyone is mad that I didn't ask permission and I'm holding the group hostage and oh why do trolls do such things etc etc. A new group was made at 5 in the morning, the day AFTER I've said my group is available for takeover after I set it up to full use of available tools.

The only way to get shit done in here is to do it and take heat for it, or by making such a nuisance that action is done. This shouldn't be how it is.

• Upvote 6

If the quality assurance is judged by him it is hostage. This is why escrow exists.

Ah, so because you dislike/disagree with a person, their way of doing things in relation to a topic that you've done very little to contribute to is instantly incorrect/devoid of relevance regardless of whether you've seen any end result? Truly, you have enlightened me with the error of d3north's ways. 

Feel free to stop adding in little shitcakes of drama and whatnot, all you've done in this thread is jab a bit at people that you disagree with. Perhaps focusing on the topic at hand in an attempt to get something going would be a smart move, no? 

• Upvote 1