Protections on Survival. Shut up and read it first >.<

c45y

As earlier mentioned in irc...

How do people feel about protections that auto roll back others edits (and don't drop items) after a certain time period?

It was how I always wanted it to be, clearly things like signs and blocks that have objects on them need to not break, but other than that break in and kill, and not really have to worry

And it also solves a big griefing problem by allowing protections on S without 'protecting' bases

In an ideal world the protections would allow you to break your way into a base, however you want, and know it will be safely rolled back in... 3 minutes? 10 minutes? etc

There has been a lot of talk about grief baiting, and what should be modreqed and what should be ignored etc etc - We have been looking at the discussion, the rule itself is wrong in the first place and will never work for a large public server.

Anyway thoughts and suggestions, plugin people who have risked their lives modding logblock would be nice to hear from too

gogogo

I like it. Seems like a decent solution to a tough problem.

I'm just trying to think of ways this could backfire/be abused. Tbh, the only thing I can really think of is totally fucking up someones base in order to piss them off, knowing full well that it will roll back. Though, that would probably fall under harassment. Looks good to me!

Like the idea.

Initial thoughts: forget LogBlock - just cancel the event before it gets there, find out if WorldGuard has an extension mechanism and let WorldGuard do the region checking because it's good at that.  Keep a time-ordered queue of the edits and undo them one at a time (think snake) as they reach a certain age rather than as a batch.  Allow any block to be broken and keep track of attached blocks.

And following the IRC discussion, I think it would be easy enough to fire off a warning to a player every X number of edits that they're editing a region that will be automatically restored.  For most types of blocks, they'll notice that nothing is dropping anyway.

If nobody else wants to, I'm willing to take this on after the CTF event.

While I doubt I'm active enough to spearhead the project I'm always happy to help. Some of the threaded queue stuff I've done before with bukkit plugins, ConcurrentLinkedQueue does all the heavy lifting for you, just a case of polling it every so often for blocks to roll back.

If you want to get a github repo going I'm sure there will be a few people interested in helping out