PvP Protection

TornadoHorse

Currently on Survival, there are two types of PvP protection:

- The 15 second PvP protection you get after respawning.

- The 1 hour long PvP protection you receive on your first join of the server.

The 15 second timer runs out before you are able to leave spawn (unless you're sonic, of course) which renders it pointless, doesn't it? But as there is no real problem with this, I don't see there being any harm in leaving it enabled. Spawn camping hasn't been an issue (not that I've seen) so far this map, so hopefully we've made some good progress there.

The hour long protection timer is the only one that I really have a problem with. I think it's about 4-5 times that I have come across a fully armoured player who is wanting to PvP, but they've had their hour long protection still enabled. Obviously this is not a problem for them, as they can disable it whenever they please, but for those wanting to attack that player, it provides a problem. The player with protection is able to disable it when they want to, giving them the advantage of getting the first few hits in a fight; which can be crucial in many PvP encounters.

As well as this, it is possible (if a player wants to go through that much hassle) to get onto a secondary account, take a PvP kit from their primary account and then use the hour long protection to their advantage as explained above.

There is quite a simple solution to this in my eyes, and I would assume it would be quite simple from a tech side too. If the hour long protection timer is deactivated when you equip armour (not sure whether just one piece or a full suit) but this would avoid players getting frustrated about not being able to attack fully kitted out protected players. There are some disadvantages with this, however. You can probably expect there to be a few people who set up dispensers around spawn with armour in them to trick new players into deactivating their timer.

There are both pros and cons for this idea, but hopefully we can get some sort of discussion going to see if we can find a solution. Thanks :)

Edited by TornadoHorse
  • Upvote 3

Maybe don't allow armour to be equipped when PvP protection is on, and instead send a chat message saying "run /blahcommand to disable pvp protection before you can armour up"?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Though of course this issue it the purview of the sadmins so it would be good to hear what they think. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Former Staff

You have raised a good point Tornadohorse, having an hour long pvp protection while being able to choose to disable this at will during the hour is an unfair pvp advantage, especially if the person is an alt or has a friend who can provide good armour.

Edk's solution sounds good, I thought about adding a further suggestion about including weapons to be banned until the hour has passed but there would be two negative points to this, it means people could still get a pvp advantage from getting the first few hits in addition to not being able to defend effectively from mobs.

Maybe don't allow armour to be equipped when PvP protection is on, and instead send a chat message saying "run /blahcommand to disable pvp protection before you can armour up"?

This wouldn't prevent a player from holding armour in their inventory, locking players out of their bases, or activating traps. In my opinion, the pvp timer should block the new player from interacting with anything until disabled. The timer should only be used to allow the new player to reach their desired build location.

• Upvote 3

Unce people probably need to use someone's farm before they start looking for a spot to build, and might naturally collect other resources like logs.

I imagine that people with the one hour timer are rare, and newbs. It sounds like a minor handicap to you, but one that is worthwhile for the growth of the server. The more of that hour they enjoy (and being alive/still heading away from spawn is often a part of that) the likelier they are to stay.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps you could simply set a notification message to be automatically said by [broadcast] when a player disables the timer, and to make it even better perhaps have a 5 second timer until the PvP is on, to allow players to read the message and have a possible chance to not be struck too soon.