Mrloud15

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should Survival do?

• Keep current chaos map until we can do a 1.7 rev
    • Keep chaos until 1.7, but start a new map
    • Have a 1.6 rev
    • No opinion
    • Keep chaos until 1.7, but run an old creative/survival map

As Bukkit is already updated, I feel we should do a 1.7 revision.

Bukkit has some server crippling bugs still that would make us uncomfortable running a 1.7 server at this time.

The bugs are due to the new biomes and server crashes.  These would have to be fixed before I'd be comfortable running a 1.7 server with bukkit.

• Upvote 1

Bukkit has some server crippling bugs still that would make us uncomfortable running a 1.7 server at this time.

The bugs are due to the new biomes and server crashes.  These would have to be fixed before I'd be comfortable running a 1.7 server with bukkit.

We (My Server) have been running the latest Spigot build for about 30 hours now, and have yet to have any crashes or any major bugs. What bugs/crash issues would you be referring to?

Please PM if you're uncomfortable saying in these comments.

Edited by Four_Down
  • Upvote 6

Some reasons for waiting for 1.7:

1. Lots of other 1.7 servers will be coming up within a few days, and many already have. Most people don't want to be playing on an old version when they have options for newer servers.
  2. It's possible to make 1.6 servers accessible from both 1.6 and 1.7 clients, but people still won't get 1.7 world generation (including all the fancy new biomes + nice trees), items, or gameplay changes.
  3. Short revisions only work well with a set end-date, otherwise no-one will build anything for fear of it ending tomorrow.
  4. The plugins could be fixed in less than a week, and then the rev will be really short and frustrating. This is the kind of situation temporary chaos maps are made for!
  5. AFAIK only a couple of plugins are not working, and they'll surely be fixed within the next week or two. I don't think NoCheatPlus is properly up-to-date yet, but if there's enough active mods it's possible to launch without it, or with some checks disabled. We certainly used to get by catching flyhackers and whatnot by hand before NoCheat was a thing. A number of large servers actually run without NCP or run with a very nerfed NCP, because of the lag it causes (often the #1 plugin in /timings).

I picked option 5 in the poll, though I can't play yet.

Edited by barneygale
  • Upvote 4

We've been testing Spigot builds for a while now as well as tracking the major bugs in vanilla and/or Bukkit.  Things are starting to look pretty good.  The crashes generating ice spikes, for instance, some duplication glitches and some major problems caused by async command execution are fixed.

My feeling is that we are pretty close to being able to go to 1.7 with confidence and that it would be a shame not to have a 1.7-generated map.  But please be aware that many staff have sunk considerable time into creating a nice map for 1.6.4 and it will take a few days to rework that for 1.7 (pasting in spawn, smoothing up terrain, fixing regions, roads, portals, secrets).

As to 1.7 client mod support: there's no MCP yet and hence, no Forge.  It's livable for a little while, on the assumption that it's not far off, but honestly it's anybody's guess really.  Someone ask SeargeMP how he's going.

• Upvote 1

Mrg gave me a lot of good reasons as to why I should be okay with a new rev, and they were very convincing but ultimately it comes down to one decisive factor: the mesa. I am just not going to be able to have the same amount of fun without the mesa biome; that, and stained black glass. How do you expect me to play a lesser minecraft now that I've actually had a taste of greatness? I could deal, very easily, but ultimately I will feel like my play experience is not the same without a mesa biome. Do you realize how easy it is to decorate walls in a mesa?!

Ultimately you guys are the server gods, and your word is absolute. I will be fine with a new map, I'm just not going to be having the same amount of fun I was having previously. Downgrading never sounds like a good Idea to me as I'm more of a progressive person, but I understand that I don't make the decisions, you do. I will have fun regardless, but I'd be a little more content with what we have now.

• Upvote 1