Survival Suggestions / Feedback

Mrloud15

I had a question regarding random spawning. Will you spawn randomally once, and then respawn in the same place (the place you spawned randomally the first time), or will it be random every time? Is this going to be something where it is similar to /randloc (where you spawn randomally anywhere), or will you have a number of random spawn points?

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

I've got a question about the pearl plugin.
Didn't we trial it once before and decide to remove it? I'm all for retrying it, but I would like to know how that decision was reached considering we had a vote to remove it. 
I'm also strongly against the XP nerf, because frankly nerfing XP effectively nerfs Enchanting, which everyone uses to PvP. I get that it's possible to enchant armour well otherwise, but all this change is going to do is make the process of acquiring PvP gear longer. Unless we're taking an entirely new, enchant-less angle at PvP, I'm confused. 

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 1

I like the no roads, but I don't like the random spawn as much. Random spawn keeps people further away from each other and further separates people, making it harder to find fights or other people to play with.

Also I made a suggestion on the subreddit that I will copy and paste to here:

Ok so a huge problem on survival is PVP and people having no incentive. They have no incentive because all you get after a good fight is maybe a sword and a set of broken armor, usually missing the helm, since people usually die after their helm breaks. Your armor will also be almost broken if not completely gone. You lose diamonds by going PVPing, even if you win.

You could fix in 2 ways:

Make a plugin or script so that when kill someone (only if it meets standards to decapitate) their armor drops on the ground with the durability that they started the fight with. So if you attack someone and their armor had 300 hits left, and you kill them, you get a set with 300 hits left.

The second option would be to limit enchants and potions in a way that fights last a decent length but armor doesn't break.

Such as having this being the maximum loadout with 1.7 pots enabled Prot 4

Sharp 3

Fire 2

Strength 8 minutes, no strength 2

Regen extended

Speed 2 enabled

Fire resistance extended

Splash Slowness

Splash posion

No splash weakness

Power 5 bows (Makes bows more viable)

With this loadout regen is not required to win the fight, but it helps, and when people get killed their armor is still somewhat intact.

Or do a no enchants on armor or weapons map with regen and strength potions disabled.

Sorry about not answering sooner.

I had a question regarding random spawning. Will you spawn randomally once, and then respawn in the same place (the place you spawned randomally the first time), or will it be random every time? Is this going to be something where it is similar to /randloc (where you spawn randomally anywhere), or will you have a number of random spawn points?

Thank you.

You will randomly spawn every time you die unless you have slept in a bed.

Was plump xp removed to get ready for the enchanting changes in 1.8 ? Dinnerbone recently said 1.8 will be delayed a few more months.

As Rcub said, it was removed to make S a little harder.

EeHee2000 and Gizzletinks, I will reply to your comments tomorrow. 

Random spawn probably makes more sense on a server where griefing is allowed, but it's a nice change and along the right lines.

Would have been nice to see an ore plump to compensate for the weirdness of the new setup.

Would have been nice to make things easier at the start. The combination of no safe spawn, no food and the rev beginning in the middle of the night (wtf?) made it a deathfest for the first a while.

I'd like to see admin-sponsored competitions for building infrastructure. I'd also like to hear back about protection for public-use buildings/infrastructure.

I'd like to hear from the admins regarding what they think is working well, what isn't, and what their plan is from here.

Random spawn probably makes more sense on a server where griefing is allowed, but it's a nice change and along the right lines.

Would have been nice to see an ore plump to compensate for the weirdness of the new setup.

Would have been nice to make things easier at the start. The combination of no safe spawn, no food and the rev beginning in the middle of the night (wtf?) made it a deathfest for the first a while.

I'd like to see admin-sponsored competitions for building infrastructure. I'd also like to hear back about protection for public-use buildings/infrastructure.

I'd like to hear from the admins regarding what they think is working well, what isn't, and what their plan is from here.

We have added a first join area.

How are you thinking these competitions should work? We are discussing protecting player made buildings for public use, and we will let everyone know what we decide when we are done.

I think it's still a little to early in the rev to really see what's working and what's not, so ask me again in a few weeks. :D

Right now we are still deciding what changes should be made next rev. We have a few changes that we're set on, but there's also a few we're not. As we are working on finalizing the list of changes, we will be working on setting up the configs for the plugins we would like to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Could we revisit safebukkits?

The two writers of the original plugin have already said they think it's a bad idea.

Can you imagine a popular livestreamer coming on survival, making an underground farm 30 minutes in, and then discovering water doesn't flow? Lets idle for 90 minutes until a mod logs on!

Lets not give new players a convenient reason to log off and not return.

Could we revisit safebukkits?

The two writers of the original plugin have already said they think it's a bad idea.

Can you imagine a popular livestreamer coming on survival, making an underground farm 30 minutes in, and then discovering water doesn't flow? Lets idle for 90 minutes until a mod logs on!

Lets not give new players a convenient reason to log off and not return.

I'm always up for revisiting anything. However, it might not be very useful to discuss SafeBuckets on Survival because we will not be using it next rev.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

One quick probably derpy question. What is the reasoning behind disabling enderchests? I'm sorry if there has been a huge problem and I've just missed it.

Enderchests ruin any sort of pvp for loot as there is a quick and easy way to transport it across the map, for example before you could put diamonds in an enderchest and then go to the end grinder to enchant, now you would have to transport them across the map and have a reason to fear death.

• Upvote 1

One quick probably derpy question. What is the reasoning behind disabling enderchests? I'm sorry if there has been a huge problem and I've just missed it.

Enderchests ruin any sort of pvp for loot as there is a quick and easy way to transport it across the map, for example before you could put diamonds in an enderchest and then go to the end grinder to enchant, now you would have to transport them across the map and have a reason to fear death.

Oh thanks for the explanation :) that makes sense haha I remember the days of running with a tone of diamonds in your inventory thinking oh shit shit shit shit whenever you saw someone.

No ender chests is a good idea. :)

I have a completely different tangent of an idea here... What if we had forced teams, as in when we log into the rev the first time, we're assigned one of four colors as our team. Then we'd have to fight alongside random strangers on this team and become friends with them to survive. This would serve to strengthen the community. Has this been suggested? I know this may have been suggested, so please bear with me if so. :/

Edited by Hustletron

No ender chests is a good idea. :)

I have a completely different tangent of an idea here... What if we had forced teams, as in when we log into the rev the first time, we're assigned one of four colors as our team. Then we'd have to fight alongside random strangers on this team and become friends with them to survive. This would serve to strengthen the community. Has this been suggested? I know this may have been suggested, so please bear with me if so. :/

I actually suggested an idea like this back in May, depending on your team also determined a few other things such as which ore was plumped and what biomes are for each team. 

On another note, I would like to suggest adding a map like PvE's to survival, where you start of hidden but can make yourself visible. This could help lost players find where they're going, help players find other players to pvp, and help players find larger and cooler builds in game. If everyone starts hidden, then it would be on the players themselves to make them visible. Just a thought, but I always thought having a map could help players out

• Upvote 1

After playing for a little while, I've had some thoughts:

1) Allowing griefing effectively ends any kind of real creative pursuits on the Survival server. Either you have to hide your build (in which case you might as well play single player), or your build is eventually destroyed. I've been on Chaos maps before, and even in healthy, mature communities, someone loves to break what other people created. This is an issue I've seen with past policies going back every revision since I joined (rev 7, I believe): Survival isn't just about PvP. It simply isn't. Going back the 19 revisions I've been a part of, there are incredible builds, showcasing that even in a dangerous environment people want to create something great. People like to bring civilization even in places where it's a significant challenge. I was probably killed a hundred times when I made my first gigantic farm, and that actually added to the value once I finished. Anyone can go on a creative server or a PvE server and make something nice, but to do so on Survival meant something more. Now, though, it's more akin to Chaos, where there's no point in building something nice anymore. 

Allowing PvP doesn't mean the singular function of the server is PvP. 

2) Bounties are a fun novelty, but maybe you should only be allowed to make one at a time. Allowing many provides an opportunity to spam another system. There are currently 42 pages of bounties, and, btw, "/bounty recent page 2" responds "Too Many Arguments!" so I can't see all of the bounties. 

3) In regards to moderators, to paraphrase a quote from Office Space, "What would you say we do here?" Aside from monitoring chat for hate speech, verify clans, and answering basic questions, there's not really much for us to do anymore. As someone in mod chat mentioned, it's our jobs to sit here and look pretty. 

4) I really like the zone-specific ore plumping. Conceptually it's very clever and in practice it incentivizes exploration and mining in different areas, instead of just plopping down in one spot and mining out a cavern or hallways. I settled down in a Tiaga and now I have glowstone without having to go find a Nether portal. I know that after I've had my fill of glow, I can set out for a Forest or Plains zone for iron and then a Mesa for redstone. It's fantastic, and I hope this feature sticks around. 

5) Enchantism, as it turns out, is like a drug. You never knew you wanted it, and you only need to try it once for you to not only get hooked, but for its absence to send you into cold sweats. Part of me wants it back as much as I've ever wanted anything, but I worry that it was so helpful in enchanting that it simply deleted an entire part of gameplay for the sake of making things too easy. This goes for Enterchests, too. They're almost too useful, making the game really easy. 

6) I have no clue why safe buckets were removed. It'd take me maybe 10 minutes to render half the map unusable with lava, and I wouldn't be breaking a single rule because griefing is allowed. Part of me is tempted to do this within a 50 block radius of my base to prevent people from griefing it. 

• Upvote 2

So basically like the CTF event just without the flag? I wouldn't like this, what if someone just wants to play on their own, or people don't enjoy it as their friends are all together on a different team and they are stuck with players they don't get along with? Or what is to stop people from using their alts to get into a different team. There are tones of dangers to this, while in theory it sounds fun for a whole revision? that would bring up problems.

Really loving be able to place my own water, and the protection mechanic is dead interesting.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I agree with Willravel that we might not see huge builds anymore, but this is early days and I'm sure we can come up with something. We could offer protection for public-use builds (as has been suggested before)

Edited by barneygale

It's really rare that I agree with absolutely everything that someone says when they post a list of changes that they want to see made to S, but this is one of those times.  Willravel is 100% correct on every one of his points.

The truth is that the vast majority of the whining about plugins and about the ability to reasonably build anything is EASY to solve with just a couple of declarations that our Admins can make:

#1 - Land claims will be recognized and enforced by staff just like they used to be.

#2 - Moderators will be allowed to do LB rollbacks of major base damage.

EDIT:  #2 - Moderators will be allowed to do LB rollbacks of major AESTHETIC base damage.  This does NOT include blocks broken or placed in PVP efforts like breaking into a base or disabling someone's grinder or trap, etc..

#3 - Using water or lava to grief someone's base is a banable offense.  Safebuckets don't need to return, but people need to feel like their house won't get completely trashed if they build it.

#4 - Intentionally placing reinforced blocks on someone else's claim in an effort to grief or just spamming someone else's claim with regular blocks is a banable offense.

Griefing that is not described by #'s 3 and 4 above can still be allowed.  People can feel free to take out their angst on other people's blocks.  If they are horrible about it then a mod can roll it back based on rule #2.

None of ^these^ recommendations requires any technical effort to implement.  All it would take to implement would be a change to the posted rules.

If we do this then it is reasonable for players to spend time building on S again.  Also, Willravel will feel like he's a moderator again.  If we don't do this or something like it then S will be unrecognizable to me and I will mourn its loss.

Edited by elbeau
  • Upvote 1

It's really rare that I agree with absolutely everything that someone says when they post a list of changes that they want to see made to S, but this is one of those times.  Willravel is 100% correct on every one of his points.

The truth is that the vast majority of the whining about plugins and about the ability to reasonably build anything is EASY to solve with just a couple of declarations that our Admins can make:

#1 - Land claims will be recognized and enforced by staff just like they used to be.

#2 - Moderators will be allowed to do LB rollbacks of major base damage.

EDIT:  #2 - Moderators will be allowed to do LB rollbacks of major AESTHETIC base damage.  This does NOT include blocks broken or placed in PVP efforts like breaking into a base or disabling someone's grinder or trap, etc..

#3 - Using water or lava to grief someone's base is a banable offense.  Safebuckets don't need to return, but people need to feel like their house won't get completely trashed if they build it.

#4 - Intentionally placing reinforced blocks on someone else's claim in an effort to grief or just spamming someone else's claim with regular blocks is a banable offense.

Griefing that is not described by #'s 3 and 4 above can still be allowed.  People can feel free to take out their angst on other people's blocks.  If they are horrible about it then a mod can roll it back based on rule #2.

None of ^these^ recommendations requires any technical effort to implement.  All it would take to implement would be a change to the posted rules.

So what you mean is "Make griefing against the rules."

If we do this then it is reasonable for players to spend time building on S again.  Also, Willravel will feel like he's a moderator again.  If we don't do this or something like it then S will be unrecognizable to me and I will mourn its loss.

Everyone needs to chill out. How you consider the server to be dead despite this change bringing on a large number of players is beyond me. The few people complaining about the server that I've seen are old MCPublic players who weren't keeping up with the changes, so when they logged on to see how the server was doing that were shocked that it had changed so much. So, just to repeat myself and what numerous others have been saying the whole time: THIS IS A TEST REVISION. Survival was shitty with a very low player count, many meetings and discussions found that almost everyone wanted a change. A change was made. Give your feedback, sure, but don't whine about how the server is dead just because you're not having fun.

• Upvote 3