Fundraiser Event Planning Template

Participating in the creation of an event should be fun, rewarding and possibly at times, challenging. Overseeing the creation should be an active leader / active team who are involved with the project by having a clearly detailed list of tasks to ensure the success of the event.

My experience of the 2015 Capture The Flag fundraiser preparation was none of these things. There are a number of reasons why we were not as organised as we could have been, which would have made the planning feel much less stressful and more unified however I don't feel that focusing on those details would get us anywhere productive right now. Instead, I'd like to focus on creating a planning template to ensure that whoever organises the next event and the one after, and the one after (etc) can have a guideline to follow.

Contribute any suggestions you wish to this template, I'm going to aim to create it in such a way that it may be able to work with other gameplay types, not just capture the flag.

=====================================================================================================

Choose an event type such as capture the flag.

Plugins

1. -Establish a list of plugins you need for this event (talk with a tech admin to help decide)
  2. -Implement all required plugins incrementally / together throughout the event preparation.
  3. -Ensure that if any new plugins are needed, that someone is tasked to creating it / them.
  4. Allow time for your plugins to be tested through their interactions with one another.
  5. Set time aside to test the functionality of the plugins from a player's perspective.

Map creation

1. -Consider the size of the map for the event.
  2. -Consider the elevation and smoothness of terrain where you want builds created (it's more time consuming and difficult to build over mountains).
  3. -Consider the terrain bias: Where the map has a team vs team focus, is the terrain fairly distributed?
  4. -Consider the types of biomes included. Custom biomes take more time to implement but offer a more unique experience.

Map Cleanup

1. -Underwater caverns / ravines are typically generated badly with vast air pockets directly below water.
  2. -Ensure that chunks have loaded correctly and are not cut off.
  3. -Check that ores have generated correctly.
  4. -Seek out large groups of animals swimming in open water.
  5. -Consider culling animals on land to make them more valuable.

Plotting Builds

1. -While viewing the map & terrain, consider the builds you wish to include (generally speaking).
  2. -Create a list of core builds. These are essential to your event running. For each build, detail the approximate / exact dimensions, the design theme of the build (e.g. futuristic), any special functions of the builds (such as buff towers requiring a buff trigger) and any other essential requirements for the overall design.
  3. -Based on your approximate / exact dimensions, create a shell where you want your core builds placed onto the map. Consider opening modreqs at their locations to make it easier for builders to implement their work.
  4. -Create a list of non-priority builds. These should be worked on only if all core builds are built / progressing. For each build, detail the approximate / exact dimensions, the design theme of the build (e.g. futuristic), any special functions of the builds (such as buff towers requiring a buff trigger) and any other essential requirements for the overall design.
  5. -Based on your approximate / exact dimensions, create a shell where you want your core builds placed onto the map. Consider opening modreqs at their locations to make it easier for builders to implement their work.

Minigames

Consider whether you want to implement minigames into your world, multiverse world or not at all.

1. -Should you choose a multiverse world for minigames then plot out the layout of the spawn area, alongside the way in which people will access your minigames (e.g. access bridges).
  2. -Choose the number of minigames you would like to have implemented.
  3. -Decide which minigames you want included.
  4. -Mark the locations where you would like the entrances for each of the minigames to be located.
  5. -Establish a design theme for the minigames world.

1. -Should you choose to implement minigames into your world, then choose the number of minigames you want implemented.
  2. -Decide which minigames you want included.
  3. -Mark the locations for where each minigame will be built with an approximate / exact shell of the dimensions.

1. -For each minigame, detail it's purpose (e.g. "connect four - create a wall where people can play connect four"), design theme (e.g. Egyptian)
  2. -Create a list of prizes for each minigame for the builder to implement.

Pre-Planning Over

1. -Ask for help. Create a topic detailing everything listed above that you have done with an accessible checklist for people to use (e.g. a secure google docs page where you can grant access individuals or trello).
  2. -Create a timescale checkpoint where you would like to see all of the core builds completed by (allow for leeway, use as a guideline for progress and not as confirmation for when the entire event will be finished by).
  3. -Ensure that access to those who want to participate is unhindered: People can join the event world to help build, warp to relevant multiverse worlds and use modmode / world edit.
  4. -Allow people to choose their own tasks, ensuring that map cleanup and core builds are the focus.
  5. -Follow up with people, ensuring that they are progressing ok. This can be done in-game, over mumble / IRC / other: Ideally encourage people to post updates of their progress.
  6. -Should anyone not be progressing on a task they have claimed, give them some time to work. Otherwise assign someone else to their build / take it over yourself so that it will be completed.
  7. -Accept that minor details for each build will be determined by the individual builder: Any further instructions conveyed privately need to be shared in an update post.
  8. -Create daily update posts on the planning and preparation (as often as possible but not needed any more frequently than daily).

Completion

1. -Core builds, minigames, map have been completed. Ensure that these are completed through inspection (this is the time to make final changes to the build).
  2. -Once each build has been approved, create a checklist of regions required with worldguard for each build / location. Detailing flag requirements (e.g. build deny).
  3. -Allow people to apply regions.
  4. -Allow people to apply prizes to each minigame.
  5. -Check each region is working, both from the /rg info and ensuring that there are no trap holes in regions which do not allow people to build within.
  6. -Organise staff events where we can test each minigame / region / plugin with a larger pool of people.

Additional Points to Consider

1. Create build contests (either yourself or delegated to a C mod (I am a C mod, shutup) or admin) on C to outsource some of the building and further make C players feel involved/valued in what are normally variations on PVE/PVP events. 
  2. With these template instructions let's try to also create a companion Gant Chart template for the timeline in Google Sheets that is easily updateable to show progress.
  3. Plan extra time into the timeline for inevitable delays.
  4. Create individual polls to ask the community, moderators, admins, and techs respectively what dates out of a range will be attendable by most. (A date where many players but no admins can show up is a poor choice, as is vice versa.) It may also be relevant to ask staff in general if many of them will be around the week before the event to ensure final testing has plenty of hands as well.
  5. For PVP events with a score, ensure that games either terminate (and hopefully restart) after a certain point total or spread, or that losing teams automatically get buffed to prevent runaway score games that result in one team simply giving up (or forming another team). I think we all know boredom and hopelessness breeds trouble, even if it only comes from half the players. In general, we should probably plan for multiple rounds, and just appreciate the happy circumstance of not needing them if the game ends up being perfectly balanced and long lasting. Additionally, perhaps rounds could have a set time, possibly to correspond with active time zones.

Help  I'm stuck

Look for places players can fall into or warp into where they can't get out without mod assistance.

Inventory Managment

What inventory can a player bring into the lobby and can they use it to cheat?

Potions: Will a strength, night vision, speed, jump boost make anything unfair (I actually don't know if we have a debuff easy sign)?

Ender Pearls: Can they use ender pearls to warp to places you don't want or even skip over everything entirely?

Item Drops: Can a player drop their kit on the ground get a reward and pick up their kit again after their inventory has been "cleared" essentially netting them a free kit?

Build Complete?

Is the build complete not just functional?

Command Abuse

Can they use a command to steal items that may give them an advantage?

============================================================================================================

I don't believe that this is a comprehensive list of what is required though hopefully you wouldn't go too far wrong by following these steps when creating an event. Now I would like to ask for your opinion, what have I missed that is an essential ingredient to creating an event and where would it fit in?

I love this, it's a very helpful post! It could be useful to set out a timeline at the start stating the points at which you want each task to be completed by. One thing we often fall short on is getting things done by the time we initially set, maybe laying out a timeline for everyone to see could be useful. Ask the staff as a whole what areas they'd like to work on, maybe create a spreadsheet indicating what needs to be done, what is done, what's almost done and also what tasks are getting close to our desired completion date that aren't complete. That way it would help us prioritize tasks, get essentials ready first and then get minor details completed all about a week before our desired release date, allowing for staff play throughs and bug checks.

Guest Former Staff

I love this, it's a very helpful post! It could be useful to set out a timeline at the start stating the points at which you want each task to be completed by. One thing we often fall short on is getting things done by the time we initially set, maybe laying out a timeline for everyone to see could be useful. Ask the staff as a whole what areas they'd like to work on, maybe create a spreadsheet indicating what needs to be done, what is done, what's almost done and also what tasks are getting close to our desired completion date that aren't complete. That way it would help us prioritize tasks, get essentials ready first and then get minor details completed all about a week before our desired release date, allowing for staff play throughs and bug checks.

Thanks for this feedback SkrapssparkS, I can see a few sections from my previous post are in line with your suggestions, which seem to agree with you. I assume you want to ensure that these areas are prioritised higher? If so, I completely agree. The following points in particular, I feel would help to keep progress moving along:

1. -Create a timescale checkpoint where you would like to see all of the core builds completed by (allow for leeway, use as a guideline for progress and not as confirmation for when the entire event will be finished by).
  2. -Ensure that access to those who want to participate is unhindered: People can join the event world to help build, warp to relevant multiverse worlds and use modmode / world edit.
  3. -Allow people to choose their own tasks, ensuring that map cleanup and core builds are the focus.
  4. -Follow up with people, ensuring that they are progressing ok. This can be done in-game, over mumble / IRC / other: Ideally encourage people to post updates of their progress.
  5. -Should anyone not be progressing on a task they have claimed, give them some time to work. Otherwise assign someone else to their build / take it over yourself so that it will be completed.

Thanks for this feedback SkrapssparkS, I can see a few sections from my previous post are in line with your suggestions, which seem to agree with you. I assume you want to ensure that these areas are prioritised higher? If so, I completely agree. The following points in particular, I feel would help to keep progress moving along:

1. -Create a timescale checkpoint where you would like to see all of the core builds completed by (allow for leeway, use as a guideline for progress and not as confirmation for when the entire event will be finished by).
  2. -Ensure that access to those who want to participate is unhindered: People can join the event world to help build, warp to relevant multiverse worlds and use modmode / world edit.
  3. -Allow people to choose their own tasks, ensuring that map cleanup and core builds are the focus.
  4. -Follow up with people, ensuring that they are progressing ok. This can be done in-game, over mumble / IRC / other: Ideally encourage people to post updates of their progress.
  5. -Should anyone not be progressing on a task they have claimed, give them some time to work. Otherwise assign someone else to their build / take it over yourself so that it will be completed.

Oh god completely missed that haha, yeah!

This is excellent Barlimore! 

If I can, I'd just like to add a couple ideas:

1. Create build contests (either yourself or delegated to a C mod (I am a C mod, shutup) or admin) on C to outsource some of the building and further make C players feel involved/valued in what are normally variations on PVE/PVP events. 
  2. With these template instructions let's try to also create a companion Gant Chart template for the timeline in Google Sheets that is easily updateable to show progress.
  3. Plan extra time into the timeline for inevitable delays.
  4. Create individual polls to ask the community, moderators, admins, and techs respectively what dates out of a range will be attendable by most. (A date where many players but no admins can show up is a poor choice, as is vice versa.) It may also be relevant to ask staff in general if many of them will be around the week before the event to ensure final testing has plenty of hands as well.
  5. For PVP events with a score, ensure that games either terminate (and hopefully restart) after a certain point total or spread, or that losing teams automatically get buffed to prevent runaway score games that result in one team simply giving up (or forming another team). I think we all know boredom and hopelessness breeds trouble, even if it only comes from half the players. In general, we should probably plan for multiple rounds, and just appreciate the happy circumstance of not needing them if the game ends up being perfectly balanced and long lasting. Additionally, perhaps rounds could have a set time, possibly to correspond with active time zones.

Guest Former Staff

Thanks for your contribution Master, I've added a section towards the end for other points to consider (it seemed the best way to bring a category to your ideas). In the interest of self satisfaction and the slight promise of the use of spreadsheets: I love the sound of a gantt chart although I can understand that this may be more of a personal choice from the project leader.

Two things I struggled with (and it may have been mentioned above, I only skimmed through your posts I apologize) is the "who is doing what and where" stage, and the prize stage. I will address each seperately.

1) who is doing what, and where - it would be nice to have clear communication/marked areas to make things. I made the obstacle race this time, and I enjoyed doing it, however until someone told me where to put it I wasn't really even sure where it should go or how to start. Making sure this is in the list is very important. I believe a good portion of your checklist addresses this so I am good with those.

2) prizes. There seemed to be no direction on how prizes should be awarded, what prizes should be given, and how often they should be given. (ie infinite signs vs one-time-win). Many of the prizes in the Olympiad first place were pointless (horse egg and armor) as it was an island map. I feel that if mini games are implemented in future events the prizes should be somewhat defined (for example: obstacle course minigame should have three prizes, first place should be ______,etc) - there can be some room for leeway but having no direction at all can make it unusable. I was trying to avoid the main world as much as possible to allow me to play CTF so I had no idea what a good prize would be.

3) There were also some last minute changes after the event had started, and I apologize for being short when changing the Olympiad prize box came up. Those need to be ironed out before the game begins - is there a place in your checklist where the admin running the event makes a run-through of all mini games to make sure they work/meet specs, etc? I feel like if switch had run through them beforehand some of the things he tried to fiddle with after the fact could have been fixed and tested without the game being live.

Guest Former Staff

Silversunset: I appreciate your comments greatly as we interacted a lot during this planning / preparation phase. I do have a few suggestions above to address those concerns such as a clear prize list for the builders of minigames to incorporate as they see fit (within the design of their build) and ensuring that we have a checklist through google docs / trello for people to access and easily be able to view who is working on each task. Even though (I feel) that I have addressed them above, I'm interested to hear that these were the top pieces of feedback you wanted to share because that at least affirms that we're working in the right direction by putting solutions in place.

My thoughts are that for people offering to help build things such as team bases, need to have parameters to work with: dimensions, design theme(s), clear direction and importantly a clearly marked area where this build is meant to be implemented into the world. This time around a lot of people were left to do these as / when they pleased. Your obstacle course had no limit, it could have gone on for 5000 rooms assuming you built them all in time. Hopefully by putting into practice the steps above, we can help people to feel more confident when working on a task.

is there a place in your checklist where the admin running the event makes a run-through of all mini games to make sure they work/meet specs, etc? I feel like if switch had run through them beforehand some of the things he tried to fiddle with after the fact could have been fixed and tested without the game being live.

No reason the head admin has to do the complete run-through, but I agree, someone should to ensure consistency.

Also, lol:

Two things

1)

2) 

3) 

2 and 3 are related so they count as one thing.

I was only saying the admin because switch didn't like how I'd set up the winners boxes and tried to fiddle with them after the event went live. I feel like that should have been done beforehand, nobody else knew what he wanted which is why I was thinking the person running the event.

I was only saying the admin because switch didn't like how I'd set up the winners boxes and tried to fiddle with them after the event went live. I feel like that should have been done beforehand, nobody else knew what he wanted which is why I was thinking the person running the event.

This was not because I didn't like how they were set up as I thought they were fine, I only changed it when users reported that they could get infinite items out of them.

Now perhaps I should of caught that when we were testing/building but we didn't and not everything can be found until it is in a live environment.

Guest Former Staff
Now perhaps I should of caught that when we were testing/building but we didn't and not everything can be found until it is in a live environment.

We learned a lot from our fundraiser planning / preparation and this topic is the best place to share solutions to our failings. SwitchViewz has a public topic gathering feedback which is more aimed at the gameplay itself, combined, I'm certain we'll have a good forumla to follow next time.

For now we need to tread carefully and avoid this blame culture. The final week of planning / preparation saw a number of people react in ways I didn't expect to see, in hindsight some of my own actions were not up to par so I'm sorry for that. We mustn't lose sight that we're all working together.

I admit I am actually in agreement with the parameters bit - more defined boundaries (or defined lack of boundaries :O) would be useful.  

I'm not a huge fan of project takeovers, but that may partly be due to my predispositions as a Padmin (on P we generally don't allow players to take over other players' builds, incomplete or otherwise, for any reason).  To ameliorate this, though it may be more work, maybe request some sort of a detailed (or as detailed as possible) plan from the original builder on their intended implementation?  That way there is a guide for someone who does take up the project to build according to the original builder's plan, or as close to it as possible.

I wasn't trying to blame, I apologize if it came out that way. I was only trying to provide the reasoning for what I had suggested as a bullet point in the checklist.

I believe having the admin running the event make a final run through of any prizes to be awarded and the method they are awarded is important. They don't necessarily need to run through the entire minigame (oh god imagine trying to test crocks maze!) but the last stretch should be validated.

Guest Former Staff

I wasn't trying to blame, I apologize if it came out that way. I was only trying to provide the reasoning for what I had suggested as a bullet point in the checklist.

Your posts didn't come across that way for me but just helped to remind me to address some of the behaviour during that final week of planning / preparation in particular.

I'm not a huge fan of project takeovers,

maybe request some sort of a detailed (or as detailed as possible) plan from the original builder on their intended implementation?  That way there is a guide for someone who does take up the project to build according to the original builder's plan, or as close to it as possible.

That sounds good. This way if someone is occupied with real life and cannot return to their task, then at least someone else could carry it on as best as they can, provided that either the original builder asks for someone else to take over or there is no progress for a significant amount of time (detirmined by the project leader(s).

Maybe we could have some sort of mumble planning kick off meeting prior to an event being built? I feel like talking in real time would help get things started. Maybe after the "planning template" is published. This would let people who want to help ask their questions in real time and hash things out quickly.

Ideally I'd love to see a mumble kick off, and a mumble wrap up a week before go-live to tie up any loose ends. Not sure how feasible that would be.

I know scheduling a time when everyone is available can be tricky, but it may be helpful to get things rolling.

Guest Former Staff

Maybe we could have some sort of mumble planning kick off meeting prior to an event being built? I feel like talking in real time would help get things started. Maybe after the "planning template" is published. This would let people who want to help ask their questions in real time and hash things out quickly.

I know scheduling a time when everyone is available can be tricky, but it may be helpful to get things rolling.

I think even if the project leader has a really good idea, it's still worth discussing it with others who can ensure that all is well, this is a great idea!

(Also I really love this idea btw. I get involved with a lot of systems projects at work because I am able to translate between finance and IT and they always seem to start the project really well and the fizzle out. Because of that I got sent to some trainings on "how to complete a project with large groups of people" so I ha e PLENTY of ideas lol)

Ok so it seems that no one did my usual job of trying to break all the things before an event goes live so I'm going to post this helpful checklist aptly named 

JudgeDreads Ambiguously Sized List of things to look for before a mini-game lobby goes live

Help  I'm stuck

Look for places players can fall into or warp into where they can't get out without mod assistance.

Inventory Managment

Potions: Will a strength, night vision, speed, jump boost make anything unfair (I actually don't know if we have a debuff easy sign)?

Ender Pearls: Can they use ender pearls to warp to places you don't want or even skip over everything entirely?

Item Drops: Can a player drop their kit on the ground get a reward and pick up their kit again after their inventory has been "cleared" essentially netting them a free kit?

Build Complete?

Command Abuse

From this last event lets see who passed

Spleef: (Failure) Players (me) got stuck under the floor, walls were 9 high or so low enough to be ender pearled over, and build was functional (I don't think the doors were working at first) but aesthetically incomplete.

Maze: (Failure) No barrier blocks around the outside of the maze blocking someone from enderpearling to the top of the maze and running to the prizes.

KOTH; (Failure) No barrier blocks around the outside of the hill blocking someone from enderpearling to the top and getting free stuff. Missing three blocks in the lobby making a player trap (asymmetrical while not a requirement I just wanted to yell at you Barlimore). Players were able to "/join" out netting them a free kit.

Obstacle Course: (Failure?) I didn't try to break this too much but the wall on the right side was only 5 high or so allowing for enderpearls to go over and get into the course, and I think in the minecart section players could get stuck in unusual circumstances.

Now most of these were fixed with a region flag and some quick building/finishing. This should hopefully help for the next event to prevent some of these silly things from happening, luckily nothing was overly abused before we noticed and before they became an issue.  

Ok so it seems that no one did my usual job of trying to break all the things before an event goes live so I'm going to post this helpful checklist aptly named

JudgeDreads Ambiguously Sized List of things to look for before a mini-game lobby goes live

Help I'm stuck

Inventory Managment

Build Complete?

Command Abuse

Spleef: (Failure) Players (me) got stuck under the floor, walls were 9 high or so low enough to be ender pearled over, and build was functional (I don't think the doors were working at first) but aesthetically incomplete.

Maze: (Failure) No barrier blocks around the outside of the maze blocking someone from enderpearling to the top of the maze and running to the prizes.

KOTH; (Failure) No barrier blocks around the outside of the hill blocking someone from enderpearling to the top and getting free stuff. Missing three blocks in the lobby making a player trap (asymmetrical while not a requirement I just wanted to yell at you Barlimore). Players were able to "/join" out netting them a free kit.

Obstacle Course: (Failure?) I didn't try to break this too much but the wall on the right side was only 5 high or so allowing for enderpearls to go over and get into the course, and I think in the minecart section players could get stuck in unusual circumstances.

Now most of these were fixed with a region flag and some quick building/finishing. This should hopefully help for the next event to prevent some of these silly things from happening, luckily nothing was overly abused before we noticed and before they became an issue.

Obstacle course did not fail at the beginning, I made some changes prior to go live :) also the entire thing was enclosed rooms, even if you you could pearl over the side wall there was no way into the race other than the starting box. And each room was a seperate closed structure so you couldn't cheat ahead (other than pearling across the one lava pit, which could only be averted with a "clear inventory to enter" sign. Maybe next time...). The only other way to clean up the cart section is to enclose everything in barrier blocks or tunnels. I didn't have time for that :(

JudgeDreads Ambiguously Sized List of things to look for before a mini-game lobby goes live

Help I'm stuck

Inventory Managment

Build Complete?

Command Abuse

Okay first off the maze wiped your inventory before you went in and you never had anything in the area to begin with, so just straight up calling projects that folks worked hard on failures is a douchey thing to start with. I never even saw you at the event nor help so where is your ground to stand on?

Guest Former Staff

Okay first off the maze wiped your inventory before you went in and you never had anything in the area to begin with, so just straight up calling projects that folks worked hard on failures is a douchey thing to start with. I never even saw you at the event nor help so where is your ground to stand on?

Going back to an earlier post of mine in this topic, we're all here to help each other. While the maze and other minigames were not failures, the "stress-test" that JudgeDread provided shows that there are some elements that would completely break the gameplay. I hadn't considered the ones he had mentioned.

While JudgeDread was not around for the planning / preparation, he is here now offering feedback for next time. Let's listen and use it.

I guess I should clarify to everyone that each of your projects were amazing, crockoduck the issue issue wasn't the maze itself that was fine there was a five block area or so on the walkway outside of it where a player could grab an enderpearl from the enderchest and lob it into the maze area and walk to the prize at the end. This was fixed as were a majority of the other problems I stated above with the flag enderpearl-deny. The checklist was for future reference because I couldn't make it to preparation so I pasted my personal list plus some new exploits we discovered this event. I'm sorry if this came off as me saying that your maze(or any other project) was bad or a failure overall, I simply meant that for the first few hours on event they were open to some exploitation that may have ruined the fun of them.