Beds and Survival: Part II - The Feedback Thread

Mrloud15

It has been about a week after the start of the rev with beds enabled. For those who don't know, we have set it up if you die within a 10  block radius of your bed you spawn is reset to spawn. 

Here are a few questions to help get the discussion stated.

Do you like having beds?

Do you like this solution to stop bed camping?

Anything we should change?

• Upvote 1

I certainly approve of the beds, a lot. It leads to far more intense fights in bases, and there's a better chance to keep the fight going on without borderline spawn camping. It saves a lot of boredom, running down the roads every damn time we die. Don't get me wrong, I loved not having beds. I guess it's just great to have a change in the spawning system, and a fairly positive one. It still allows for tough PvP fights, just closer to homes and most like with more risk.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to keep them for now. They're really handy for the building side of the server, you can get straight back to building your base if you die. For these circumstances I really love beds. There's not actually been any big PvP or clan fights yet as most are still getting prepared but I'll be interested to see the effect this has on PvP.

I think the death within 10 blocks of your bed is also a good solution to bed camping, however I reckon it should be changed slightly. I think you should have 3 chances of respawning at your bed if you're within the 10 block distance. It gives you a better chance to fight back against mobs/players. At the moment it's sort of a disadvantage to you to get killed by your bed because you have to run all the way back to your base whereas there's no disadvantage to the attacker. Maybe consider adding a slight amount of damage to the attacker if they kill you within a short distance of the bed. I'm not certain about this though because there are some flaws like armoured PvP happening within range of the bed. What do you think?

• Upvote 2

Do you like having beds?

1.) Yeah, I've certainly been enjoying them.

2.) From what I've experienced it's been mostly good. The only bad thing is when your bed is more than ten meters from your chest room(for example)  and someone hangs around in there so whenever you go back in there, they just kill you. In conclusion, better than not beds, but not necessarily fixed the problem completely.

3.) Yes, as pointed out in number 2, although unfortunately I do not have any ideas at present. Sorry!

• Upvote 1

Do you like having beds?

• Yes and No
    • Yes, because I now don't have to run for an hour to get back to my base
    • No, because it spreads players out a lot more since people wont build as close to spawn as they used to

• Yes and no
    • Yes I understand the need to prevent camping however this could be done simply by using combat tag
    • No because it resets my home if I die within 10 blocks of my bed which is annoying when it is done naturally

• You could try implementing the combat tag solution for respawn timing and give the player invisibility for 30 seconds to get away. 

1. Do you like having beds?
  2. Do you like this solution to stop bed camping?
  3. Anything we should change?

1. Yes

2. Yes, somewhat.

3. It would be nice to have an option to respawn at your bed or at spawn. In the subreddit notice for this feedback thread, it was suggested there be a room at spawn with two signs in it. Players killed near their beds spawn in the room. If they hit one sign, they return to their bed. If they hit the other or maybe just drop through a hole or something, they end up back in the normal spawn area.

I'm very appreciative of the fact that beds can be locked. I would not like my bed to be moved, and to respawn at spawn instead of the bed.

• Upvote 1

I think you should have 3 chances of respawning at your bed if you're within the 10 block distance. It gives you a better chance to fight back against mobs/players.

From a tech's perspective, implementing a bed radius was the laziest, simplest thing I could possibly do.  But I think it also more fully embodies the intended behaviour - to prevent repeated deaths due to spawning naked in a place where PvP is allowed (unlike top spawn).  

For the problem of dying near your bed accidentally, having a 3 strikes rule will lead to more successful bed camping. I think simply giving players the choice to respawn at their bed, as has been suggested, is a better solution to that.

2.) From what I've experienced it's been mostly good. The only bad thing is when your bed is more than ten meters from your chest room(for example)  and someone hangs around in there so whenever you go back in there, they just kill you. In conclusion, better than not beds, but not necessarily fixed the problem completely.

That has an easy solution: put a chest of emergency supplies by your bed.  It's in the realm of base design.

I'm very appreciative of the fact that beds can be locked. I would not like my bed to be moved, and to respawn at spawn instead of the bed.

I don't think we've mentioned it anywhere: lock both ends of the bed with LWC, or else it can still be broken.

• Upvote 3

The only issue I could see with beds is the possibility of bases with no entrances. I haven't seen an example of this yet, but you could build a base with many layers of obsidian, with a one-way exit like a water drop, and no entrance. Simply have an enderchest on the outside, kill yourself, respawn inside and unload your inventory from the enderchest. Such a base would be nearly unraidable.

• Upvote 2

Do you like having beds?

1. Yes its such a pain to walk 500 blocks back when you die.

2. Yes and No. The ten block rule is good but i think it would also be good to add either an option like already mentioned to respawn in the bed or spawn or to make it so that your spawn is only reset if it is a pvp kill it get annoying when you fall or die to a creeper and have to come back from spawn cause you were to close to your bed. I Think this would handle camping the same and the only other danger is if there is allot of mobs right next to your bed.

3. mentioned above ^

In the meeting the majority supported the idea that if you die within 10 blocks of your bed then you are teleported to a room where you can decide whether to respawn at spawn or back at your bed using warp signs. The proposal of having a delay to respawn was also supported to prevent zerging from your bed, however this may need a bit more discussion.

Both of these ideas seem good to me, possibly a trial period would be useful here to assess it's suitability?

• Upvote 2