Admanta's New AMA!

admanta

Cool biology facts:

You have 10 X the number of nonhuman cells in your body as you do human cells; most are bacteria that live in our intestines. They are around 1/100th the size of your human cells but are essential for processing food into energy. With out them we'd be unable to survive. The mass die off that occurs after you take antibiotics in your intestines are why you have to run to the restroom more often while taking them.

We know remarkably little about ocean life.  I spent every other day for a year scuba diving down to a shallow reef observing and documenting the number of cleaner shrimps on one species of sea anemone.   Even many basic things are unknown. For example: What does that fish eat?  How long do they live? How fast do they grow? What age do they reach sexual maturity? When, where, how and how often they have sex. How many babies are produced?  etc. 

I regret not studying aquatic plant biology more.  Though quite good at it, I found animals more interesting than plants. That has proved to be a major mistake on my part because the field has exploded in recent years on account of biofuel research. When --not if--- we run out of oil we'll start relying algae for pretty much everything we use oil for currently. From fuel to plastics, algae derived products will start becoming a major part of everyday life. 

A few other cool tidbits:

There is a much larger number of species of freshwater fish than than species from the ocean.  This is because fresh water has much more variability in habitat. If you're in a river if you go 100 miles up stream or down stream conditions are likely very different than where you are currently.  The water may be much warmer or colder or have more silt or sand in it.   In the ocean go 100 miles north or south things are going to be pretty similar to where you are now.

In general cold sea water means big animals.  Cold water can hold more dissolved nutrients than warmer water. The nutrients promote algae growth that provides the basis of the food chain.  Small animals eat the algae and they get eaten by progressively larger animals. This is part of why you see whales year round at the polar regions.  The high amount of available energy promotes species growth.

Warm water regions are nutrient poor.  In the tropics once you get away from the reef it's essentialy a dessert. Though densely packed the total number of species on a reef is smaller than what you'll find in temperate /sub polar regions.

DAE le reddit?

Reddit army checking in. Over.

reddit-army-520x245.jpg

• Upvote 3

If you could choose anyone to come into mumble everyday and use one of your catch phrases...who would it be and what would they say? (example: Bitches! or DAE le reddit army?)

"Hello Bitches!"  on account of me shamelessly stealing the line from this guy.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it true that you're too fat for /r/gonewild?

What's it like living in a demon chicken's anus?

Is Waldoism not for profit?

The game.
What do you say about the rumors that you only bought your way to the position of Head Priest of Waldoism by demonstrating your wealth by diving into a pit of $pudcoin, a la Scrooge McDuck?

Do you like being nerd.nu's answer to /u/Unidan?

What is your opinion on [insert relevant controversial topic here]?

Edited by twilexis

Is it true that you're too fat for /r/gonewild?

What's it like living in a demon chicken's anus?

Is Waldoism not for profit?

The game.

What do you say about the rumors that you only bought your way to the position of Head Priest of Waldoism by demonstrating your wealth by diving into a pit of $pudcoin, a la Scrooge McDuck?

Do you like being nerd.nu's answer to /u/Unidan?

What is your opinion on [insert relevant controversial topic here]?

Nope, I'm a healthy weight. 5'11 155 Lbs.

I like the view of south portal and Zombie pigmen make surprisingly good neighbors if you don't piss them off.

Correct, we take what we need and give the rest to the Rose City treasury. In making a safe path up to the Waldo I encountered a substantial amount  quartz which was given to Rose as tribute for letting Waldoism continue to exist.

Well played

I wish I had that mush spud coin.

I like it, /u/unidan is awesome.

• 1 month later...

What question do you really want to answer that nobody has asked yet?

Favorite plane.

How many fucks do you give as of now?

How many fucks did you give when you first joined nerd.nu?

When do you think you'll run out of fucks if not already? 

Exactly 4.2

Already have my friend. :Chicken:

• 2 months later...