Starting a nerd.nu Discord

joshuaherman

Only interested if the eventual plan is to migrate from mumble.

Having multiple options will only serve to fragment the already small percentage of the community that use the services outside the actual game sever

• Upvote 7

Only interested if the eventual plan is to migrate from mumble.

Having multiple options will only serve to fragment the already small percentage of the community that use the services outside the actual game sever

And with that said, I have used Discord and still prefer Mumble. The main advantage to Discord is people can connect and not have to install anything. The downside to that is, those using the web client have no PTT function if the browser is not the active tab. The chat features I would never use anyways. We have in game chat and an iirc I rarely use. I dont even read the chat that appears in mumble.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping! With the recent mention of discord on the subreddit perhaps it would be a good idea to look into migrating away from mumble and IRC? Discord does both chat and voice, thus we could cut our needed applications down from 2 to 1.

I've done some minor server hoping and messing around with Discord and so far I quite like it. It is a great combination of IRC and Voice. The best part is that you don't even need to download anything. It is 100% in browser and only have to download it if you want to.

This could also eliminate the need for Google Hangouts that some of the admin teams are using which would help with fragmentation.

EDIT: Did some more goofing around and so far I'm quite liking it. Things are super easy to set up and use and from a admin perspective it is easy to customize and set up. From my experience so far with it I'd would definitely recommend we look into the potential of this.

Guest Former Staff

Bumping! With the recent mention of discord on the subreddit perhaps it would be a good idea to look into migrating away from mumble and IRC?

Certainly worth bringing up while the subject it fresh in people's minds. At the moment we seem to have a divide of opinions with some really good points either side.

I do really like some of the features it has, switch and I fiddled about with it last night for a bit. You can color staff groups, set individual player volumes client side, the chat interface is *much* easier than mumble (more like an IRC client). It's got @ pings as well, and you can join chat rooms or voice chat at the same time or seperate. It would allow more control over somethings that everyone seems to like.

However I think the biggest stumbling block is that mumble is something we run. It's not hosted by some online untested company, we can handle it on our own server-wise. Discord is dependent on the company hosting/building it being active.

Really I think that's my main concern, Otherwise i like it. But if we are keeping mumble I don't see the purpose is having multiple chat programs. People are used to mumble and IRC being there. If we swap it would have to be a wholesale swap, which means whatever we swap to needs to be as stable as we can make it.

• Upvote 1

One of the biggest problems I see with discord is that they seem to be suffering greatly from dotcomitis.. All service side hosting and little to no actual business plan.

At least with mumble or even something like teamspeak we can host/control the server aspect - downside obviously being the potential for DDoS, but then again it doesn't place us at the whim of whichever VC is behind Discord deciding not to do another round of funding..

Just looking through the teamspeak ecosystem, I see somethings available like group and private chats that might be useful, but not sure how much of that might be available for mumble too ... I.e. If there were any kind of irc type plugins or anything that we might be able to supplant that

• Upvote 1

Silversunset and rob_r mostly summed up my largest criticism: that they have little in the way of a business plan and are an entirely proprietary hosted service. If they alter their terms or shut down (because venture funders will demand a return on their investment sooner or later) we'd be screwed. Mumble is 100% open source, highly configurable (we could even increase the audio bitrate if we needed) and hosted by us. It will always be available, and has plenty of OS support. (Side note: the next release of Mumble will add the ability to adjust the volume of individual users, which is my favorite part of Discord.)

Moreover, I didn't exactly have the best experience with Discord. It was very slow to load initially, and connecting to voice channels had a significant wait as well. It doesn't seem to perform well on low bandwidth or high latency connections (which is something Mumble does well). I'm not a huge fan of the text channels being decoupled from the voice ones either, which makes sharing links to people in your voice room less convenient. Other than that, the Slack-style chat interface is fairly neat...but that's hardly a selling point when a chat system like that is fairly easy to make. There's even a major Slack clone you can host yourself now.

I'm also not a fan of unnecessarily splintering the community. Replacing Mumble, a destination many users know about and go to to hang out, would create significant upheaval...and doing it for a closed product owned by an unproven business is very imprudent.

• Upvote 2