Should we remove skeleton horse spawning?

SwitchViewz

Should we remove or drastically reduce skeleton horse spawning?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should we remove or drastically reduce skeleton horse spawning?

• Yes
    • No
    • Reduce/limit them but do not remove them

Hey folks, just a quick poll for PvE. Currently skeleton horses are spawning like crazy everywhere and if a thunerstorm happens then god help us. Being only a week into the revision and having over 500 horses on the map, most of which are skeleton horses is a problem. It affects server tps and preformance as well as client preformance if you are nearby.

Would you be okay with us preventing skeleton horse spawning or drastically limiting it to help reduce lag?

Thanks all!

• Upvote 1

They do spawn way too often, but I don't think we should eliminate them entirely. maybe make them as rare as charged creepers are. Not completely unheard of. but so rare they always are a surprise

I also like the idea of special drops from them, although I'm not sure what they should be

Edited by driftingnomad
  • Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

Like some others, I've enjoyed them to a degree. They provide a bit of a challenge on PvE with mob combat.

Due to hard mode, thunderstorms seem to produce them pretty often. At Haven we usually have 6~ traps spawn each thunderstorm (each with 4 skeletal riders). Having anything from 50% or less spawns would still provide the same difficulty for me but it wouldn't feel too tedious to be clearing the land of so many groups of riders.

Would moblimiter be an option in this regard?

Due to hard mode, thunderstorms seem to produce them pretty often. At Haven we usually have 6~ traps spawn each thunderstorm (each with 4 skeletal riders). Having anything from 50% or less spawns would still provide the same difficulty for me but it wouldn't feel too tedious to be clearing the land of so many groups of riders.

I haven't encountered two traps at the same, but just as long as you have a little bit of armor and a bow/arrow, they're pretty easy. But maybe I'm missing out on being mobbed by them.

I really like the idea of skeleton horses being steeds that come from the environment once you best the skeletons riding them.  In terms of the PvE social scene I think surplus skeleton horses would make nice starter horses for players (can't feed or equip armor on them, but as a faster-than-minecart transport they work), so in that sense I am not too fond of removing them.  The PvE challenge that the skeleton trap horses present can be hard, but in terms of difficulty I don't think they are that close to impossible to either neutralize (kill the skeletons), eliminate (kill both them and the horses), or flee from with the proper equipment (if you can sprint anyway).

However, the current mob count is a compelling argument for reducing the spawns - perhaps add in a chance for a skeleton trap to fail to spawn?  I imagine it's possible to revise down the frequency to something that would allow all players to get a skeleton horse (if they choose) within maybe a month or two or some other time frame (though if this time frame is too long it might be redundant as players may reject them in favor of real live horses).  But since skeleton horses are not breedable, this would probably hurt players who seek to amass skeleton horses (either for their own collection or for handing out to players or for other reasons).  Maybe a method of breeding or summoning skeleton horses (maybe with a rider?) can be added in conjunction with a downward revision of the spawning frequency (maybe after an event?)?  Since skeleton trap horses are relatively common, at least for right now, the cost of doing so should not be extremely high...the downside is that a summoning that was once imposed by the game without control from the player is now in the hands of the player, resulting in the environment being less dangerous, but maybe that is unavoidable.

As a current measure, would it help significantly if skeleton horses were made to not collide with other skeleton horses, for ones kept in pens?  Or are most of the current horses roaming freely?

Edited by buzzie71
  • Upvote 1

Instead of removing them, we should take a different approach.

Skelly Horses should instead be treated as regular mobs that can spawn and de-spawn. Each freshly spawned skelly horse will bring a can of ass-whoop to open if you get too close and the horses will de-spawn like any regular hostile mob, repeating the process. 

This creates a solution that decreases lag/clutter, but also brings a challenge with it. 

Another thought I had.

Usually with minecraft, when it rains, I sleep the next night and get rid of the storm. with the amount of players we have(which is awesome) the chances of 50+ players sleeping is practically 0. so storms drag on forever, exasperating the skelly horse problem.

Would it be possible to just dial down the frequency and/or duration of storms thereby reducing skelly trap rates and moving the server out of the rainforest?

(also inb4 optifine eliminates storms client side)

Another thought I had.

Usually with minecraft, when it rains, I sleep the next night and get rid of the storm. with the amount of players we have(which is awesome) the chances of 50+ players sleeping is practically 0. so storms drag on forever, exasperating the skelly horse problem.

Would it be possible to just dial down the frequency and/or duration of storms thereby reducing skelly trap rates and moving the server out of the rainforest?

(also inb4 optifine eliminates storms client side)

I like storms since they give +20 fishing, but I think maybe the kids these days have moved on to "auto"fishing anyway.

Guest Former Staff

Out of curiosity, how long will this poll be active before any potential changes are made?

Edit - Assuming that reducing or limiting them goes ahead based on the current poll results, what is the next step from here?

Edited by Barlimore

Out of curiosity, how long will this poll be active before any potential changes are made?

Edit - Assuming that reducing or limiting them goes ahead based on the current poll results, what is the next step from here?

It'll be active till the end of this week, though the answer is pretty clear. There will most likely be a section in the blog post later this week about this.

Guest Former Staff

I'd like to see them stay. I've only seen one yet this rev, I don't think they are that scary. If most players vote to remove them, giant zombies would be a cool replacement.

We're going on a boat trip next time you're on. ;-)

Guest Former Staff

It'll be active till the end of this week, though the answer is pretty clear. There will most likely be a section in the blog post later this week about this.

Hey, any update on this poll / the blog?

Hey, any update on this poll / the blog?

The tech admins are working on something to get the spawning under control but we have no ETA at the moment.

As for blog posts, I was rather busy this weekend and was unable to finish it. It should be out within the next few days.

Guest Former Staff

hi switch

Hehe, I've stopped asking at this point. :-P

I am curious to know more about the impact that there has been on the server now that skeleton trap horses aren't just spawning skeleton riders. How is that impacting the server?

From my perspective it's bloody terrifying when four ghasts pop up right in front of you but I really enjoy the element of surprise with every trap.

Sorry it took so long to get the blog post done, I've had some serious family issues happen recently and have not had the time I would like. The blog post has been posted to the link below and it says what we have done with skeleton horses. Thanks everyone for there feedback in this poll! Closing this topic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mcpublic/comments/4p7vvq/pve_june_blog_post/