A couple of questions regarding the Forums

Four_Down

After our recent openness discussion, I've got a couple questions regarding the forums:

1) How much was the initial price for this forum, and everything included with them?

2) Is there a renewal price? How often does the forum need to be renewed?

Also, If possible, could Deaygo, or another tech do another one of these at some point after the CTF (Update on that please :3)?

Thanks!

Note: If you don't know anything about the forums, or aren't going to add something to a discussion, please don't comment, thanks.

Edited by Four_Down
  • Upvote 6

<Comment removed>

Teddy, I really don't appreciate you insulting me on my thread.

As I said in the OP, I didn't want stupid, non-constructive comments here, so take them somewhere else.

Edited by Four_Down
  • Upvote 3

I'm interested to hear about this too.

I like the fact that nerd is open about their expenses, which is one of the reasons I've felt confident donating hundreds of dollars to this server, because I can see that it's well spent, maintaining one of my favorite minecraft communities.

Judging by that link you provided GMMan, it looks like it was at least $215, with a $65 renewal every 6 months.  I'd love to hear a firm number from an Admin.

• Upvote 3

There are far better things we could be spending our money on IMO (advertising, hardware) as I'm sure many agree judging from the harsh reaction the forums recieved when we first got them.

Seeing as it is money donated from the players of the server, we should definitely be told and agree on what we're spending it on before we've done so.

Edited by TornadoHorse
  • Upvote 3

Edit: -

There are far better things we could be spending our money on IMO (advertising, hardware) as I'm sure many agree judging from the harsh reaction the forums recieved when we first got them.

Seeing as it is money donated from the players of the server, we should definitely be told and agree on what we're spending it on before we've done so.

I don't really care what they do with the money, as long as it's going to the servers themselves, I don't want to donate $50.00 and a staff member uses that money to buy themselves a new graphics card or some newly released game. I want all the money i'm donating to these servers to be used on the servers, like to buy a new firewall or pay for some security software for the poor box [not like linux has any]. If they want to spend it on a new forum or get expensive DDOS Mitigation, i won't care, as long as it's helping them, i'll be happy

However, if they have left over money that they don't need from donations, I won't care if they use it for personal use, or even donate it to people in need, it's a fundraiser event for the server owners after all, I should just be happy that I can even donate to them and help them pay for the server :smile:

Edited by coolgamerovr90

However, if they have left over money that they don't need from donations, I won't care if they use it for personal use, or even donate it to people in need, it's a fundraiser event for the server owners after all, I should just be happy that I can even donate to them and help them pay for the server :smile:

As far as i know

If there is leftover money it will be saved for the servers, thats why we dont need to make a fundraiser every month

also, yes the money could be spend on advertising but imho why ?

Isnt it better to save the money to pay for the server rent instead of advertising i rather have a server with a smaller community where i am sure it will still be there in 6 or 12 months then a server with a big community that struggles with the rent.

NO you dont get to say for which specific thing it should be used, by donating you are saying use it for the servers, and that is for what it will be used. Why is that ? Simple because otherwise the admins would need to ask for every single time they need to use money for the servers, and what if someone says no ? cancel the project ?

Can you tell the red cross to not use your donation for fuel ? No you cant. Because its not your business anymore.

The whole team so far did a great job on keeping the servers alive up and running, so where do this trust issues come from suddenly ?

• Upvote 3

I would agree with this sentiment, that we should be open with what we're planning on doing with the money that people have donated. This is tricky to do once the money has already come in - e.g. that £20 you donated 6 months ago might have been sitting in reserve until now, and now it's being used to buy X or Y thing that you might not have agreed to - so I think laying out what the plans are for using the money that we receive is great and people are able to better decide whether they want to donate their money.

NO you dont get to say for which specific thing it should be used, by donating you are saying use it for the servers, and that is for what it will be used.

While I don't agree with the tone used here, I do agree that it's not sensible to expect people to be able to say specifically what every pound/dollar/penny/cent goes towards. This is why we should be laying it out clear on the table what the plans for the money are. No one will disagree with you about the money being used "for the servers", it's quite clear that we trust that people not to go buying themselves personal items with the money. IIRC Allnaturalx controls the bank account/funds, and someone like Deaygo or one of the head admins will get into contact with him when it's necessary to transfer funds (for things like server costs, purchasing the new forums, etc).

Can you tell the red cross to not use your donation for fuel ? No you cant. Because its not your business anymore.

No, of course not. But you can read about what the Red Cross will be doing with your money. I'm sure a fraction of donations will go towards things like reimbursing fuel costs required to reach particular activities (particularly relevant in places like Australia), but they list quite clearly what efforts their donations go towards, and people donate with the comfort of knowing that it will go towards something they support. If they didn't support it, they just won't donate. Currently we don't run any kind of monetary efforts to support individual servers. If we set up advertising specifically for s.nerd.nu and neither of the other two communities, I would absolutely be understanding if anyone who donated was upset with this. Similarly, and I think this is something others in this post have attempted to highlight, is that the decision to purchase the forums was sudden, and without decent prior public knowledge (I do know that individual non-staff users had access to the testing forums though, so it was known to some of the community, but certainly not all). We can argue for days about whether or not the new forums were necessary - so let's not get into that - but people who donated and saw the forums revamp as not necessary to the ongoing benefit of the servers will have been rightfully discontent with the fact that the purchase was done without their understanding or knowledge.

We do say that donations go to the benefit of the servers overall, but it's not clear exactly what that entails. Perhaps when a previously unconsidered idea comes up that would benefit the servers, and it requires making use of our donation money, it should be proposed to the entire community first. Sort of like 'hey, we're considering rehosting the server to Australia because it will benefit us in x, y, and z ways*, but it will take a decent chunk out of our reserve funds - how do people feel about this?'. Nonsense surrounding the hilarious switcharoo of available ping to the servers aside, it would be nice for anyone who is considering or has donated to the servers to know that their funds are being put to good use. If we made the aforementioned decision without telling anyone, imagine the fallout there would be. There's nothing wrong with keeping people up-to-date and in the know on our plans to use the donation money, and there's also nothing wrong with ensuring the community actually has a say in that.

* All of these are koala related ways.

• Upvote 5

As far as i know

If there is leftover money it will be saved for the servers, thats why we dont need to make a fundraiser every month

also, yes the money could be spend on advertising but imho why ?

Isnt it better to save the money to pay for the server rent instead of advertising i rather have a server with a smaller community where i am sure it will still be there in 6 or 12 months then a server with a big community that struggles with the rent.

I agree with what Tharine said about the topic, and I personally think that most of the community here is from Reddit. I know we have people joining because they saw our server on minecraftserverlist.com, but most of the players, from what i've seen on my time playing on S since the new revision and towards the end of temp chaos is that more than half of the new players are all coming from popular minecraft server websites. I really think that totemo and JohnAdams1735 have been working on advertising the servers all over the place. totemo even enabled UDP query, something that I told was banned because it interfered with a major plugin they use. With all the dedication they have put forward to getting the servers well out there and on every possible minecraft server list out there, I think we have advertised enough. We don't need to have someone design a fancy banner and pay $300.00 just to have it shown at the top of a popular minecraft website. It just seems completely unecessary. Nerd.Nu, the MCPublic Reddit minecraft servers are very well known among most of r/Minecraft and among some very avid minecraft players.

I really think we have addressed the advertising issue enough already, to the point where it probably won't be an issue in the near future at all.

Edited by coolgamerovr90

totemo even enabled UDP query, something that I told was banned because it interfered with a major plugin they use. With all the dedication they have put forward to getting the servers well out there and on every possible minecraft server list out there, I think we have advertised enough. 

I think the reasons for not enabling the GameSpy query protocol previously were technical (complicated connection relay setup).  In any case, it's enabled.  We're somewhat hampered by a bug in the Curse Network's Minecraft Servers listing site which prevents us from being able to reclaim our listing of those servers.  They have acknowledged it and say they will fix it when they fix it.  Not much more we can do about that other than check up on it periodically.

As far as promoting ourselves goes, I think putting more content up on YouTube is the way to go.  A quick search there for reddit, mcpublic or nerd yields about an even split of desirable content and grief team videos featuring our servers.  But if you take a look around any of our servers lately there's a uniformly high quality of builds on all three that we should show off.  P, in particular, is amazing.

• Upvote 2

I think the reasons for not enabling the GameSpy query protocol previously were technical (complicated connection relay setup). In any case, it's enabled. We're somewhat hampered by a bug in the Curse Network's Minecraft Servers listing site which prevents us from being able to reclaim our listing of those servers. They have acknowledged it and say they will fix it when they fix it. Not much more we can do about that other than check up on it periodically.

As far as promoting ourselves goes, I think putting more content up on YouTube is the way to go. A quick search there for reddit, mcpublic or nerd yields about an even split of desirable content and grief team videos featuring our servers. But if you take a look around any of our servers lately there's a uniformly high quality of builds on all three that we should show off. P, in particular, is amazing.

I do agree that more YouTube videos could be put up, I sometimes record parts of S and C and put them up on YouTube, I can't seem to find any griefing videos of P, only exploration videos and info about the server, so I think that may be good there. I usually just record arena fights, then tag them with things like "mcpublic" "reddit" "minecraft" "servers" "nerdnu" "nerd.nu" "survival" "arena" "PvP" "minecraft" "servers" and more. I am hoping that some of these good videos showing off the interesting part of these servers and how fun it can be to play on them will get mixed in with those grief team videos, and people might just take a look at those videos over the other ones. YouTube seems to be a popular place for most minecraft players, and videos of our servers might just show some interest to them to come on and check these servers out. Here are some of my videos of the servers Edited by coolgamerovr90

Honestly. You want more youtube content? We have a channel for that. Just send us the vids and we'll put them up. It's as simple as that.

As far as what we spend the donation money on, we always work in the best interests of the servers. Do you remember the old forums? Broken, broken, broken. Out of the kindness of his free time, jcll did a lot of legwork in finding new forums that would be secure, maintained, and have some kick ass technical support for us. Which is EXACTLY what he found. Did they cost money? Of course they did. You have to pay money to get a QUALITY product. Could have we gone with something cheaper? Maybe, but would it have the same features and services? Probably not.

And do not harp on some small detail about the forums and how you disagree with them (I'm thinking of the upvote/downvote thing).

I am done hearing about this drama post. Please stop stirring shit and actually do something productive, like telling us YOUR ideas about how to make things better. I'll listen to constructive criticism.

It also sucks really bad that so many players seem to not trust the staff to act in the best interest of the servers and use the money responsibly. Nerd has survived and thrived in the same way for over two years now. I've personally seen two donation drives (and an attempted third). I donated because I wanted to help the servers and trusted the staff (mostly Deaygo tbh) to spend the money exactly as the donation website said it would be: for monthly costs of the servers, any future hardware upgrades (the most recent one hasn't received NEARLY as much drama as the forums. Why is that? Why pick on the forums?) and for the benefit of the server. I never had the desire to dictate to the staff specifics about how the money is spent, so long as the servers are kept up and other services that are provided (such as the forums). I won't say how much I personally donated over the past two years, but I never hesitated to do so knowing that my own, (relatively) small contribution would go to helping the servers live on, grow, and improve.

Given that Four_Down has his answer, I am closing this post.

• Upvote 4