Biome Distribution Poll and Planning Thread

Dumbo52

Biome Distribution  

40 members have voted

1. 1. In which of the following biomes/features would you most like to build during the next Creative revision?

• Oak Forest
    • Spruce Forest
    • Plains
    • Jungle
    • Hill
    • Swamp
    • Desert
    • Snow
    • Mountain
    • Stone
    • Nether
    • End
    • Mushroom
    • River
    • Lake
    • Waterfall
    • Ocean
  2. 2. In which of the following biomes/features would you least like to build during the next revision?

• Oak Forest
    • Spruce Forest
    • Plains
    • Jungle
    • Hill
    • Swamp
    • Desert
    • Snow
    • Mountain
    • Stone
    • Nether
    • End
    • Mushroom
    • River
    • Lake
    • Waterfall
    • Ocean
  3. 3. In about what percentage of your builds on Creative do you use naturally occurring bodies of water?

• 0%
    • 20%
    • 40%
    • 60%
    • 80%
    • 100%

It's that time again!

We're well into the current revision of Creative, and the question has already begun to float around the Creative community: What's next? A good amount of discussion has already taken place within our team of admins as to what we'd like Revision 25 of Creative to look like, in terms of both the map and policy. One topic which we've been pondering is biome distribution. This is where we need your help: we'd like input on how much of each type of biome you want to see. I've included a poll in this topic, in order to give us a more quantitative analysis of your views.

What can I do to help?

Everyone's input is valuable here, whether you're a Creative regular or not. With this thread, we're hoping to spark some discussion about this topic and receive feedback on what we can do in order to make next revision enjoyable for everyone. To help out with the decision on how to distribute biomes and other terrain features, you can start by submitting your vote in the poll attached to this discussion. The three poll questions are relatively self-explanatory; please try to select only a few choices from the first two questions.

Additional feedback regarding the terrain is also appreciated. If you have comments, questions, concerns, or any suggestions, just post in this thread.

How will the results be used?

The next map will be created using WorldPainter, a third party tool which allows us to 'paint' the biomes and terrain that we want onto the map. We will tabulate the results of the poll and analyze how much of each type of terrain is warranted by the community's input. We will also take into account responses that come in the form of posts, as these can provide valuable insight which the poll results lack.

This topic is solely meant for discussion on the terrain, biomes, and land features that will be present in the coming revision. Please hold off on your unrelated comments on next revision; there will be a place to post those later on.

Guest Former Staff

Will there be access to other Dimensions, like the Nether and the End next rev? Also will minecart with TNT be available, but with explosion turned off?

This topic is solely meant for discussion on the terrain, biomes, and land features that will be present in the coming revision. Please hold off on your unrelated comments on next revision; there will be a place to post those later on.

"terrain, biomes, and land features"

I thought my remark was on-topic.  I stand corrected.  I guess.  :dry:

• Upvote 1

I just want to say I hate jungles.

True. Jungles are only useful for tree towns and cities etc. so keep them to a minimum. Flat land is best of course. I would like to see more plains biomes around as well, as they can be really great for flattening out and building on with ease. Basically, a bit of everything :P

• Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

I just want to say I hate jungles. 

I've been hearing this feedback a lot, as well as sharing the opinion too. Jungles are definitely going to be cut back, sorry Greenpeace!

In my opinion I think there should be less water-based biomes (oceans), too many players build a 1 block layer to work on instead of creating an island properly. I believe plains are the most popular biomes for creative, but hey, I would definiately love extreme biomes like Veronicron and a bunch of peeps did 2 revs ago.

Guest Former Staff

In my opinion I think there should be less water-based biomes (oceans), too many players build a 1 block layer to work on instead of creating an island properly.

It's interesting seeing how disliked the ocean biome is from poll feedback and some of the discussion points here. This was an unexpected result from my opinion as based on cartographs which we've been looking into, oceans have been widely used. However I can see a good case that if more of that ocean was a more popular biome then there may be even more build density than we're seeing.

but hey, I would definiately love extreme biomes like Veronicron and a bunch of peeps did 2 revs ago.

With extreme biomes, as long as they are something that people can work with, more than they can work against, I would be interested. Do you have any suggestions along this thread?

Edited by Barlimore
Included a second quote.

I would like to see more naturally occurring islands. Having my own island out in the ocean, maybe within view of the mainland, is my dream build spot. I realize I could make my own, but it would probably float, simply because I don't want to have to place that many blocks that won't even get seen.

• Upvote 3

Guest Former Staff

Thanks for the feedback Kinagi, we further discussed your suggestion in-game and you put forward the islands varying in size would be an interesting factor.

I'm definitely voting for islands. Similarly, extreme hill biomes are great for me as well. The few snow hills in C are perfect, if sparse.

What I would really like to propose, and know is contentious, is that we eliminate the need for a dig. I propose we clear a large section down to bedrock. There's nothing stopping people from performing a great community dig (read: "dome"), but I think most people really want to build, and only clear space because they have to. To be aesthetically pleasing I think we should make the transition to this "shallow biome" smooth and natural with the terrain around it, albiet with a few sheer cliffs, and then have a couple layers of soil covering the bedrock.

My personal take on this is that I'm a builder, not a miner, that's why I'm on C. I like to build with a community, and frankly show off what I make, so that's why I'm not on single player. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

Thank you for the feedback MasterCommaThe, taking all of the suggestions aside that everyone has made regarding biomes and features, I think yours may be one of the most important to consider. Having a map where people can focus more on building, rather than digging.

I want to second the thoughts of MasterCommaThe. The vast majority of people build their things on a flat surface (hence the popularity of plains) and thus clear/level a large area, a time-consuming and not terribly aesthetic process. Flatlands style areas would be great for both these people and those who wish to build supertall skyscrapers.

• Upvote 2

With extreme biomes, as long as they are something that people can work with, more than they can work against, I would be interested. Do you have any suggestions along this thread?

With extreme biomes, it would be great to have mountains/ridges that are ridiculously high and possibly very deep 'fault-lines' too. Clearly, these are very difficult to build on, but I think with would make a great landscape with cities build on plains next to it. Also considering pixel art and 'redstone art', I believe they should be placed on the traditional ice layered surface on one side/corner of the map.

Edited by ZhenWan

I would like to see more naturally occurring islands. Having my own island out in the ocean, maybe within view of the mainland, is my dream build spot. I realize I could make my own, but it would probably float, simply because I don't want to have to place that many blocks that won't even get seen.

Would also like to see islands on the Creative server; hardly see many good builds on island-like landscapes ^_^

An idea I discussed with Dumbo is to include a Plateau region like the Tepui Mountains of Venezuela, The flat surfaces would make building easier, incorporating waterfalls into them is a given, and the massive cliffs could overlook a decent jungle biome.

There also appears to be a slight misconception about flat land, flat land (in my opinion) is boring, what I commonly hear new players asking is if the server has any good hills, which to my surprise on the carto, we don't! Hills are a natural part of the plains biome and isn't exactly flat but definitely easier to build on than having to clear forests.

Another biome that I believe should be replaced (with an idea similar to totemo) is the icy lakes it seems that they are instantly reserved for any pixel art and tend to be a waste of space (due to not being able to dig under them) ideally, an extremely low area would be nice to maximise the space needed for the art.

As for the distribution, I hope they can be placed in a very natural looking way, without being in the typical Minecraft sense. Stuff like combining biomes is certain ways to create interesting locations, for example, combining ocean, jungle, desert, and mountains for a tropical island or coast (with a volcano, if you want). Fjords using a bit of forests, mountains, snow, and rivers. Plains, forests, and mountains to create lush foothills. Or even something as simple as a grand desert with a lot of sand dunes.

Play around with those ideas, and glad to be of help!'

Edit: Forgot to mention. PLEASE SAVE THE SERVER FROM WATER POCKET SYNDROME.

Edited by Magnyus
  • Upvote 2

I for one am for jungle biomes if it is done right. back in REV 22 the jungles were laced with large caves on big hills with massive river valleys going through. some of the revs most impressive builds were in the jungle that rev. i would like to see less nether, mushroom, and end biome. i have yet to see anything good come from those biomes. plains are always good, just break them up a bit, but some interesting things in between. islands, rivers, lakes, ect are good. 

• Upvote 1