PvP Rankings Idea

dizney07

Hi, dizney here again with another survival server idea because I like to brainstorm ideas  :biggrin:

Most of my ideas stem off of questions I ask myself about the server. This one comes from the "Why do we have pvp rankings?" Of course the main answer is to know who's the "best" at pvp on the server, but most of the server doesn't really follow them that closely or really care. So then I brainstorm a way to increase players desire to be higher on the rankings and I've come up with this: What if the players have something in game, like on their name, that shows where they are? For example, possibly the player in first has a gold clan tag at the front of his/her name that says "1st", second has a silver one, and 3rd has a bronze one. Then the rest of the top 10 would say "Top10" in a different color. Something like this would see players more then likely want to get higher on the list to have something showing they're "better". Also it could influence an increase in pvp on the server.

What do you think? It's not really a big change, and I'm not sure if it's even possible, but I just wanted to throw this out there!

• Upvote 2

I started writing a PvP Rating system similar to ELO that would change ratings based on the gear each player was wearing (to prevent killing un-armored players) and based on each player's Rating at the time of the battle. I can go into more specifics if anyone wants, but the point is that it is in java, and would run in game, so would be able to tie into something like this. I personally like the idea.

• Upvote 2

I started writing a PvP Rating system similar to ELO that would change ratings based on the gear each player was wearing (to prevent killing un-armored players) and based on each player's Rating at the time of the battle. I can go into more specifics if anyone wants, but the point is that it is in java, and would run in game, so would be able to tie into something like this. I personally like the idea.

Is the system set only for diamond and iron, or would it be based around every armor type (such as gold/leather)? 

Is the system set only for diamond and iron, or would it be based around every armor type (such as gold/leather)? 

It actually looks at each piece of gear (and any enchants on it) to form a gear score for the player, no matter if it is leather/iron/gold/chain/diamond. Then, it takes into account the total gearscore and PvP Rating for each player, and changes ratings for both the winner and the loser. That way, even assuming same gear, if one player has a higher rating (implying they are better at PvP, not just better geared), the higher rating person wouldn't gain much from a win, while the lower rating person would gain much more (since statistically he should have lost). Total gearscore comes into play as well. Assuming equal rating, if an undergeared person wins, they will gain more points than if the overgeared person one.

If it is a tag that appears in chat, I am against it. As shown with the clan tags, having extra stuff in the chat makes it hard to read. If it is something that simply appears next to a players name in game, it could be worth looking into and might encourage more PvP

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't want to see rankings in chat either, they might seem a bit irrelevant to a new player joining (unlike clan tags since that's a widely used feature). I like the idea of redesigning the leaderboard page, both in how the rankings are calculated and how the page looks. As suggested before, I think we should take note of how other servers record player rankings and statistics - looks appealing and is very informative.

• Upvote 1

I feel it wouldn't take up as much in chat due to the fact that only 10 players would have it next to their name, differentiating from clan tags where every player has one in a different color. However I do like the idea of it appearing next to players over their name. Just something that makes rankings relevant, because from what I've seen, they're not.

I think something simple, non-colored would be nice, for example: 

(1)[insertusername] 
would be a simple way of showing ranks in chat. Just a number before someone's name would mean that it doesn't block up chat, but if someone looks for it they can find it instantly. 

Another example: 
(420)[buzzinbee] would show that buzzinbee is in 420th place on the leaderboard. 

If it is a tag that appears in chat, I am against it. As shown with the clan tags, having extra stuff in the chat makes it hard to read. If it is something that simply appears next to a players name in game, it could be worth looking into and might encourage more PvP

How does a tag before a name make chat hard to read? I didn't mind the clan tag thing, it looked like most players were using the feature when the plugin was enabled. I'd be for bringing this feature back.

I wouldn't want to see rankings in chat either, they might seem a bit irrelevant to a new player joining (unlike clan tags since that's a widely used feature). I like the idea of redesigning the leaderboard page, both in how the rankings are calculated and how the page looks. As suggested before, I think we should take note of how other servers record player rankings and statistics - looks appealing and is very informative.

What about showing rank on the [tab] player list?

Edit: Like this

yOK355N.png

Edited by unce
  • Upvote 3