Why was this thread locked without a little more discussion?

SkrapssparkS

Slide please stop taking everything as a personal attack. Calm down homeslice. I'm saying it as a broad term obviously and in no way pointing one person out. I feel that many people are never listened to. 

Well, it does feel like an attack. I mean you are literally saying that we don't let people ever ask any questions. If you don't mean that, then please be more clear otherwise it is an attack because it is in no way the truth and I will defend myself/others against an accusation like that.

Well, it does feel like an attack. I mean you are literally saying that we don't let people ever ask any questions. If you don't mean that, then please be more clear otherwise it is an attack because it is in no way the truth and I will defend myself/others against an accusation like that.

I feel like you think everything is an attack and you take things way to seriously. One of the huge issues with your attitude and the way you respond to things is you take it out of proportion. I feel like this is one of the main issues that causes these threads to get off topic and out of control. 

• Upvote 2

I feel like you think everything is an attack and you take things way to seriously. One of the huge issues with your attitude and the way you respond to things is you take it out of proportion. I feel like this is one of the main issues that causes these threads to get off topic and out of control. 

So that's your way of justifying brushing off casual accusations against staff? I hear players say they don't want to be lumped together or false accusations thrown around, neither do I. It is a serious issue.

Yes, I am defending Mrloud. Because of the following image, which is the complete opposite of a "healthy discussion" and honestly it makes me a bit sick, this seems like mob mentality and the community should be better than this.

3UJG3FX.png

Yeah, I downvoted because he closed the thread with no explanation. I like that he did explain it and I don't really care about screen caps of the admin log, figure these are trustworthy guys (you know if they're head admins and all) so in hindsight down voting was not the best way to go about it (heck I didn't know anyone would make this thread)

• Upvote 1

Anyways, Back on Topic.

Stop trying to derail the thread. D:

Unnecessarily large bold text aside, what else is there to add to the original topic? I'm genuinely curious. The OP was that players were upset that the admins closed the poll. The admins then replied stating that the reason it was closed was because it was a policy change that wasn't going to happen based on a private discussion between the admins. They went on to add that it might not have been the best idea to close the thread/poll, then suggested different discussion aimed at less radical change within the staffing system which is currently happening on an existing thread. The rest is just claims of being suppressed followed by 2 pages of bickering and a few sub topics thrown in here and there which are in themselves derailing and could be made in their own thread. 

• Upvote 2

Alright, so we have a bit of a reason why it was closed.

The current state of the poll I added to this thread:

https://nerd.nu/forums/index.php?/topic/2462-new-poll-should-mods-only-be-voted-on-and-have-powers-on-one-server/

Indicates that the community doesn't wish for any change in this area, though there are not many votes on the third question, so I would say results are inconclusive. If you haven't voted yet, please do so asap.

Also, from this point forward, I will be having polls off-site (likely on straw poll or g-docs) to prevent confusion from the rest of the community.

Stay tuned for further details.

• Upvote 1

Unnecessarily large bold text aside, what else is there to add to the original topic? I'm genuinely curious. The OP was that players were upset that the admins closed the poll. The admins then replied stating that the reason it was closed was because it was a policy change that wasn't going to happen based on a private discussion between the admins. They went on to add that it might not have been the best idea to close the thread/poll, then suggested different discussion aimed at less radical change within the staffing system which is currently happening on an existing thread. The rest is just claims of being suppressed followed by 2 pages of bickering and a few sub topics thrown in here and there which are in themselves derailing and could be made in their own thread. 

I don't think we've finished talking about whether the admin's reason for closing the thread is a good one. Is a private discussion between Hadmins all that is needed to write off a policy forever? At what points between this discussion and the final decision does community input play a role? Can players discuss alternative systems or just improvements to existing ones? This thread is continuing to raise interesting topics that are directly linked to the OP’s example and to general discussion about the extent of transparency at mcpublic. 

This is absolutely a community based servers, and we listen to the community all the time and use what it says when we are making a decision a lot more than most of you guys seem to realize. It's our job to mange policy for the servers and the policy the thread was suggesting was/is not an opinion, so t it was closed saying as much. I love hearing from you guys and the suggestions you come up with, but in this case I did not see the point in having a discussion on something that was not going to change. However, as Dumbo has pointed out even though that policy is not going to change something useful could have come from a discussion about it, and looking back I should have explained why have no intention of implementing and asked if you guys had any idea on ways to improve the process. It's too late to change what has happened now, but I think it would be a good idea to create a new thread explaining how the mod nomination process works (probably include the reasoning behind the steps) and then ask you guys for suggestions on ways to improve it.

I’d like to know why it’s too late to unlock the thread. If it was bad idea to lock it in the first place it’s a bad idea to keep it locked now.

How can we see who you’re listening to when so much of your “job” is taking place behind closed doors? The implementation of policy is enough of a workload. You can share the workload of deciding which policies to implement with the community at large. A starting point would be to move more of the conversations that are going on in private channels into public irc and mumble. It’d be even better if community polls replaced these entirely. Help us, help you help the community duuuuuude.

Also I don’t think the people who disagree with the mod nominations process need it explaining to them. They understand the steps being taken, but think there are better ones we could take. If you engage with these sorts of critics more directly you might convince them that they’re wrong or maybe they’d do the same for you.

Edited by Ridiculous
  • Upvote 4

I don't think we've finished talking about whether the admin's reason for closing the thread is a good one. Is a private discussion between Hadmins all that is needed to write off a policy forever? At what points between this discussion and the final decision does community input play a role? Can players discuss alternative systems or just improvements to existing ones? This thread is continuing to raise interesting topics that are directly linked to the OP’s example and to general discussion about the extent of transparency at mcpublic. 

I’d like to know why it’s too late to unlock the thread. If it was bad idea to lock it in the first place it’s a bad idea to keep it locked now.

How can we see who you’re listening to when so much of your “job” is taking place behind closed doors? The implementation of policy is enough of a workload. You can share the workload of deciding which policies to implement with the community at large. A starting point would be to move more of the conversations that are going on in private channels into public irc and mumble. It’d be even better if community polls replaced these entirely. Help us, help you help the community duuuuuude.

Also I don’t think the people who disagree with the mod nominations process need it explaining to them. They understand the steps being taken, but think there are better ones we could take. If you engage with these sorts of critics more directly you might convince them that they’re wrong or maybe they’d do the same for you.

I too would like to see it unlocked.  Whether or not they hadmins listen to us is another thing entirely and I, even when I was not staff always fully understood that they are the ones who try to cull our responses and make it work the best for everyone.  At times, their motives and appearance could drop off a lot, but again we are forgetting that we are a complex community full of complex people playing a simple game.  

As said before we aren't just any community, we are one who survives.  We won't disappear with the EULA like any other of the thousands of pay to play servers. Sometimes we need to look back at our roots to see how far we have evolved and also realize that everyone here is by choice, because they care for the community and the game. 

• Upvote 1

Ok well a few things have come off this thread, up vote down vote system should it be removed? I would like to say that the question of this thread has been answered by Dumbo and Mrloud, it's been made clear it was a mistake to close it, we all make them. I personally wouldn't reopen the thread as the same question has been asked in more detail in neva's other thread. I feel some of these tangent topics coming off this thread are for another thread, this one seems to have run its course I give permission for it to be closed however I will open another one bringing up the topic of up votes and down votes. Feel free to open up any other threads with your questions. Thanks for the response to my question.

• Upvote 1

Ok well a few things have come off this thread, up vote down vote system should it be removed? I would like to say that the question of this thread has been answered by Dumbo and Mrloud, it's been made clear it was a mistake to close it, we all make them. I personally wouldn't reopen the thread as the same question has been asked in more detail in neva's other thread. I feel some of these tangent topics coming off this thread are for another thread, this one seems to have run its course I give permission for it to be closed however I will open another one bringing up the topic of up votes and down votes. Feel free to open up any other threads with your questions. Thanks for the response to my question.

There is a thread about up/down vote system, I think we're waiting on a response from that, as the poll was a few weeks ago (2?)

Closing upon request

• Upvote 1