Limiting number of times a head can be placed

GMMan

It seems on C there's some overzealous use of heads, where some players may cover every square inch of their builds with their heads. While I don't really care what goes on inside builds, some of those are out in the open, and are eyesores. I would like to suggest that each head obtained by /skull have a use limit such that after 1-5 uses they will disappear, requiring the player to issue the command again if they'd like to get another head. I think this would cut down on the amount of head spam, since limiting the number of uses on a head would at least slow people down and they can't place them constantly while flying.

(Personally I don't see any reason more than two heads of the same player should be placed at once.)

GMMan, You should check out my Garden Contest submissions for (IMO) tasteful multi-use of heads, though generally I have to agree that most uses are not good.

I think what you're expressing is true of several other blocks, (e.g. "budder" and diamond), but like those blocks, I think we'd lose out more on limiting player creativity on a server that already has a low population. We could enable our cheat detection software to signal when players place skulls to more quickly detect skull spam, much like we already do with some other blocks.

• Upvote 1

I second MasterCommaThe's suggestion for having a signal for skulls (maybe, in the interest of catching spammers, have it start sending signals after 5 placements in a row or something), and I think it would be best to have that replace the old configuration of having furnaces throw up a warning; furnace spam, from what I've seen, is far out of style, and I've seen very little of it in something like a year.

• Upvote 4

MasterCommaThe's idea is good. My input on the discussion is that  we do not like restricting blocks, I think we should moderate the usage of certain blocks more instead of restrict them, being more strict on spam. Remember if you do see spammed heads please do /modreq spam for us so we can deal with it.

Just a clarification: You can place as many of the same heads as you want, but you can only place it a set number of times before you have to run the /skull command again to get a new head item, which you can then place a set number of times. You are not limited on the total number of heads placeable, just how many you can at one time using one head item. Think of it as durability on heads.

• 3 weeks later...

Does this have anything to do with the s players building on the c server?

IMO, if the build is really far from spawn, it shouldnt matter what they do inside their own land.

I think it does gsand; our builds have a lot of heads on them. I agree with gsand, if it's far from spawn, it's probably not that big of a deal.

Just a clarification: You can place as many of the same heads as you want, but you can only place it a set number of times before you have to run the /skull command again to get a new head item, which you can then place a set number of times. You are not limited on the total number of heads placeable, just how many you can at one time using one head item. Think of it as durability on heads.

Actually, upon rereading your comment, I agree with you, but, I'm not sure if this change is forwards compatible.

ie: People that download old revs to see their old builds and finding that all the heads placed in them are gone due to an unforseen mojang patch.

Actually, upon rereading your comment, I agree with you, but, I'm not sure if this change is forwards compatible.

ie: People that download old revs to see their old builds and finding that all the heads placed in them are gone due to an unforseen mojang patch.

Running current maps with heads on vanilla servers already causes all such heads to become a Steve head. My suggestion is on placing, not the way placed heads are stored on the map.