PVE lag spikes seem unusually common this rev.

Helmarok and Incapacity

We just had two big ones (no activity for up to 7 seconds) mere minutes after a restart. If you play every day, you'll encounter several of them. They seem just as common with 30 people online as they do with 140 people online.

I missed Rev 14 entirely, but my memories of Rev 13 do not include any major lag. So what's happening? Is it a Spigot thing?

This is just baffling to me and I'd feel a bit better if I knew a cause or at least a comforting hug from a tech admin.

Edited by Helmarok and Incapacity

We just had two big ones (no activity for up to 7 seconds) mere minutes after a restart. If you play every day, you'll encounter several of them. They seem just as common with 30 people online as they do with 140 people online.

I missed Rev 14 entirely, but my memories of Rev 13 do not include any major lag. So what's happening? Is it a Spigot thing?

This is just baffling to me and I'd feel a bit better if I knew a cause or at least a comforting hug from a tech admin.

Rev 14 wasn't like this. For some reason the server is having extreme issues balancing any kind of load or stress. It eventually results in either a complete server crash, or a kick of a random 50% of the players.

I used to work for an ISP and if a core router experienced a load balancing issue it would display the EXACT SAME KIND of behaviour.

• Upvote 1

Rev 14 wasn't like this. For some reason the server is having extreme issues balancing any kind of load or stress. It eventually results in either a complete server crash, or a kick of a random 50% of the players.

I used to work for an ISP and if a core router experienced a load balancing issue it would display the EXACT SAME KIND of behaviour.

Yeah I'm also confused at the massive kick of players every so often. Usually the server gets ddos attacks at the beginning of the rev, but after that usually we're good for the rest. Can an admin weigh in on this?

• Upvote 1

In the start of the rev SafeBuckets was causing frequent crashes and that is why we had to stop flowing things for awhile, and after a few days and multiple attempts to fix it it was finally resolved. Last I heard we know about the lag but were unsure what is causing it, this may of chagned though so techs please feel free to weigh in.

• Upvote 1

Knowing P...entities entities entites

Hard cull mobs, drop the limits until its playable, then slowly bring them back up until people complain about the lag, follow these steps and you have reached the mythical sweet spot

• Upvote 2

I was playing at like 4:00 AM and there were about 20 or less people on, and it was beautiful, there was no lag, even hitting a redstone button in a CARTS station seemed to work faster, then the next day when like 80 people are on there are HUGE lag spikes and so on, until the player count slowly drops down to 20 people on, then there is no more lag and everything is running nice and smooth again, and the process repeats itself over and over again.

That is just what i've noticed, and yes the massive lag spikes during peak hours are annoying. I have about a 50ms connection to the server over a 60 megabit internet connection so it's not my internet I can tell you that

What is really annoying is when the server just kicks about 50% of all people on, it floods chat with disconnect and join messages. This only happens when there is a large amount of people on, it never seems to drop my connection though

Edited by coolgamerovr90

I used to work for an ISP and if a core router experienced a load balancing issue it would display the EXACT SAME KIND of behavior.

If that's whats going on then the admins will have to contact the server host and resolve it there, but there is a very good chance this is what could be happening

The disconnect messages usually say something like "a connection was forcibly closed by the remote host" and "java.net.connectionexception"

Edited by coolgamerovr90

I was playing at like 4:00 AM and there were about 20 or less people on, and it was beautiful, there was no lag, even hitting a redstone button in a CARTS station seemed to work faster, then the next day when like 80 people are on there are HUGE lag spikes and so on, until the player count slowly drops down to 20 people on, then there is no more lag and everything is running nice and smooth again, and the process repeats itself over and over again.

That is just what i've noticed, and yes the massive lag spikes during peak hours are annoying. I have about a 50ms connection to the server over a 60 megabit internet connection so it's not my internet I can tell you that

What is really annoying is when the server just kicks about 50% of all people on, it floods chat with disconnect and join messages. This only happens when there is a large amount of people on, it never seems to drop my connection though

The catch here is that there's no reason to assume that the player count is actually responsible. With more players comes more of everything else that can lag or crash the server: more mobs, more items, more entities, more block edits...

• Upvote 1

The catch here is that there's no reason to assume that the player count is actually responsible. With more players comes more of everything else that can lag or crash the server: more mobs, more items, more entities, more block edits...

Precisely. It has always been known that our performance gets iffy once it hits a certain amount of players - this number has changed as our hardware and plugins have.

But now we're seeing this stuff when the server is nearly dead at 4am. I don't get it.

• Upvote 1

It's especially enigmatic because a lot of the explanations can't account for everything.

For instance, UNP brought up the possibility of network issues. This would certainly account for the disconnects and general lag, but not things like mob spawning issues or actual server crashes.

• Upvote 1

This is going to sound really old school to any MC server admin but minecraft does tell you when it's having a hard time doing something, in the server console it will look like 

[18:16:59] [server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 41418ms behind, skipping 828 tick(s)

If a techadmin can confirm the server running P is throwing that message a lot then it is the server hardware not being able to keep up with what is going on in game

This is going to sound really old school to any MC server admin but minecraft does tell you when it's having a hard time doing something, in the server console it will look like 

[18:16:59] [server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 41418ms behind, skipping 828 tick(s)

If a techadmin can confirm the server running P is throwing that message a lot then it is the server hardware not being able to keep up with what is going on in game

Yes but the reason the hardware can't keep up could be a variety of reasons. Such as runaway skeleton grinder with 1000 skeletons, or a plugin has a memory leak and is eating up all the RAM. There is a ton of different things that could be happening that could cause that error.

• Upvote 2

Yes but the reason the hardware can't keep up could be a variety of reasons. Such as runaway skeleton grinder with 1000 skeletons, or a plugin has a memory leak and is eating up all the RAM. There is a ton of different things that could be happening that could cause that error.

So figure out what it is and fix it. Just because it "could be a variety of reasons" doesn't mean you just throw your hands up and go "well, guess the server's gonna be an unstable piece of crap for the forseeable future".

So figure out what it is and fix it. Just because it "could be a variety of reasons" doesn't mean you just throw your hands up and go "well, guess the server's gonna be an unstable piece of crap for the forseeable future".

What do you think we have been trying to do? Nothing? Just because no tech responds to this thread doesn't mean the issue isn't being worked on. Debugging things is difficult and takes time we can't provide instant answers.

• Upvote 2

In the real world, with so many outside influences you do have to live with some imperfections in and out of your control. Would you like to help in telling these qualified tech admins how to find some problems in ways they might not know of?