Post your ideas here (Creative mostly)

buzzinbee

I really like the idea of rewarding winners with steam codes, as long as someone is willing to actually spend money for these and not expect any return. Part of the reason why running events for the creative server is difficult is because it's hard to reward players in game when they have access to unlimited items.

I'd agree with Steam code awards, as long as they're specified as to what they are.

Perhaps we could even have display cabinets in the judging stand, with named items inside Item Frames allowing players to actually see what there is.

Or we could use signs, but they wouldn't work as well.

Only obvious problems are finding someone who'll actually get the Steam codes.

• 1 month later...

Dear creative admins

Command blocks should be added. Now I know how most of you feel about them being misused and used for griefing but I have an idea that might work. Command blocks can only be changed or "commanded" by an op, so what if we had a ./modreq that went something like this.

1) do a /modreq command block

2)place a sign where you want the command block and on the sign put the command you want.

3) for a mod/admin to place the command block the space has to be owned by you so the region around you (world guard) has to be so only you can build on it.

4) once the mod/admin has placed the command block it can't be changed by the user as only ops can change it.

5) also the mod/admin can judge whether it is a good idea to use that command.

***you might also want to the player to give a reason for a command block***

This was an idea I had and I'm sure that we as builders on the creative server would love to use command blocks as they are used in most great redstone mini games or contraptions.

Please give me your feedback as I would like to know what your thoughts are.

This would enable things such as remote-controlled devices...giant MacGuiver machine anyone?

Only problem is that being able to set commands would more or less give the editor the powers of an op, due to the powers of a command block...I haven't seen any plugins that really limit them enough. But, perhaps if it was just a really occasional thing done by the staff heads for special projects that really need a command block, this could be done.

I kinda believe that Command Blocks would take away the novelty of Redstone builds. It'd also make Redstone far less useful. 
Don't get me wrong, this is a good idea with a good intent, but Command Blocks are incredibly OP. 
As far as I know, most things that are achievable via Redstone are also achievable via a quick Google search and a CTRL+V, when Command Blocks are brought in.

I guess I don't have too many arguments against this despite being a fairly strong "no" on it, apart from raising that Redstone builds will no longer be required. 

If it were to be brought in, I'd like to see a strict approval system for it - only allowing Command Blocks to do things that Redstone can't without intensive effort / things that Redstone can't do altogether. By intensive effort, I actually mean intensive effort. If it gets to the point where people use them to make simple clocks, I'd be a very strong no. Otherwise, I'm okay with it under the circumstances I've written.

To be honest, I'm interested in the idea of command blocks as well.  It's true that they can imitate a lot of redstone functions, but there are a lot of Command Block functions that redstone cannot imitate in return.  Such functions can enhance interactivity and ambiance, and I think C could perhaps use a little of that kind of enhancement of the server experience.  I also think it would be best, however, if Command Block use around the map were infrequent, an exception rather than the rule.

Obviously, strict controls would be needed.  One bad or exploited command block can send the whole server to crap instantly.  My initial thoughts about how to perhaps keep command blocks from catastrophe;

• Command blocks can only be placed/edited by Admins (maybe even only relevant Server Admins or only Tech Admins).
  • No modreq for a Command Block to be placed/edited is ever guaranteed, no matter how big/famous your build is.  Any Command Block request can be refused for any reason.  Unreasonable/frivolous requests may result in disciplinary action for needlessly spamming the modreq queue.
  • All Command Blocks must be protected by a region inaccessible to even the build owner; don't ask for it unless you're finished building in that area.
  • Requests for Command Blocks must contain the exact command you wish implemented and the exact location it is to be placed.  If the command is too long to fit into an in-game modreq, the modreq must direct the Admins to (insert method here; not sure what would be best on this one.  Forum msg?  /mail?  Written books?).  If the command is constructed incorrectly, it is not the Admins' responsibility to debug it; the player must revise the command and make a new modreq.
  • If a Command Block does not perform the intended function, a new modreq must be placed to have it edited, with the revised command included or referenced in (method above).
  • Any abuse of/attempt to abuse Command Blocks, your own or anyone else's, will result in a lengthy ban.  Abuse can include attempts to lag the server, lag players' clients, activate Command Blocks in a method or to a frequency not originally intended, maliciously use non-default-player functions, or deceive Admins into placing/editing a Command Block that would have abusive function.
  • Certain commands will never be approved.  These include moderation commands (/mute, /kick, /ban, /vanish, etc.), commands that include @a parameters (which affect all players), and WorldEdit commands.  Requesting such commands may be considered frivolous.
  • Only one Command Block can be requested at a time.  Devices requiring multiple Command Blocks must have each one requested seperately.

Dang, that felt Draconian to write.  But even though I like the idea of Command Blocks, they have ridiculous potential for abuse.  Such situations have to be headed off in advance rather than cleaned up afterwards.

• Upvote 1

I agree 

To be honest, I'm interested in the idea of command blocks as well.  It's true that they can imitate a lot of redstone functions, but there are a lot of Command Block functions that redstone cannot imitate in return.  Such functions can enhance interactivity and ambiance, and I think C could perhaps use a little of that kind of enhancement of the server experience.  I also think it would be best, however, if Command Block use around the map were infrequent, an exception rather than the rule.

Obviously, strict controls would be needed.  One bad or exploited command block can send the whole server to crap instantly.  My initial thoughts about how to perhaps keep command blocks from catastrophe;

• Command blocks can only be placed/edited by Admins (maybe even only relevant Server Admins or only Tech Admins).
  • No modreq for a Command Block to be placed/edited is ever guaranteed, no matter how big/famous your build is.  Any Command Block request can be refused for any reason.  Unreasonable/frivolous requests may result in disciplinary action for needlessly spamming the modreq queue.
  • All Command Blocks must be protected by a region inaccessible to even the build owner; don't ask for it unless you're finished building in that area.
  • Requests for Command Blocks must contain the exact command you wish implemented and the exact location it is to be placed.  If the command is too long to fit into an in-game modreq, the modreq must direct the Admins to (insert method here; not sure what would be best on this one.  Forum msg?  /mail?  Written books?).  If the command is constructed incorrectly, it is not the Admins' responsibility to debug it; the player must revise the command and make a new modreq.
  • If a Command Block does not perform the intended function, a new modreq must be placed to have it edited, with the revised command included or referenced in (method above).
  • Any abuse of/attempt to abuse Command Blocks, your own or anyone else's, will result in a lengthy ban.  Abuse can include attempts to lag the server, lag players' clients, activate Command Blocks in a method or to a frequency not originally intended, maliciously use non-default-player functions, or deceive Admins into placing/editing a Command Block that would have abusive function.
  • Certain commands will never be approved.  These include moderation commands (/mute, /kick, /ban, /vanish, etc.), commands that include @a parameters (which affect all players), and WorldEdit commands.  Requesting such commands may be considered frivolous.
  • Only one Command Block can be requested at a time.  Devices requiring multiple Command Blocks must have each one requested seperately.

Dang, that felt Draconian to write.  But even though I like the idea of Command Blocks, they have ridiculous potential for abuse.  Such situations have to be headed off in advance rather than cleaned up afterwards.

Maybe we could have a district that people could use command blocks and you would have to warp into there so people can't just stroll in

• 1 month later...

What do you think of adding more /kit loadouts? Flowers; glass; panes; a few for each wood and brick type and their slabs and stairs; an accessories one for chests, anvils, paintings, and such. A mushroom kit with all the different mushroom parts for custom mushrooms. Its introduction could be celebrated with a speed building contest. However would this sort of thing be able to be abused and cause server lag, with too much /kit use?

Edited by plasticflesh
  • Upvote 2

This has been said before and can easily be implemented in coming revisions, world edit plots. Small plots that could allow for world edit would bring a lot of new possibilities to creative building and could have the potential to attract players because it is not widely used on creative servers. Take the lobby contest as an example, regulated plots obtained via modreq where world guards would prevent world edit beyond your plot area. It could be one of the many ways to make C.nerd.nu unique to rival creative servers.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see a separate area designed for P players who come over to C to test things. Currently we're just grabbing some area and putting our weird experiments up and leaving them there. I know lots of C players don't really mind, but I kinda feel like I'm littering. A separate area in C where we're free to run amok testing our things without ruining the landscape for others.

I would love to see a separate area designed for P players who come over to C to test things. Currently we're just grabbing some area and putting our weird experiments up and leaving them there. I know lots of C players don't really mind, but I kinda feel like I'm littering. A separate area in C where we're free to run amok testing our things without ruining the landscape for others.

P designs aren't bad for creative, we don't get pissy with builds unless they are deliberately bad eg sponge diamond and glowstone piles of random block placement. Really if you feel your build isn't looking nice or you think it looks out of place just try to make it look a little nicer eg add a garden around it something that doesn't have to be put into P but something to make it look nicer on creative.  

• Upvote 3

P designs aren't bad for creative, we don't get pissy with builds unless they are deliberately bad eg sponge diamond and glowstone piles of random block placement. Really if you feel your build isn't looking nice or you think it looks out of place just try to make it look a little nicer eg add a garden around it something that doesn't have to be put into P but something to make it look nicer on creative.  

I think you're misunderstanding me. We're testing things, meaning they're usually not complete things. Also it's not always builds.

Creative players also make half finished builds. Pico, and many independent players like myself, have been using C for this purpose for years. I haven't heard anything bad about that, mostly because we're making PvE-plausible builds which are extremely finishable, or scaled-down builds/plans.

• Upvote 1

Creative players also make half finished builds. Pico, and many independent players like myself, have been using C for this purpose for years. I haven't heard anything bad about that, mostly because we're making PvE-plausible builds which are extremely finishable, or scaled-down builds/plans.

I'm perfectly fine with PvE players designing towns on Creative, but I don't like/wouldn't want to see it get to the point where Creative seems to be primarily used for PvE builds - whether that's caused by low count of builds by Creative players or PvE players claiming a dickload of the map. Otherwise, no-one really has a problem with it. 

The main thing I want to stress in this regard is that I don't want PvE players to be taking up more of the map than the Creative players themselves are, as that isn't the real purpose of Creative and has frustrated a few players in a couple of past revisions. 

The main thing I want to stress in this regard is that I don't want PvE players to be taking up more of the map than the Creative players themselves are, as that isn't the real purpose of Creative and has frustrated a few players in a couple of past revisions. 

Although I agree that I wouldn't like to see the PvE player base taking over the other 2 servers, it's not the fault of the PvE players if they use C more than the C players. We shouldn't restrict server access to only C players, we just need to get more C players to play on the servers more. C.nerd.nu is a server for building whatever you like; test builds, redstone creations, massive castles etc. I'd like to see some plot areas so that those that want to test build can do so quickly and conveniently instead of having to find good land/making a platform for the build, but apart from that I see no issue with any of the test builds that appear.

looking at finished maps just before the reset there is still plenty of space left on the maps, I don't mind if P players build on creative I think what EeHee might have been trying to say was that we don't want creative to become ptest.nerd.nu it is still a creative server which should focus on expanding as one instead of focusing on accommodating itself to be design server solely made for testing. 

• Upvote 1

looking at finished maps just before the reset there is still plenty of space left on the maps, I don't mind if P players build on creative I think what EeHee might have been trying to say was that we don't want creative to become ptest.nerd.nu it is still a creative server which should focus on expanding as one instead of focusing on accommodating itself to be design server solely made for testing. 

Exactly what I meant, ja. 

• 2 weeks later...

Although I agree that I wouldn't like to see the PvE player base taking over the other 2 servers, it's not the fault of the PvE players if they use C more than the C players. We shouldn't restrict server access to only C players, we just need to get more C players to play on the servers more. C.nerd.nu is a server for building whatever you like; test builds, redstone creations, massive castles etc. I'd like to see some plot areas so that those that want to test build can do so quickly and conveniently instead of having to find good land/making a platform for the build, but apart from that I see no issue with any of the test builds that appear.

As someone who has played C for a long time, i can accurately say this: If you create any kind of plot system, it will confuse the hell out of people, and in some cases, make people instantly leave the server. For example, someone logs on looking for the open build creative server they have been told C was, and the first thing that person sees is plots. 80% of players would just log off at that point, not bothered to fly around or modreq a plot. Its way easier to fly or use /randlock to find a flat piece of land and build away.

I'm perfectly fine with PvE players designing towns on Creative, but I don't like/wouldn't want to see it get to the point where Creative seems to be primarily used for PvE builds - whether that's caused by low count of builds by Creative players or PvE players claiming a dickload of the map. Otherwise, no-one really has a problem with it. 

I dont think the 7ish "P players" are going to steal all of C...the maps are the same size and the 30 people on P still have lots of room to move around.

As someone who has played C for a long time, i can accurately say this: If you create any kind of plot system, it will confuse the hell out of people, and in some cases, make people instantly leave the server. For example, someone logs on looking for the open build creative server they have been told C was, and the first thing that person sees is plots. 80% of players would just log off at that point, not bothered to fly around or modreq a plot. Its way easier to fly or use /randlock to find a flat piece of land and build away.

I totally disagree with what you've said. If you make it clear that there is open land as well as plots, there is no way that people will get confused, they'll only be leaving because they don't want to stay. Have big, bold, pink, flashing letters when you join screaming the commands at you to get to either plots or open land. 

someone logs on looking for the open build creative server they have been told C was, and the first thing that person sees is plots.

Firstly, there's no way people would know about our server since we barely advertise apart from the occasional post on /r/mcservers, but if we did then don't advertise it as an open build server alone, say "open build and plot server". There is no way that players can get confused by this. The logical thing to do would be to have plots near spawn since people who just want to build something quickly won't hang around, but if that really is so confusing then don't have them at spawn, but have several warp signs and a command at spawn for instant travel.

• Upvote 3

Well Zom, as you may remember from past revisions, players from P or S have in the past claimed a semi-large area for testing build designs, redstone devices, all sorts of things. They claim these areas on their own, as it should be. To create an area specifically for a group of people to use, with minor exceptions, would show favoritism to that group from the people who create the map (Exceptions such as the Redstone Towers idea or the Pixel Art warp were created with the sole purposes of minimizing incredibly spammy creations for the rest of the map). With the P/S Island player-owned/claimed areas, the only real issue becomes one of space over time. From what I've observed with Island areas in the past, P/S players generally prefer to use the area they're familiar with, as they know how to get to it easily etc etc. Eventually, the space becomes filled with wall variation ideas, or half-finished mansions, or redstone devices, or any number of other things. There are two solutions at that point: to clean up the player-owned area (of their own volition (never seen this done)) or to expand outwards. On the next revision, or even on the current one, why don't you take up the initiative to create an area for P players to use? Find a valley, or build a large fence, something along those lines. As time goes on, pop in to check on the area, make sure there's enough room, check with players if they still need the space, etc etc. This isn't to say that anyone can't build wherever they like, but bringing back a player-run/created Island area would be a nice idea.

I agree with ROCKONN, however so far test builds for pve have looked very good, if your tests are so awful they are considered spam, honestly unless you are test building a turd made out of redstone ore and many different colours of wool I don't see how you could do it. But if you are worried about how your tests look take a little extra time to make them look nice. Yes they are tests but it doesn't mean you shouldn't have any pride in them. But yeah in general areas are claimed by players at the start of the revision so long as you use the space then you can claim away.

Although I agree that I wouldn't like to see the PvE player base taking over the other 2 servers, it's not the fault of the PvE players if they use C more than the C players. We shouldn't restrict server access to only C players, we just need to get more C players to play on the servers more.

I completely agree, I think we should have a brainstorm or even a mumble meeting to discuss possible ways to advertise creative. We have tried many in the past so some new suggestions would be good. I know this is over said and hasn't really worked in the past but we could make use of the youtube channel a lot more. We never used to give all admins access to the youtube, I am not sure if this has happened or not, however I think a weekly video for each server would be a good way forward, It's not like we have no subscribers. I am sure someone on each server will have recording software and be willing to make a blog or something for the server each week? I would imagine we could get around the low player count issue if we just put our heads together.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Could we get personalized kits on creative? e.g. you set up an inventory full of potions and pvp equipment that is enchanted, it'd be a lot easier to do something like /savekit pvp or /savekit [name] instead of having to remake that kit every single time you die in a pvp fight.

Why don't we enable mobs on creative? we already have a few that are on the map and people like them, we could limit them to a certain number per area that would prevent lag. Admittedly they are not really very useful but people like them and so if it makes people like the server more why not give it a try?