An Event Idea I Had

buchanman

To begin with, the idea first came into my head while I was half-asleep, so the details are lacking, so I hope I can gain some feedback and ideas from posting this here. The initial plan I had was to have a giant Death Star-looking build that fills an entire standard event map (1500x1500) and have players try to get to the center of the death star and blow it up. It isn't easy to blow it up: You need to have several points captured before moving your team closer to the center. However, 1). The building project will take forever, and 2). Immense planning and testing will need to go down. Because this idea didn't seem possible, I came up with a new one:

Space Exploration Event

Map Size: My plan is to have a large void map (2000x2000). Because this is space, we need to have space bases! The plan is to have four large bases (possibly a sphere with the diameter of about 140) at either the corners of the map, or towards the middle in the 1000x1000 region. The space bases can be multi-layered or open spaced, depending on how you guys want it. This enables players to farm and build buildings inside the space base. 

Special Feature: This is space, right? Why not let players explore the unknown? I plan to have a room with a sign that says something like, "Click to exit the base". The sign will teleport the player right outside the Space Base on a platform. Here's the fun part: Upon clicking the sign, the player gets a Jump Boost II effect (and possibly other potion effects like Speed I). Because you need to have platforms to jump onto, the space I imagine will be rich with small satellites, moons, and/or meteors. I planned to have some of these platforms have chests that players can take useful loot from (A suggestion by Mrgauthier34: Have the meteors be rich with ores so players can mine). Also, space has no air, players need to have a helmet to survive. It would probably be best if a player wears a helmet before exiting the Space Base or they slowly suffocate to death (Several ideas here: The helmets can be colored glass, and the colors can represent the teams- if that's even possible).

• On the sattelites, moons or meteors, there can be some useful resource found in the normal Minecraft terrain, like Sugarcane, gravel, grass, water, lava, nether wart, soul sand, spawners, etc.

Classes (Optional, all players can spawn with nothing):

Because mini games are fun with classes. 

Miner:

Spawn with: Stone sword, Stone Pickaxe, Helmet (So they can mine from meteors).

Soldier: 

Spawn with: Iron sword, Iron chest and leather legs.

Farmer:

Spawn with: 32 Seeds, 10 bone, assortment of other food.

Objective:

Currently, I have no objective. I know that I want to have 4 teams with different colors. However, this is just a survival in space, so I think having an objective would be fun. 

Buff Towers: Just like the last CTF, there were towers with different buffs. Perhaps this can be implemented in a unique way?

Nexus: Some servers have a mini game where you need to destroy the core/nexus/wither that is hidden inside each team's base. We can probably have a dragon egg/unique Minecraft block that players need to capture or mine to damage the enemy teams. 

Space Traders: We can have a setup where players can purchase items from villagers (either inside the Base or somewhere hidden in space) that gives the players items, like helmets, armor, food, potions. 

Questions:

1. Is any of this even possible?

-Is there a way to randomly spawn in different satellites/moons/meteors around the map? Do we have to build it all?

2. Is this balanced well?

3. Can teams enter other Space Bases?

4. Can teams destroy other Space Bases?

5. What do think of having classes?

Suggestions:

Please leave suggestions and/or opinions below. 

• Upvote 3

Sounds really cool!  All that you've mentioned so far seems technically feasible (though my knowledge of bukkit is a bit limited :S).  Perhaps set the entire map biome to Sky (the End's biome) to keep the sky dark? Or just freeze the server time to night for the stars :D

Using the Nexus idea I was thinking why not have  life support as the goal to destroy. It could have its own room in every teams  spawn space station. If you break the other teams life support it causes the air to turn into what is it like outside the space stations making you lose air and start to suffocate. As for what block could be represented as life support I'm not sure of that yet but maybe not even a block maybe a mob with some potion buffs making it harder to kill. 

@EventHandler
public void onBlockBreak(BlockBreakEvent e)
{
    if (e.getBlock().getLocation().compareTo(this.getConfig().get("loc.one.lifesupport")) == 0)
    {
        //if team one's lifesupport block is broken, slowly and sadistically kill team one...
        //with WITHER >:D
        addPotionEffectToTeam(PotionEffectType.WITHER, "team.one");
    }
}

(I haven't checked this code to see if it works btw :D)

Using the Nexus idea I was thinking why not have  life support as the goal to destroy. It could have its own room in every teams  spawn space station. If you break the other teams life support it causes the air to turn into what is it like outside the space stations making you lose air and start to suffocate. As for what block could be represented as life support I'm not sure of that yet but maybe not even a block maybe a mob with some potion buffs making it harder to kill. 

Maybe an obsidian cube. Once the whole (say 3x3x3) cube is gone, then it is destroyed.

I initially wanted this to be a full 24 hour+ event, so maybe a 3x3x3 obsidian block can be broken in the first hour, as Mrgauthier said. To make the event last much longer, possibly have a block/mob that represents the nexus/oxygen tank with the ability to regenerate durability/health.

I initially wanted this to be a full 24 hour+ event, so maybe a 3x3x3 obsidian block can be broken in the first hour, as Mrgauthier said. To make the event last much longer, possibly have a block/mob that represents the nexus/oxygen tank with the ability to regenerate durability/health.

Well, if it is PvP, and you spawn near your own area, it makes it hard to break a whole 3x3x3 cube before people respawn and come kill you.

Well, if it is PvP, and you spawn near your own area, it makes it hard to break a whole 3x3x3 cube before people respawn and come kill you.

I played a mini game once where two teams were fighting each other to protect their obsidian cores of about the same size. Rounds weren't too long, maybe 10 to 15 minutes? Definitely wouldn't last 24 hours without changes.

Or have a point system where once the "nexus" is leaked, the players inside the leaked space base need to 1. Repair  or 2. Wait it out (about 5-10 min) until a new nexus appears. Maybe the teams get points for leaking an enemy nexus?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

i found this plugin which could be set up to give flying (via "jetpacks"?) to anyone out in "space" http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/worldguard-fly-flag/

we could create regions for each asteroid or ship in which flying is disabled, to simulate gravity. We can use this one http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/worldguard-region-effects/ to create jump boost effects on smaller gravitational bodies.

We could also use easy-signs or possibly command blocks to enable "transporter" like technologies. (I'm picturing a traditional transporter room with pads and a console with levers, a transporter chief flips the lever. http://imgur.com/a/xTlMm (edit: just realized there's a mildly nsfw image in there :/ ))

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

This plugin could be used to create gravity fields to pull players up toward larger objects from below - though I am not certain if there is a way to also invert their view: http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/lasagnes-flags/

Both these plugins you have suggested look like they would work great for this sort of event. I'm all for the command block idea too, seems essential for a space type event!

I know buchanman created a prototype map for this event, but I don't beleive it was completed. He used an end world, made a large spaceship hull, and a variety of asteroids. I do believe it could be a fun environment for a game, but it would need to have the basic gameplay mechanics figured out before we could do much more on it.

edit: I've got access to the map, but it would be good if we heard from buchanman before doing too much with this, since it's his idea and the map that exists is his work.

Edited by Mumberthrax
map