Nerd.nu Outside of Minecraft

Magnyus

Nerd.nu Outside of Minecraft  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Nerd's community more organised outside of Minecraft?

• Yes, It'd be nice to have a better means of playing with others.
    • No, Nerd should just stick to Minecraft.
    • Other (please elaborate in the comments)
    • I don't really care.

An idea a few of us have had for a while and d3north's post on the subreddit, inspired me to start a discussion on this.

It's quite apparent that a few members of the community are steadily growing more bored of Minecraft, and have moved on to playing other games. Games like, Rust, League of Legends, Garry's Mod, Team Fortress 2, etc. But we do not have a concrete system with which we can organise ourselves. The Steam Group does exist but it isn't moderated and doesn't even appear to be even be used.

It would be very convenient to add a subforum specifically for gaming, but I can see there being a few issues since this forum site is dedicated to the Minecraft servers.

I see a lot of potential in the Steam Group to notify players of events or what games are being played, but without someone to organise and moderate that, it's never going to get used.

It'd also be nice for players who have in-game groups to notify the steam page, so others can easily find out who to contact about joining.

If anyone has any other idea, please help out and contribute to the discussion.

Edited by Magnyus
  • Upvote 4

This sounds like a great idea for players who have grown bored of Minecraft and don't check the subreddit or forums often, but still want to be involved with the community. Even though I don't play any games besides Minecraft, it would still be really nice to see more veteran/old players returning for server events.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of it is finding other members of our community who have similar gaming habits as yourself. thats what brought us all to nerd.nu in the first place. while Minecraft isn't going anywhere, many people are getting bored of it. we have built up a very nice community, and keeping the connections in house in other games would be fantastic.

A gaming sub-forum with threads for different games would help draw people together. we could get the steam group a bit more organized, have set events and much more.

• Upvote 3

Its not that we've grown bored, its a way to introduce new people to the server. These people you play Garrys Mod with? They built a castle half a kilometer square. These you survive with in Rust? They hollowed a mountain and slay dragons, too. But with no focus on the nonMC areas, the people browsing for a server will never even see us from the Steam angle.

• Upvote 5

I think nerd should do something with its current Steam group. We've never done any full-blown community gaming on anything except Minecraft. Why don't we get together for a match of something? I feel that if we gamed outside of Minecraft,, the community could become much tighter packed. Pkaying other games could introduce nerdians to eachother and forge a few new friendships. I'd really love to see this happen sometime.

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 2

I like this idea, having a better way to communicate who is doing what and when, would be awesome. Having someone like a community leader or leaders would be beneficial to players like me who have heard about TTT and other events nonMC, but who have no idea who to talk to or where to go. Also it would be nice to have some other options when we have a slow time thinking of something to do on the servers.

I do have a thought that it would distract from the servers themselves, but maybe having more avenues for the same people to play different games would increase our player base as a whole. Maybe it would bring older players back and newer players forward? allowing everyone to mingle in a different medium than "blocks" 

Bumping for admins to give some word on this.

I've been out of town since last Friday, but I have admin access to that steam group (which I didn't resize until I looked it up on my phone). I'm going to look into what all I can do with it, and may try to get it up and running again.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to say that other community things don't have to be organised by the staff of nerd, it can be done by anyone. Andrew and EeHee set up a DJ channel thingy which seems to be getting quite a bit of attention. It's a nice place to chill and explore different music tastes. I don't game too much on PC so I'm fairly neutral on organising events outside of minecraft, but I really enjoy this DJ channel!

• Upvote 1

Other community things don't have to be organised by the staff of nerd, it can be done by anyone.

I'm well aware of that Torn, my particular goal is seeing something come out of the Steam group though, and unfortunately, that is under the control of Nerd's staff.

• Upvote 1

Bump for Denevien to follow-up.

We are still working on getting the perms changed around a bit, but policy of it has been discussed. On the group on steam, there is a discussions area that we will use to post when we will be playing games. When people get together to play, they can poke one of the staff who is on steam to make an announcement that anyone in the group will see in a small pop up window (similar to when friends log on and off) announcing there are people playing the game currently. Also, if a mumble channel needs to be made for those playing the game, again feel free to poke any staff that are on mumble. We will not be using the built in event stuff, because it pops up a window that has to be clicked to make it go away, and that can quickly get annoying for players. The announcement just pops a notification that quickly goes away.