Renewing our relationship with r/minecraft

barneygale

I have a feeling a lot of players join from r/minecraft, as we're linked in their sidebar.

There used to be much tighter integration between the two subreddit, which has faded a lot over the years. For example, our events used to command a "sticky" at the top of the subreddit for the entire duration - now we just get a flair on the post we submit, which tends to not get very much exposure at all. Our mumble server, for a long time, was actually the official r/minecraft mumble (not r/mcpublic), but this is gone now too.

It seems like the relationship is an obvious way to promote the servers. Any server can submit to server lists or run reddit ads, but no other server has a bunch of old moderators/admins staffing r/minecraft who might be willing to reverse the trend of independence to some extent.

Perhaps we could hold an event or competition that's run jointly under the r/mcpublic and r/minecraft names?

Just an idea

• Upvote 3

I was not aware of that, unless you're referring to Junction. In that case I believe the only connection is mynameisperl, who (afaik) has never been a mod on both at the same time.

As a little history lesson (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the story is as follows:

* allnaturalx created r/minecraft as the official subreddit for the minecraft server he'd thrown up. Minecraft was very very new back then, and the following on reddit was mostly in r/webgames.

* people used r/minecraft for discussing the server and minecraft in general. at this point there weren't many permanent public servers to choose from, so the there isn't much of a distinction.

* as minecraft servers took off, people gradually wanted to discuss minecraft in general, without hearing about a server they don't play on

* the r/minecraft staff (i.e. our staff) founded r/mcpublic for discussion of the servers (r/minecraft's servers), hence our name "Official Reddit Minecraft Servers" (where "Reddit Minecraft" = r/minecraft)

* the staff lists gradually began to diverge. When I joined (early 2011) they were still close - skuld and alco were both r/minecraft moderators and nerd head admins.

* as both r/minecraft and r/mcpublic were very popular, no-one particularly cared

* nat basically abandoned r/minecraft and quit active involvement in MCPublic, but remained top mod on r/minecraft (he still is)

* after months of inactivity, nat changed the r/minecraft css to advertise something we were doing

* a while later, the drama gets made public in r/redditrequest (iirc)

* around ~2012 we no longer have any admins there.

* around ~2013 we no longer have any active mods there. The server IP is no longer in the sidebar, and the mumble server gets removed.

* around ~2014 I think we don't share any mods, right?

It's not something that's irreversible though - I think there's good will left on the mod team there, as most are former mods/admins. Lately r/minecraft has developed as a community in itself (much like it was in the very early days). A community that distinct running its own minecraft servers and actually being involved in it, providing events for r/minecraft players, would make a lot of sense. It has potential wins for both sides.

• Upvote 2

While I'm all for this server, I don't really see why /r/minecraft should stick its neck out for us. They are the subreddit for general minecraft, and to be honest I don't really see why they should specifically recommend us. Sure we still call ourselves the "official reddit minecraft servers," but really how true is that anymore?

• Upvote 5

While I'm all for this server, I don't really see why /r/minecraft should stick its neck out for us. They are the subreddit for general minecraft, and to be honest I don't really see why they should specifically recommend us. Sure we still call ourselves the "official reddit minecraft servers," but really how true is that anymore?

Yeah, if we provided more content for them, I would see the connection, but really, both communities have diverged greatly. Joining both communities again would cause a lot of drama considering their no-advertising rule. It would make them look like hypocrites to their community. For this reason, I don't see any benefit for them allowing the nerd.nu servers back into their ecosystem without tarnishing their reputation.

-gsand

;D

Edited by gsand
  • Upvote 4

Because /r/Minecraft was *our* subreddit a long time ago, before we moved to /r/mcpublic so it could be used for general Minecraft submissions. We could have held onto it...