[PMC] Fundraiser #1! CTF!

SwitchViewz

Guest Former Staff

I believe THE OLYMPIAD (obstacle race) is done. rhe only part I don't have is prizes, right now prizes are an empty chest that unlocks when the winner goes into the room, do we have something to put in there? I have no idea what to do with that last piece, help?

One thought I had was to use easy sign to award prizes so that people couldn't get them more than once and the lock will still work. I just need ideas for prizes since I'm clueless.

I don't have too much to suggest for each prize package but I do like the easy sign idea for giving prizes as this ties into an issue that I came across while running your course.

The issue I experienced was here:

gawK3sTh.png

There are no minecarts. One solution for this that I have created and left there as an example is a sign that gives people a minecart:

oTZNpYYh.png

tVxfLmfh.png

While this helps people to gain a minecart (and possibly having one of these signs behind each of the four rail lines), people could gain many minecarts by clicking this button multiple times. There is an easy sign minecart feature for placing a minecart at a location but I could see someone spamming the button on other tracks to slow their competitors down. The best solution I came up with was to completely close off the winner rooms so that there is an entry only, no exit. The exit signpost would then remove all minecarts from their inventory, teleport them to the central lobby and/or give them their winners items. How does this sound?

there is a minecart sign...on th black block. obviously you didn't look hard enough ;) doesn't matter how many carts they take really, as long as they get through. i don't want it obvious where they should go. if they put too many carts on the track they won't make it through the doorway which is their own fault and they'll lose valuable time in the maze :)

*sneaky*

Guest Former Staff

there is a minecart sign...on th black block. obviously you didn't look hard enough ;) doesn't matter how many carts they take really, as long as they get through. i don't want it obvious where they should go. if they put too many carts on the track they won't make it through the doorway which is their own fault and they'll lose valuable time in the maze :)

*sneaky*

Sorry, I should have looked harder! My concern, however unlikely for the minecarts is that someone familiar with the course could gather an inventory full and then make their way back to their team base to gain these free items.

Guest Former Staff
Let's all make some progress over this weekend and keep this topic updated with any snippets of your work. By the end of Sunday (sunny UK time), I'll be looking to find out exactly what everyone needs from their builds, whether it's time, help or something else. Should we have any tech admin requests, it would be ideal to have them all coagulated in one area for easier viewing.

I'm in the process of contacting people to make an update post. If you see this before I contact you then could you please leave a message here to share the status of any builds that you haven't already shared. Alternatively if you're the primary person working on a project for the capture the flag event then could you share an overall picture of what remains to complete with your work.

We can assume that protecting the builds is to be left until the final phases of map preperation.

Reporting in to say that I've finished bushing up the obvious tree slices in jungle2.  If anyone asks about other ones I missed, I will claim that it was an act of Notch and they should be very very scared or something.

Ruin seeding will commence now, will probably take a few hours of effort to finish.

EDIT: Found more tree slices, will fix those up first...

Edited by buzzie71

Pull request for CutePVP created to update it to 1.8 ( this should have been on the radar from the start, its pointless having a nice world if the plugin doesn't even compile )

It should be loaded in as soon as possible and set up with some testing done, the update to 1.8 relies on a beta build of WorldGuard

https://github.com/NerdNu/CutePVP/pull/5

It is also probably worth highlighting that we are approaching the 1 month stage of this event setup ( If you judge by original post date )

We should start leaking screenshots and teasers, I've always been very fond of buzzies way of doing this for PvE. I know we don't want to set a date because committing to something is scary but we really need to start getting word out and building a bit of hype.

Guest Former Staff

It is also probably worth highlighting that we are approaching the 1 month stage of this event setup ( If you judge by original post date )

We should start leaking screenshots and teasers, I've always been very fond of buzzies way of doing this for PvE. I know we don't want to set a date because committing to something is scary but we really need to start getting word out and building a bit of hype.

I'll be making a Big O' Post here shortly containing what needs to be finished and to clean this mess up!

As for teasers we intend to announce the date really soon here and with it I have made a teaser video.

Given the scale of what remains, in terms of plugins, builds, worlds how confident can we be with announcing a date at this moment in time? I understand a big reluctance to share one has been due to a previous CTF (2013 if I recall) where it failed to be ready for the launch date.

My opinion is that we need to set deadlines for all of the remaining tasks and then allow some time for testing anything that remains.

I like the idea of a teaser video! Might I suggest leaking images around the map in the style of MrLoud15's rulebook last CTF where each page was shown in advance with a different image in the background, assuming we have a rulebook set up.

Guest Former Staff

I've spoken with most people today about progress, as promised here is what I found:

• The obstacle course is completed. Prizes have been added and all is working.
  • The maze appears to be around 3/4 completed (I have not spoken to Crockoduck on this but have viewed his template against the maze itself).
  • Mrloud15 has let us know that the PVP Spleef should be completed within 1-2 days.
  • Schererererer's buff pyramid appears to be completed, last update was that minor adaptions are needed for the lowest level to meet the ground (unsure of completion).
  • Buzzie has integrated a large number of his designs across the world and is continuing to do so, with a few more hours of work left.
  • The event lobby now has a generated world for Zburdsal to work in. He is at stage 2/5 of his build and I am helping him to create a geometric-style cone layer by layer.
  • The minigames lobby appears to be mostly done for the spawn room but we have no connections / bridges to the individual minigames.
  • There is no progress on KOTH.
  • There is no visible progress on Spleef but I believe Crockoduck has been working upon something offline(?)
  • Blue team have a walled base with gateways. There are no outer walls (this will be a huge task), there is no spawn base (we need the dimensions from SwitchViewz before we can create one), we have no flag bases to hold the flags (we do not know of their locations yet).
  • Red team have gateways and nearly completed walls. There are no outer walls (this will be a huge task), there is no spawn base (we need the dimensions from SwitchViewz before we can create one), we have no flag bases to hold the flags (we do not know of their locations yet).
  • MasterComma's buff tower is completed.
  • We have three shipwreck ruins to add into the map, all are at /mvtp admin
  • Placement of the final buff tower, originally my pyramid to be used as a team spawn base. Please find a location so we can put this into the world.

• Protections need to be added. Alongside the "blocks" for buff towers to be activated by players. Warp signs to and from the minigames server to the respective team bases or some other way for each team to travel to and from.
  • A rulebook (do we have one made that is up to date for this event)?

Guest Former Staff

I can make a bridge to the race now that it's done. Any particular starting point?

I don't even know KOTH works on here, otherwise I'd do that. Anyone have any ideas or links?

Feel free to work on one towards the central point of the minigames: We can always move it, change the shape or design to fit into SwitchViewz's plans for the minigames lobby. This way it would be easier to work with something already built rather than from scratch.

KOTH - King of the hill, a pvp enabled, team based parkour area where people are given "armour / bow & arrow(s)" to survive and shoot down enemies who are trying to reach the top of the arena. I would be happy to help out with the parkour itself but am not so good at designing a fancy building to contain the event. I found this video (submitted by Electrified) to be helpful in understanding what rooms are required prior to being within the arena and the concept itself within Minecraft.

I can make a bridge to the race now that it's done. Any particular starting point?

I don't even know KOTH works on here, otherwise I'd do that. Anyone have any ideas or links?

There are specific worldguard flags we need to load ( that aren't currently as far as I can see )

From what I understand of the current S setup we would need WGSpawnPointFlag and regionboard to be loaded

• Buzzie has integrated a large number of his designs across the world and is continuing to do so, with a few more hours of work left.

Add also another line of sliced trees to quick-fix on one of the two jungle islands in /home buzzie71 jungle2 ><

EDIT: If leaking is to be done I can start thinking about how to, um...accidentally do that.

Edited by buzzie71

Guest Former Staff

I've finished the walls for the red team. Going to work on Zburdsal's lobby now with tedious world editing.

Guest Former Staff

I've finished world editing Zbursdal's cone, as per his specifications. Hopefully this will help him to move onto the next phase.

Guest Former Staff

I have made a start on KOTH: Not promising anything magnificent so please edit as anyone desires.

My theme was to have the minigame with a hollywood style sign on top of an actual hill where the winner would climb the interior parkour course and emerge from the very top to claim a prize at the King of the Hill sign.

Image from the central platforms:

4mtrqebh.png

Side image: Completely covered to obscure the arena inside.

IZ154mih.png

Image from the back:

zZEaE3Wh.png

Birds-eye-view: X marks the spot of a possible location that a winner could emerge from, climbing the literal hill to claim a prize from near the King of the Hill sign:

QbLPlmDh.png

How you can help: I would like someone to add interior walls to completely remove the feel of being inside a grass and dirt hill. If you are good at designing walls with a good pattern with some pretty lights to keep the place lit up, please make a start! You do not have to adhere to the shape that the outer grass / dirt walls have made. (please leave the ceiling and floor for now)

Alrighty folks, we are aiming for the weekend of June 5th! This means everything needs to be finished by May 30th. This will give us time for last minute touchup's. I have requested the Tech's add CutePvP and other plugins for the event so we can start testing.

This is the master list of things that need to be done or are completed:

[WIP]Minigames Spawn - SwitchViewz - Waiting for all minigames to be completed

[WIP]King of The Hill - Barlimore

[WIP]PvP Spleef - Mrloud15

[WIP]Event Lobby - zburdsal

[WIP]Parkour - CROCKODUCK

[WIP]Maze - CROCKODUCK

[WIP]Team Spawns - SwitchViewz

[WIP]Ruins - buzzie71

[WIP]Custom Spawners - SwitchViewz

[NOT BEGUN]Flag Stands/Towers

[NOT BEGUN]Buff Tower #3

[ON HOLD]Red Outer Walls - I have outline where these should go in RED wool

[ON HOLD]Blue Outer Walls - I have outlined where these should go in BLUE wool

[NOT BEGUN]Move Minigames Closer Together

[NOT BEGUN]Prizes - SwitchViewz

[NOT BEGUN]Rulebook - SwitchViewz

[ON HOLD]Protections - SwitchViewz

[DONE]Red Inner Walls

[DONE]Blue Inner Walls

[DONE]Obstacle Course Minigame

[DONE]schererererer's Buff Tower

[DONE]MasterCommaThe's Buff Tower

[DONE]Custom Spawner Dungeon (Barlimore's Pyramid)

Fastest maze completion time standing for myself is 39 minutes with 3/4 pasted. With that said I would appreciate any help in deciding what prize would be worth this effort? I was thinking some kind of material dump but want to keep the competition fair at the same time.

Guest Former Staff

Fastest maze completion time standing for myself is 39 minutes with 3/4 pasted. With that said I would appreciate any help in deciding what prize would be worth this effort? I was thinking some kind of material dump but want to keep the competition fair at the same time.

I have a modreq open for you as a heads up.

I have a suggestion for SwitchViewz: Consider the minigames world itself, upon one side we have the obstacle course, another we have KOTH, another we have both the maze and pvp spleef so I assume one of those will be on the other side eventually, meaning there will be four paths / walkways of some kind leading out in four directions.

This means there isn't another position logically available for a parkour arena (whereby one or more parkour courses are available to play). However looking at Master's buff tower, KOTH and the obstacle course, parkour is heavily influenced at some point during these three challenges / minigames. Do we need an entire minigame just for parkour too?

I have made a start on KOTH: Not promising anything magnificent so please edit as anyone desires.

How you can help: I would like someone to add interior walls to completely remove the feel of being inside a grass and dirt hill. If you are good at designing walls with a good pattern with some pretty lights to keep the place lit up, please make a start! You do not have to adhere to the shape that the outer grass / dirt walls have made. (please leave the ceiling and floor for now)

I can come help with walls. I'm terrible with Parkour, but i can do patterns and lights!

Guest Former Staff

Thanks to the help of SilverSunset who worked on the ending to KOTH for the winners area and SirTacoface who designed the floors and distrubuted a pattern across the walls and ceiling.

KOTH is now done, minus the prize signs at the end. Please test it if you find time, I have no measurement for whether the course itself is good or not. I have tested all jumps myself so I know they are possible.

Entrance:

w6IwiWth.png

Inside:

nzGmoK8h.png

ErmZIuZh.png

People can choose either team and they are given a set of armour with team colours, alongside a few weapons and potions.

Bt4eDqyh.png

People join their team in boxes like this and then fall into a pool of water.

AGysidBh.png

ztExsxyh.png

I hid this in the corner: It warps people to the middle of the arena:

voaaAYah.png

This means a fear of gravity, so naturally they are teleported high up to fall.

9hlru6Th.png

Exit at the top of the hill for winners:

ZwaZB57h.png

The blue and red boards are there for the winners:

u6SkH2Oh.png