Sign in to follow this  
barneygale

Phantom behaviour change

Part 1: Why Phantoms are shite

If vanilla minecraft was perfect we wouldn't be running paperspigot and dozens of plugins. In my view an extension of the "vanilla with sprinkles" slogan is that we don't make gameplay modifications without good reason, but we do modify vanilla game play quite substantially when it makes sense. Portal restrictions, world size, creeper/enderman/villager/golem behaviour are all non-vanilla and all have a big impact on gameplay.

Mojang have a rich history of adding half-baked additions to the game but phantoms take the cake for me.

First: the combat is boring, substantially more boring than minecraft's janky combat vs skeletons, zombies, creepers. Every 10s seconds you get a change to time a melee or bow shot as a phantom dives. If you're lucky you can hit them with a bow while they're circling - maybe its just me, maybe its a product of playing a US server from the EU, but I find this very difficult - their movement is unpredictable and vaguely "laggy" that makes bow shots really hard.

Second: the "just sleep in a bed" argument - beds are already used for something useful (setting spawn point) and layering phantoms on top of that makes beds less useful. Play styles like my own hermit/vagabond lifestyle are much harder, because I'm constantly having to choose between phantoms and a sensible spawn point.

Given the combat is so boring, and that phantoms take away (rather than add) to the gameplay, I propose we "do something" about phantoms, maybe via a custom plugin.

Part 2: Some suggestions (mutually incompatible)

• Phantoms only spawn if you're wearing elytra (my personal favourite)
  • Phantoms only spawn if you have sufficient armour points
  • Phantoms only spawn during thunderstorms
  • Phantoms only spawn after >~25 days awake

Thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers

I actually agree with you in the fact that, "because it's vanilla", isn't a good excuse to not fix shitty Mojang janks. I've argued way too long that powered elytra are way too overpowered, but have always been countered with bullshit like "But it's vanilla", or "Just don't use it then".

In terms of phantoms, they are very anti-fun when you are building outdoors. You cannot decisively counter them all without being hit, killed, or knocked off your building, without 'sleeping' in a bed that may or may not be far away. If able, I think they need a soft nerf, maybe something you suggested, maybe something else, I don't know for sure.

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2019 at 4:14 PM, barneygale said:

Phantoms only spawn after >~25 days awake

This isn't a bad idea. Could probably even create a custom enchantment to extend the time and offer books as an event and/or admin hunt prize.

• Upvote 1

I like the diamond armour idea because it's harsher on people who have conquered the game, so I wouldn't want an enchantment about it. Eg a person in ideal diamond armour/elytra has them every 3 days, basic enchants on diamond or a lot on iron has them every five days, down to leather armour or none has them every 10-15 days. They could be attracted to people who have an enderchest or enchanting table nearby (which has many false positives) or other non-armour measures of minecraft master.

I build open topped (aka unfinished) homes so they especially don't suit what I will always do.