YouTube Channel

JohnAdams1735

In the ongoing discussions about the servers and their population numbers, the topic of our youtube channel came up again.

In the last post on the old forums (and most of the interest since then) only a few mods expressed any real interest in the channel and/or making promotional videos for the servers, and only one video has been posted to it.

Anyway, the channel/username is MCPublicServers. The idea was to have a positive presence on youtube (to combat AVO and other griefing vids) and just getting our name out there for people looking through Minecraft videos.

Currently, the one video we do have is of the Thanksgiving community project/warp on C tacodude3 lead last year. However, Skylord_Char, buzzinbee, and taco are working on another video, taking footage from all three servers. The idea behind it, again, to just to show people on youtube what the servers have to offer.

Furthermore, if you or any one know has an interest in making videos of the servers (anything from a cool build to PvP footage to a spleef match - anything that captures the "essence" of the servers) and would like to have it posted it to the channel, please contact/have them contact myself with a download link and I will post it to the channel.

Thanks.

• Upvote 3

I would have some interest in making a few videos, but my computer can't properly handle a screen recorder program, unfortunately.  That may be solved eventually, however, so I still have a couple questions.  For instance, what kinds of videos would or would not be accepted to the official channel?  Could the recorders/editors still post their videos to their own channels if they make it to MCPublicServers (I assume the answer there is yes, but it's worth clarifying)?  How would default players making videos go about submitting them for consideration?  How would videos, assuming we get any kind of volume, be sorted?

One video that I think would benefit C and P in particular would be a tutorial on how to download, extract, and properly use previous maps.  The advent of gamerules in vanilla has made doing so much more viable, especially for C (though ice melting is still an issue I haven't yet figured out), and those wishing to explore P maps in creative mode could use directions on how to edit the level.dat file accordingly.  With literally dozens of backup maps available, there's certainly a lot of material there.

I have all the footage from spleef finals last rev that i never finished putting together since I'm a real shoddy editor, but I'm getting round to it now I have some more time. 

It would be amazing if you could edit those together! 

• Upvote 1

I'm going through it all now, a lot of footage but a lot of it is unusable. I could edit in a couple ways though, either round by round multicam, which is boring and jarring (due to bad editing on my part, i'm still trying to figure it all out - i could upload a test clip) or straight up montage style.

What I would like to do (and i would need some help for) is a 'How to Spleef' video, with cinematic shots, and funny banter to rake in those views.  

Guest Former Staff

Moving to Server Discussions after notifying John. You are right BHRossman, the community can be more involved this way.

What about all of buzzie's spleef videos? He has tons of them, and could probably put together a montage of the best matches/moves. Or if he can't, someone could probably grab them off his youtube channel? Just a thought.

Ooooh that's an idea.  I've admittedly been deleting old videos from my hard drive after uploading but let me see what I can piece together...

EDIT: Not sure if I can pull this off due to how I recorded the videos, so don't count on anything from me for the moment.

• Upvote 1

I will do some recording helping people on C tomorrow when I get back (1-2 GMT if you are wandering...) if that helps. Hopefully the helping idea shows off the kind community ;)

I use Fraps(paid, legal edition) and movie maker (yeah I'm a cheapskate :P)

Does anyone have any particular recommendations for what software to use for filming? I've been keen on trying out filming some arena matches recently now that my computer's faring a bit better, and I would love to hear what others prefer using.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations for what software to use for filming? I've been keen on trying out filming some arena matches recently now that my computer's faring a bit better, and I would love to hear what others prefer using.

I'd recommend open broadcaster software. It's free, unlike fraps, and is pretty lightweight in regards to CPU use so there isn't a huge drop in framerate.

NCH Debut is a pretty good screencorder in my experience, and is free, I don't get a too great a framerate with it, but that's due to my laptop being crappy, not the software; it's amazing that it works at all (fraps didn't).  NCH VideoPad isn't a bad editor, either, and it's free too.  It has very little by way of effects and transitions, but it will open and edit anything (including MP4s and FLVs downloaded from YouTube), and unlike Movie Maker, has a separate clip editor screen that works independently of the main sequence, allowing for pinpoint timing.  Not meaning to advertise NCH or anything, that's just what I use.

I may consider giving that OBS a try though, see if I get better performance than Debut.

• 2 weeks later...