• Don't really care
  2. 2. Biomes

• Mix of everything!
    • No mesa biomes
    • Whatever the Creative Admins decide!
    • More icy/snow biomes
    • Other - Explain in comments
  3. 3. Multiverse Worlds?

• Get rid of Classic Creative World (No World Edit, No flying)
    • Give us all the Multiverse Worlds we currently have! (World, "Space", Classic, Redstone, Contest)
    • Other ideas?
  4. 4. Pre-made Map Things

• Give us Cardinal Roads!
    • A bigger Spawn City with a variety of plots?
    • Other - Explain in comments
  5. 5. Contests

• Speed Build!
    • Give us another type of contest! (explain in comments)

Hey Everyone!

We are in the beginning stages of preparing the new map for Creative Revision 30!

This poll and the following suggestions will be taken into consideration for our planning. We anticipate the revision to be launching in February (an announcement will be made 1 month prior to the launch date).

Please provide us any of your ideas in the comments below, we want to gather your ideas for consideration!

~The Cadmins

Completely worldpainted maps are a little easier on the admins than combining natural generation and worldpainting, but I'd like to see a bit more noise/fractal characteristics in the WP terrain. Historically, the terrain has been unnaturally smooth in some areas. Mix up your WP brushes for an overly jagged start then use the level tool to make things smoother for build sites. With access to worldedit, clearing land is no longer the chore that incited such smooth, flat land on C.

Custom biomes are always fun - add in some novel trees for a spooky forest, giant mushrooms for a magical vibe, or jagged canyon cliffs - the terrain/biome is the background upon which one constructs, and is just as integral a part of the build as a whole.

If there are cardinal roads they should connect semi-realistically to surface road networks - I quite liked the highways from a few revisions ago.

Just a wild idea: have a contest to choose the best builds of each type (residential, skyscraper, industrial, etc.) to feature in a fully curated spawn. This way cadmins could construct a true skyline, and everything at spawn proper (which newly joining players would first see) would be completed and represent some of the best builds the players on the server have produced.

Yetanothercontestidea: have a prestigious contest that runs the full length of the revision (a slowbuild contest, if you will). Not sure what to do for a prize though.

Speedbuilds are of course still a mainstay to keep around.

• Upvote 3

The map this rev was a bit plain - sure, it was flat land everywhere but there was an absence of large hills. I like previous revisions' mix of naturally generated terrain and WorldPainter.

Mesa biomes are fine, but they were too big in rev 28 - that's probably where all the hubbub came from. Custom stuff is great, I like seeing large redwood trees and the like.

I don't really use Classic Creative, but I don't understand the switch from space to regular spawn in the middle of the rev.

Speaking of spawn, spawn should give immediate access to spawn city/randloc. Perhaps make it like P by creating a maze of rules then a doorway to spawn city/randloc sign.

Cardinal roads should exist for accessibility and guidance purposes, but maybe the freeway themes don't float everyone's boat. I personally love them, but other people with themed builds might not think so.

Speed build should continue as usual.

• Upvote 1

I picked other on pre-made things.

I'd like to see a map with cardinal roads and no spawn city. I find the spawn city plots to be too "cookie cutter" like. Here's an example of a fun rev with no spawn city and cardinal roads for those who didn't experience it.

iMKBWvu.png

• Upvote 5

I'm with Unce and his beautiful use of the revision 14 map.

-No worldpaint.

-Cardinal roads.

-NO SPAWN CITY DAMNIT.

-make a separate citybuild map where we can build various cities that are very distanced apart so it encourages highway creation and expansion that wont involve someones mini burning clan fort on green carpet directly next to the beautifully built spleef arena. 

-NO COMPLEX SPAWNS DAMNIT, SEE REV 14's SPAWN? COPY THAT EXACT SPAWN RIGHT INTO THE NEW MAP... BETTER YET, JUST GET A COPY OF THE REV 14 MAP BEFORE IT BEGAN GETTING BUILT ON, AND USE THAT FOR THE NEW MAP. 

• Upvote 2

I don't think that'd work because we request such large regions justifiably that if only one or two people abandon their big plot it is really obvious. We could have a 'spawn city' with nothing done to the land since generation/worldpainter/spawn paste-in, but the mods only give out regions up to 100x100 in the spawn city area, say up to 300m from spawn. Last few times I saw that it looks pretty terrible because of the height people built to. Maybe have the regions given out within 50m of the edge of spawn are 50x50 and only up to y100.

• Upvote 1

I liked this rev's world painted map. However I feel it had too much water. Boat builds are indeed always beautiful, and I understand the desire for cool rivers, but these rivers were more like seas. Another drawback to a world painted map is lack of generated underground content, like caves and chasms. Edit- But we can just WE in caves and stuff. I guess WE'ing a sea for some boats is more difficult.

I think having a reductive vote to remove Creative Classic is a bit cruel. I don't use it myself but I appreciate those who do like it. Perhaps scale down the map to make room for other multiverses? I don't know the technicalities.

Perhaps the main overworld could be 'zoned' but not plotted, with cardinal roads going through. City zone, surburb zone, pixel zone, ancient antiquity zone (for castles, temples, ancient ruins), derp-zone (I've always thought a zone dedicated to extreme freestyle derp could be interesting), a parkour zone for various parkour maps. Perhaps the cardinal roads could reflect the theme for that zoned area. Roads change to city roads for city zone, rural roads for antiquity zones, derp roads for derp zones. This idea is a little rough because it has so much micro management. Perhaps have a very simple Cardinal spawn building with rules, then a freebuild 'derp' zone around it, then the cardinal roads lead out to the other themed zones scattered around the map. 

Speedbuild contests are fantastic. Perhaps a similar institution for spleef could be arranged if there is interest. Spleef tournaments? 

I'm also of the opinion to start the map as big as possible, if only because it will make the cartograph super pretty. With the expanding scheme, anything outside the initial parameter is not rendered in the cartograph. Although, previous cartographs did not have that bug? I do appreciate the optimized landuse the staggered expansion lends itself to though.

Schererer's slow build contest idea is cool. Perhaps there could be a 'warp of the month' deal, every two weeks or so a new warp is given honors in the server announcements.

Edited by aMossyLog
  • Upvote 3

I'd like some world paint just so that finding appropriate terrain isn't too problematic, but I'll echo others saying they don't want a spawn city. The uncontrolled sprawl of previous revs was very charming, in a way.

Build competitions...hmm...not sure if there is enough activity to make it work, but maybe team build competitions (larger plot area and longer rounds) would be nice!

• Upvote 2

Guest Former Staff

I'll echo others saying they don't want a spawn city. The uncontrolled sprawl of previous revs was very charming, in a way.

Not having a spawn city can be very nice. The image Unce shared is a really good example of it working well.

Going back quite a number of revisions, I remember when it didn't work well - The quality of builds surrounding spawn was extremely low (many partially built builds which looked a mess), this resulted in a lengthy cleanup / relocation of builds with new regions set up, just to ensure that people's first experience logging in was a bit more pleasant.

Having a spawn city goes some way to encourage a higher quality of builds nearby, which to my knowledge is one of the primary reasons for using it. I like Schererererer's suggestion to try a slightly different approach with a curated area surrounding the spawn edges.

World edit has changed the game quite a bit in the sense that current maps tend to feature many larger claims / builds, whereas before world edit, people were building very closely together.

I enjoyed the time I got to spend on the classic creative world. Personally I find it a little more fun than using world edit to build. Challenger2 and I were talking about this yesterday a bit; Only myself and one or two other people have made any significant number of edits on the world. Assuming that classic creative returns, perhaps it could be an even smaller generated world? Or to hijack yet another of Schererererer's ideas above somewhat, possibly bring the existing multiverse world across to the new rev. That way builds could develop over a number of revs potentially.

On the second revision I played upon, spawn was surrounded by roads both cardinal and inner / outer squares. This encouraged many people to build up against them (myself included!) Even with world edit usage, people could still build together in such locations.

Speed build seems very popular but it would be good to see spleef make a return. NEVAstop's spleef arenas used to be a mainstay feature of every creative revision. If something could be built to that scale and quality for the new revision, as a community or collaborative build then we could have staff-hosted spleef matches, where the floors could be rolled back for a new round.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally would enjoy having one "slow" build contest that features structures that are heavy in redstone usage.

all you did this rev is work on redstone stuff lol... but I do like the idea of redstone and "slow"... but make it a little earlier please! I miss out on most of them because I cant stay up that late... Maybe others disagree but I like to participate.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did like the custom lots to build a house. However I think that is popular for 1-2 weeks tops then it fades.  But it is nice for the casual C player.

I like the naturally generated terrain. Easier to blend in to. The world painted stuff looks nice but once you terraform flat/holes to build it is hard to match up to the natural world painter terrain.

• 2 weeks later...